Upgrading From 10 Gallon Aquarium To 20 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Mooky, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Mooky

Mooky Valued Member Member

I currently have a Marineland 10 gallon tank with one male swordtail. I recently purchased a Marina 20 gallon aquarium kit on Amazon, that I'll be getting in a couple of days. The new aquarium will have to go in the same spot as the 10 gallon because that's the only spot I have to put it. I would like to use the same gravel, bubbler and plastic plants that I have now. What is the best way to do this? I know I should have two females to go with my male, but I really want different types of fish that are colorful. I thought about maybe using the filter that I have now on my 10-gallon which will fit a 20 gallon. I bought it to replace the other the BioWheel that came with it. I really want to use the filter that comes with the new kit. I also read online that I could use both filters for a couple of weeks, but I don't think I will have room for two. Hope someone can help me out here. Thanks in advance.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Could you get a 29 or 30 gallon instead? 29 gallons is minimum for swordtails.

You don't need females. If you get some you may become overrun with fry.

What other fish do you like?

Do you understand the nitrogen cycle? You will need to move the current filter to the new tank or you will lose your cycle. Alternatively you could move the filter media from your current filter to the new filter.

3. OP
    OP
    Mooky

Yes. I understand. I just bought a 20 gallon and getting it shipped via Amazon. I don't have room for anything larger. The new filter is different. Has slim cartridge. I don't want to get more male swordtails because I read not a good idea. I am open to suggestions on which fish to get. Just want some that'll do well in 20 gal and are pretty and colorful. I'm stuck with the swordtail until it dies. What fish would do well with him?

The filter cartridge for current filter won't fit in new one because it's a different filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  4. BottomDweller

How about this stocking
    1 Swordtail
    8 panda cories
    6-8 skirt tetras or 8-10 CPD
    1 honey gourami

I would run both filters on the new tank fora t least 6 weeks then

5. OP
    OP
    Mooky

Don't think both will fit because of the hood.

Also, how long until I can add more fish and how long in between different types before I can add more?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  6. BottomDweller

Could you take the hood off and lower the water level?

I would add 2-4 every 2 weeks

7. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You can run both filters, just don't use the lid/light assembly that comes with the 20 gallon until you're ready to use just one filter.

You can transfer the substrate over, keeping it wet/moist as much as possible, but you'll need more to fill the 20-gallon. So just combine old and new.

8. OP
    OP
    Mooky

I need to use the light if I'm gonna put my swordtail in, right? If I don't use the hood, no light for him. I read on another site that I can squeeze the filter junk from 10 gallon filter onto new one.

9. BottomDweller

He doesn't need a light.

"squeezing the filter junk into the 10 gallon filter" isn't going to help cycle it

If you really can't run bot filters then I would fishless cycle the new tank and filter while the swordtail remains in the 10 gallon with the old filter until the new tank is cycled.

10. OP
    OP
    Mooky

I can't do a fishless cycle because the new tank will have to go where the 10 gallon one is. Have no other space. Plus I want to use my decorations, gravel, and bubbler from the 10 gallon. If it doesn't need a light, do I still have to wait 6 weeks before adding any more fish?

11. BottomDweller

I meant you would still need to leave the old filter on for at least 6 weeks.

12. OP
    OP
    Mooky

Ok..I have my 10 gallon on tile counter next to my stove. I figured out how I can move it over on my bar that's close it and just leave the fish in it and do a fishless cycle. I will just get new gravel and put some of old gravel in stocking under filter. I still want to use my decorations. Can I just add them in the new tank later after it's cycled?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  13. BottomDweller

Sure you can add the decorations at any point!

If you want to use the old gravel you can move it over at any point too. You can cycle the 20 with no substrate and add it after cycling or you can take it out of the 10 (the swordtail will be fine with no substrate) and move it before cycling, or even during cycling.

14. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

To cycle, I recommend using Tetra Safe Start. It cycles your tank in 14 days.

15. OP
    OP
    Mooky

Thanks so much! Been very helpful. Do I need to test the water when cycling using Safe Start? If so, how do I do it? Don't think I did it right with my 10 gallon when I 1st set it up. I had bad algae bloom and tank was cloudy once I found out how to get rid of it, no major problems after that. Once tank has cycled and swordtail is in, should I wait a cpl more weeks before adding anything else?

16. BottomDweller

You don't need to test the water very regularly if there are no fish in but I would recommend testing the water at least twice a week to see how the cycle's going, if you need to dose more ammonia or if you need to do a water change.

17. OP
    OP
    Mooky

Ok. What about the adding fish question? After I add swordtail, wait cpl weeks to add anything else?

18. BottomDweller

Yes I would wait 2-3 weeks just to make sure everything is going well

19. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

It is not recommended to test the water while cycling with Tetra SafeStart. You will see inaccurate test results when cycling with TSS which will cause you to think something's wrong

20. OP
    OP
    Mooky

Ok thanks. So when should I put him in? If safe start cycles in 14 days, wait until then?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice