Question Upgrading/replacing Filter

nzrobj

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been reading through the forums about building your own filters etc and I don't really fancy spending 20-30 on a set of cartridges when I could spend the same amount and have something that will last me far longer!

This is the current setup. It seems silly having a cartridge on the second half, to begin with.

What I am thinking of doing is moving all of the noodles to the right chamber then place filter wool first then have the sponges on top to filter out the larger debris first. The second chamber would be dedicated to bacterial filtration with more filter wool to catch anything that has made its way through.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, a bad idea, a waste of time or what. Some feedback would be awesome and appreciated

nzrobj

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will also be adding a prefilter to the intake to catch the bulk of things too

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@nzrobj, welcome to fishlore forum

I like your DIY style!

Is that a built-in overhead trickle tray/sump type filter?

I'm guessing water enters from the top and left side, then flows toward the right?

If so, then I think that would work well.

Run it and make some adjustments as needed.

Here is a link to a thread on the forum that make be of interest to you, adding DIY media to filters.

The filters used for examples in that thread will be different, but the concepts will be the same and can be readily applied to your set-up.

Can you post some more pics of how your filter works?

Those are not common here.

I am sure other members will be interested at taking a look at it!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What filter are you using? Yes that is a good idea. The only HOB filter i run is set up like that. Cartridges are overpriced and useless so i modified a HOB to my liking. Almost zero maintenance and much more efficient.

nzrobj

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@nzrobj, welcome to fishlore forum

I like your DIY style!

Is that a built-in overhead trickle tray/sump type filter?

I'm guessing water enters from the top and left side, then flows toward the right?

If so, then I think that would work well.

Run it and make some adjustments as needed.

Here is a link to a thread on the forum that make be of interest to you, adding DIY media to filters.

The filters used for examples in that thread will be different, but the concepts will be the same and can be readily applied to your set-up.

Can you post some more pics of how your filter works?

Those are not common here.

I am sure other members will be interested at taking a look at it!

The filter is built into the top of the tank. It uses a powerhead pump to push water through the spray bar above the filter media on the left then as you have said flows to the right then out through two outlets.. not sure why but one has a "nozzle" and the other just dumps straight down into the tank. I think it's a pretty cool and versatile setup.

Intake

This is the far end where the water exits the filter and into the tank. You can see the two holes I was talking about.

Outlet

Once it comes time to change the filter and remove the cartridges for something more affordable and no doubt better I will post up a photo here so everyone can see what I have done. Also - ignore the annoying air tubes - the suction cup clips that I bought are absolutely useless and I'm going to have to find better ones.

mytmouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Interesting concept! I've definitely never seen a setup like that before, but I think that you hit the nail on the head with your plan. When you say filter wool are you referring to the bulk filter floss rolls like pinky floss or the polyfill? The pads will make your life easy for sure once you cut out the size you need. I haven't gotten into using the polyfil yet, but I probably will once it's time to replace my chemi pure just to see if my water stays just as clear. I will say this, once I started "hotrodding" my filters, nothing gave me more satisfaction during my water changes to rinse all that nastiness out of my media as a witness to its effectiveness. Plus, it's cheap! LOL!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom