Upgrading my female bettas tank

Axanna

I’ve had my girl koi betta for almost a year and I was thinking she needs a bigger tank. She is in a five gallon with a built in filter so she loses about .5 of a gal in space. I have the perfect spot in my room to put this 36 gallon bow front tank and I was thinking it would be a great upgrade for her. The biggest aquarium I have had is a 10gal which houses my other male betta.

How should I go about doing this? Is it a good idea to do this? I also wanted to add some other fish to the tank if I was gunna get it aswell. Maybe some ember tetras and some khuli loaches with my female betta? I would like to hear what others think.

Demeter

I have a planted 36gal bowfront with a male HMPK betta, dwarf rainbows species, female guppies, dwarf emerald rasboras, pygmy corries, BN plecos, peacock gudgeons and cherry shrimp. The betta gets on fine with them, he occasionally flares at the guppies but he does them no harm.

If you decide to set one up make sure it is well furnished with driftwood and plants. Plants work wonders for keeping bettas happy and letting fish get away from each other, plus they help with water quality. Anubias and hornwart grow well with the cheap LED light that came with my 36gal kit.

bumblinBee

Absolutely, I think it sounds like a wonderful idea, and I'm sure she'd love a tank upgrade! If you haven't had an opportunity to test her with other fish however, be forwarned that she may not have the right temperament for a community tank. If you plant heavily, provide a lot of cover, and introduce the other tankmates to the tank before your betta, you'll be setting yourself up for the best chances of success. I highly recommend getting a lot of floating plants with long roots, frogbit for instance.

Note that you should always have a back up plan. Make sure you've got time available to observe her interactions when you introduce her into the new tank with other fish, you'll likely be able to tell if it's a good or bad fit within the first few hours after introducing her. If it doesn't work out, and she becomes aggressive, you'll need to have a tank available for her to return to.

Axanna

Absolutely, I think it sounds like a wonderful idea, and I'm sure she'd love a tank upgrade! If you haven't had an opportunity to test her with other fish however, be forwarned that she may not have the right temperament for a community tank. If you plant heavily, provide a lot of cover, and introduce the other tankmates to the tank before your betta, you'll be setting yourself up for the best chances of success. I highly recommend getting a lot of floating plants with long roots, frogbit for instance.

Note that you should always have a back up plan. Make sure you've got time available to observe her interactions when you introduce her into the new tank with other fish, you'll likely be able to tell if it's a good or bad fit within the first few hours after introducing her. If it doesn't work out, and she becomes aggressive, you'll need to have a tank available for her to return to.
I have a planted 36gal bowfront with a male HMPK betta, dwarf rainbows species, female guppies, dwarf emerald rasboras, pygmy corries, BN plecos, peacock gudgeons and cherry shrimp. The betta gets on fine with them, he occasionally flares at the guppies but he does them no harm.

If you decide to set one up make sure it is well furnished with driftwood and plants. Plants work wonders for keeping bettas happy and letting fish get away from each other, plus they help with water quality. Anubias and hornwart grow well with the cheap LED light that came with my 36gal kit.
Well I bought the tank today yayyy I am so excited to set it up with plants and sticks and stuff. I was wondering since I already have three small fish tanks going, to get the cycle of this tank started faster can I just add water from my other fish tanks to the new one ? And also I was thinking of using sand as the substrate but I’ve never used it before and I’m worried about ammonia pockets because I heard once that was a thing. I am excited to start this tank and get some other fishies for it I was thinking of a bristle nose pleco since they r bottom fish but I’d like some other ideas for the tank aswell as my female betta

Demeter

Well I bought the tank today yayyy I am so excited to set it up with plants and sticks and stuff. I was wondering since I already have three small fish tanks going, to get the cycle of this tank started faster can I just add water from my other fish tanks to the new one ? And also I was thinking of using sand as the substrate but I’ve never used it before and I’m worried about ammonia pockets because I heard once that was a thing. I am excited to start this tank and get some other fishies for it I was thinking of a bristle nose pleco since they r bottom fish but I’d like some other ideas for the tank aswell as my female betta

Only do an inch or two of sand, there may be air pockets but nothing to really worry about. I get air pockets and have yet to run into problems because of them. Add Malaysian trumpet snails to sift the sand if you want.

As for getting the new tank cycled, use some of the dirty filter media from your other tanks. Adding old tank water does next to nothing, you want the media where colonies of beneficial bacteria live. Keep in mind you’ll either have to throw fish in right away or add ammonia yourself to feed and grow the good bacteria in the new filter.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
thatfishlover122
  • Question
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
FishFor2018
Replies