Upgrading tank size

1. benharmer87 Member Member

I am getting a 55 gal tank and I was thinking of semi aggressive with angel fish but dont know what else would go good with them. Anyoune have suggestion? Oh I'm buying this from someone else and im wondering if the bb will survive when the tank gets emptied? Does it need to be recycled?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the filter's been running until you get the tank then the bacteria will be fine, if it hasn't but has been kept wet some bacteria will survive & recycling shouldn't take long, if it's been allowed to dry out then you'll have to start from scratch.
    If you want angels then semi aggressive fish probably isn't a good idea as those fins will be far too tempting, angels need a tall tank, at least 15"
    I have seen some lovely set up with Gbr's, angels & cardinal tetras

3. benharmer87 Member Member

What is Gbr's?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

German blue rams

5. benharmer87 Member Member

Nice looking fish! Thank you

6. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Research the Rams thoroughly if you plan on getting them. They are quite sensitive and need an established tank. The best thing to do is a dd them last, a few months after the cycle has been completed.

I have a 75G Angel tank, it only has 3 Angels and a Bolivian Ram at the moment (check them out too, also lovely!) but I used to have two Gold Rams in there. These are a colour morph of the GBR and also worth a little look at!

During setting up the tank I have asked for stocking advice and the larger tetras have come up lots (congos, widows, phantoms, cardinals etc), corydoras and rams were the other two that kept getting mentioned.xx

7. benharmer87 Member Member

Thanks alot. How many angels will you suggest for a 55 gal

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I'd only stock two Angels in a 55g tank. They can get a bit aggressive against a third angel if two pair up, you may be able to get away with it if your 55g tank is 48" or more in Length and you have structures set up at opposite ends of the tank.

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I would agree with two. I only really want 2 in the 75G but there were three bedraggled angels in need of a home in the LFS (and one is left out by the other two, not bullied but definitely ignored).

It's more territory and aggression with angels than how many you would put in.xx

10. benharmer87 Member Member

Yay im getting my tank in a few hours!!! Now when I refill and add prime do I wait 24 hours again before addint the fish? What do I do exactly? Wanna make sure I do things thee right way

They have three fish that's coming with the tank. A cory catfish and two unknown

11. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Since its a 55g tank, get 6 angels and let them pair. Keep two pairs and return the rest.

12. benharmer87 Member Member

So if I keep two pair could I fit other fish in it?

13. delta5 Well Known Member Member

With the right layout and "angelfish friendly" fish I don't see why not. What filtration will you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. benharmer87 Member Member

Its an aquatech 30-60

15. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Sometimes pairing takes time. If you are going to get a group and plan to return them, you may not get your money back if it's an extended period of time.

As far as semi aggressive fish, I know dwarf gourami are not major fin nippers (ime).

16. benharmer87 Member Member

Ill probably get two and see what happens

17. anz Member Member

If you are using Tetra Safe start (TSS) you should add Prime or other water conditioner, wait 24 hours then add TSS and fish. If you are not using TSS, no need to wait 24 hours to add fish.