Upgrading tank, looking for stocking suggestions CPD

PhilodendronM

Hello!

I'm looking for some suggestions, I will be upgrading my tank from a 10 Gallon, to a 15 Gallon Fluval Flex after my move.

I currently have 12 CPDs, 3 Chillies(retiered), Cherry Shrimp, and Assasin Snails.

I am a bit overstocked at the moment, but I plan on keeping all my shrimp, with the snails, and the Chillies in the 10 gallon, and keeping the 12 CPDs in the 15 Gallon. Ill either find someone else with Chillies, or try to find more for the school.

I was wondering in the 15 Gallon what my stocking options are, and what you guys may recommend. Could I get more CPds, or should I add another type of fish. Maybe Normans Lampeye, or one beta?

I'm sure I will have a lot of opinions about my choices thus far, and my plans for my next set up- but I'm looking for you guys's honest opinions. Thanks!

lilirose

I think that 12 fish the size of CPDs is quite heavy stocking for a 15 gallon. You could possibly add a couple more, or add several much smaller fish (like the lampeye). I wouldn't advise a Betta because your tank would be quite overstocked at that stage.

imba

12 CPDs in a 15 gallon would be sufficient and quite well stocked I'd think. Especially the fluval flex as it doesn't have a large footprint.

Add some shrimps and I think you're set.I wouldn't add a centrepiece fish, as it will be overstocked imo

FinalFins

I have CPD's and they are very much more social in larger numbers so I can say either more chillis or cpds.

sfsamm

12 CPDs in 15 gallon is far from overstocked.... but I would advise against another species. My experience is that they will harass any betta I add no matter what the setup, 6-30+ adults or even just half size fry tend to harass any betta I've tried. 15 gallon really is not large enough to add another schooling species or a centerpiece type fish. You could probably stay at 12 and add 2 colorful mystery snails, 3-4 nerites, a few shrimp to start a second colony, etc but I'd personally say not another fish. You could also easily add another up to 8 CPDs to the tank if they're the only inhabitants and not have to worry about over stocking.

Tiny fish and a tiny bioload. I at one point had 40+ adults and juveniles in a 20 gallon with a cull shrimp colony with zero water quality concerns or issues. I breed them and frequently use a 10 gallon tank to grow them to about half size and usually my spawns net me 25-30 fry that make that first 4 weeks. I generally try to stay at 2 adults per gallon (or less) for any length of time just because I do have a life and maintenance days do tend to slip depending on my schedule and I don't want to have my water quality degraded ad danios in general especially CPDs are some of my favorite fish.

PhilodendronM

12 CPDs in 15 gallon is far from overstocked.... but I would advise against another species. My experience is that they will harass any betta I add no matter what the setup, 6-30+ adults or even just half size fry tend to harass any betta I've tried. 15 gallon really is not large enough to add another schooling species or a centerpiece type fish. You could probably stay at 12 and add 2 colorful mystery snails, 3-4 nerites, a few shrimp to start a second colony, etc but I'd personally say not another fish. You could also easily add another up to 8 CPDs to the tank if they're the only inhabitants and not have to worry about over stocking.

Tiny fish and a tiny bioload. I at one point had 40+ adults and juveniles in a 20 gallon with a cull shrimp colony with zero water quality concerns or issues. I breed them and frequently use a 10 gallon tank to grow them to about half size and usually my spawns net me 25-30 fry that make that first 4 weeks. I generally try to stay at 2 adults per gallon (or less) for any length of time just because I do have a life and maintenance days do tend to slip depending on my schedule and I don't want to have my water quality degraded ad danios in general especially CPDs are some of my favorite fish.
Thank you, I've been getting all kinds of wildly different opinions on stocking for CPDs for a while, so I'm really unsure about what is best. I'm definitely more interested in having more CPDs if at all, rather than adding a beta, but a lot of people have said to me before that I will I'll be overstocked regardless so I'm not quite sure what to do.

sfsamm

Thank you, I've been getting all kinds of wildly different opinions on stocking for CPDs for a while, so I'm really unsure about what is best. I'm definitely more interested in having more CPDs if at all, rather than adding a betta, but a lot of people have said to me before that I will I'll be overstocked regardless so I'm not quite sure what to do.
I keep them and spawn them and can assure you that 12 in a 15 is in no fashion overstocked.

I had 11 in a 5 gallon aquarium for about 3-4 months and nitrate on a weekly basis never hit 20 with only a 2" fissidens moss carpet and a single small volunteer crypt lutia plant I think I may have had a sprig or two of anacharis in there for some of that time..... I do plant to varying degrees every tank and my CPDs generally have a well but not densely planted tank as I like to encourage natural behavior in them. So of course that would hold some effect but I don't generally have fast growing plants with them so the nitrate absorption from plants would definitely have a minimal impact. I do perform 50% water change or better every 7-10 days (usually) on all of my aquariums.

FinalFins

Now 11 in a 5 gal is overstocked.

sfsamm

Now 11 in a 5 gal is overstocked.
I would definitely not recommend it, not for bioload reasons but because they do require more space to be happy for sure.

imba

Thank you, I've been getting all kinds of wildly different opinions on stocking for CPDs for a while, so I'm really unsure about what is best. I'm definitely more interested in having more CPDs if at all, rather than adding a betta, but a lot of people have said to me before that I will I'll be overstocked regardless so I'm not quite sure what to do.

If in doubt, I err on the safe side, and keeping stocking low but that's just me.

Once you set up, give your current stocking a month or so to settle. You might realise maybe you'd like "less is more". And if you feel it's too empty then go ahead adding a few more CPDs. I keep 11 in my 20 gallon and I think it looks just right. CPDs are active little fish.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom