Question Upgrading Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiffRanger

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 25 gallon bowfront tank currently with three platys and one algae eater. For filtration I've been using a Penguin Biowheel HOB filter that I filled with sponge instead of the cartridges. It's been working decently since I started cycling and took the cycle pretty well. Since I added fish, it's been doing...ok, I guess. I get small ammonia spikes (less than .5) once per week or so. They clear up with a dose of Prime and Stability within a day or two and I do water changes when the nitrates get high. The fish seem to be fine - all active and eating with no signs of stress. The issue I've been having the last couple days, though, is that the filter has been running over through the overflow channel. I took out the sponge pieces, swished them out in some tank water (I cleaned the gravel today, which I do into a bucket) and rearranged them in the filter chamber and it stopped the overflowing but I worry this will be an ongoing problem since the filter itself wasn't designed to use sponge medium and in general it seems pretty inefficient since the sponge needs to be wedged into place in pieces. I'm wondering if I should invest in a different type of filter - canister being the one I'm considering. They tend to be pricey but if it can filter the water more efficiently and do a better job, it will be worth it. I've only had fish in my tank for about a month and a half and so far only have four. I obviously would like some more but I don't want to risk it overwhelming an inadequate filter.

EMR

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can honestly get by with a larger HOB filter. I know others will chime in with which specific ones. I believe you’ll want one with a 250GPH rating. But canisters will also serve your purpose well. I’ve got one for sale here if that suits your fancy LOL

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
canisters are good, but not sure if its worth it for a 25 gallon tank.

a large HOB would be more than adequate for a 25g.

either way, you'd definitely want to use a ceramic media like biomax. much more surface area for BB to grow on versus any other bio media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 63 66.3%

Top Bottom