Upgrading From 8g Biorb To 20g Aqueon Hex Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TanyaP, Jun 12, 2018.

1. TanyaP

TanyaP New Member Member

Hi there,

I currently have 3 guppies in a fully cycled 8 gallon Biorb. I "think" I understand the concept of bio/chem/mechanical filtration (but I did flunk high school biology). I am wondering if I will have to go through the cycle process again due to the different filtration in the Biorb and Aqueon quietflo. I have attached a pic of the Biorb filtration system for your reference, but I'm wondering:
    • if I transferred the ceramic media from the Biorb into my new tank (it's just like gravel on the bottom of the tank), would that be enough to keep the new tank cycled?
    • if so, how long would I have to keep the old media in the tank (how long until the Aqueon filter builds up enough beneficial bacteria on it's own?)
    Many thanks for any info you can provide :)
    2_1423.jpg

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I would say it’s not enough to fully cycle your new tank but it would definitely help it out alot. You can add everything that was in your 8 gal to your 20 and either add the fish or bottled ammonia to increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in your tank. To seed the tank, it would have to be in there for around 2-4 weeks.

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Transferring the ceramic media from the biorb will not cause the new tank to be instantly cycled, but it will greatly accelerate the cycling process. Instead of waiting 4-6 weeks for the tank to cycle, it could be ready in 4-6 days. Maybe less.

Using the water and gravel from the biorb will help accelerate the cycle as well.

Unfortunately I can't answer a "how long" question with a number. Testing the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will tell you when the tank is ready.

4. OP
    OP
    TanyaP

TanyaP New Member Member

Do you think adding Tetra SafeStart would be a good idea?

5. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I don't see it helping much when you're already getting much faster help from the ceramic media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice