upgrading saltwater tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by llfish, Jan 11, 2013.

1. llfishWell Known MemberMember

My husband and I were thinking, we just set up our new 75g made it a freshwater, and we started kicking ourselves in the butt, realizing the 75g setup downstairs would have been better for upgrading out 55g saltwater.

SO! WE are moving things around, the 75g fresh is going to downgrade to a 55g, and our 55g saltwater is moving into the new 75g downstairs..where the summer temperature is more stable and in general it will have better equiptment and a better stand.

My question is...will I lose my saltwater cycle? I am moving everything over and only adding a bag of fresh sand. Not to concerned with the freshwater cycle as it is still cycling.

Anyone upgrade their saltwater have any advice?

2. luke355027355027Well Known MemberMember

If i am correct im pretty sure that in an established saltwater tank the cycle is in the live rock. So unless the live rock drys up you should have a cycle

3. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Your cycle should stay stable but if you are worried you could always get a bottle Bio-Spira.

4. llfishWell Known MemberMember

Well moved everything over last friday and added 40g of new saltwater. Unfortunatey today I am seeing ammonia about .5 and I am panicking! I am going to do a 20 % wc tomorrow, I just mixed the water so I will let it sit. Nitrites are good ( thank goodness) I am surprised I am getting a spike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice