Upgrading DURING cycling?

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So, I have been 'trying' to cycle my 10 gallon. I am on day 3 of this current cycle with SuperBac. My readings are not making me confident that this tank will quickly cycle.

So, I got a 20long today that is the replacement for the 10. I want to move everything into the 20 from the 10.

Should I wait till it finishes cycling or untill I am sure its not going to cycle. Should I just move everything over anyway?

I have another bottle of SuperBac that is for a 20 gallon. I also have a 50mL bottle of TSS on the way.

Should I just move everything and dump in the SuperBac and then if nothing happens in the next week dump in the TSS when it gets here?

I also can rinse my filter media from my 40gal in the tank to hopefully pass over some BB.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Would you be moving everything into the 20 gallon? Gravel, filter, decor, etc. If so, then I'd think that you would be fine moving everything over.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
catsma_97504 said:
Would you be moving everything into the 20 gallon? Gravel, filter, decor, etc. If so, then I'd think that you would be fine moving everything over.
Yes, everything is going over. I am going to move all the filter media over from the 10 gallon filter to the 20 gallon filter. There is also a whisper3 filter in the 10 gallon that will be going into the 20 gallon (this will be for a Q tank if it needs to be set up in the future). The sand is going, the decorations, and the animals are all going over also.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since you're only three days in I say go ahead and do it as long as you're moving everything over. There isn't much progress to lose at this point.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I did it tonight. I set up the 20 and took down the 10, I used the filter media, sand, and decorations. I also swished the filters from my 40gal (n-a-s-t-y) into the tank. From the stirred up sand and the nasty filter swooshing, my tank is dingy and grey right now. I am sure it will be fine by tomorrow. Hopefully this will get my tank jumpstarted.

The only thing in the tank now is Drain-O my ACF and 2 fathead minnows.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Good luck with your new tank set up. Hopefully it will cycle quickly.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can put some of the media from the 40 in the new tank's filter you wouldn't have to worry about Superbac or TSS. Swishing it around doesn't do a lot of good.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jaysee said:
If you can put some of the media from the 40 in the new tank's filter you wouldn't have to worry about Superbac or TSS. Swishing it around doesn't do a lot of good.
Well that would be a bummer, the 40gal is recently cycled so I cant take any media out of it

Oh well, if its not cycled in a week the TSS wil be here and I can use that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads