Upgrading Tank Size -Cycle it?

rober297

Hey all,

Sorry if I'm asking a question that's probably been answered a million times over!

We're looking at upgrading our tank size from a 20 gallon to somewhere around a 35-55. We have 5 longfin Tetras who are anywhere between 3 and 5 years old. They are old but, I'm convinced that they are the most low maintenance hardy fish ever. We just moved houses recently and all of them did amazingly well with that process. Omg did that suck though! Lol

Do I need to do a full cycle with the upgrade tank? Or will they be okay if I move all of their water and substrate to the bigger new tank and get them moved over all in one day? That's a lot of new water for me to feel confident to do it without asking on here!

ProudPapa

There's no need to cycle the new tank as long as you're moving the filter, along with it's media. You don't really need to move the water from the old tank, but it won't hurt.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Thats what I did..... filter and all the gravel, deco, all the water etc. Run both filters together for a month or so. Sloooowly add new stock to let your cycle keep up. I did 20 to 55 with just a very small spike. I slowly switched out the deco and added gravel to it. I would suggest putting most of the water in before you scoop any gravel so the water isnt all cloudy. I would like strain the gravel but not wash it to get some of the sludge off. I guess thats assuming you have gravel...lol

Upvote 0

e_watson09

Just take the filter media from the old tank and put it in the new next to your new filter. Stock slow as your BB will grow over time.

In comparison there is a very insignificant amount of BB in gravel and on decorations so honestly I never bother with doing that. But I jump start cycles on tanks all the time.

Upvote 0

Sarah1230ox

Just take the filter media from the old tank and put it in the new next to your new filter. Stock slow as your BB will grow over time.

In comparison there is a very insignificant amount of BB in gravel and on decorations so honestly I never bother with doing that. But I jump start cycles on tanks all the time.
Sorry to jump on someone elses post...im upgrading my tank today! And plan on using new gravel and new decorations, so they don't carry much bb that will cause a mini cycle without the old ones?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jojo205
  • Question
Replies
Views
rtaylor1
Replies
Views
bored411