Upgrading brothers tank to 20g high

connorjs1004

So, for Christmas my brother asked me to redo his tank in his room. He currently has a 7.5 gallon cube with two honey gourami. He also had asked if I could put in a schooling fish, but there just isn't enough room in the current 7.5. So I believe I will be upgrading him to a 20 gallon high. I probably would have gone with a 20 long but because of space reasons, the 20 high is a better fit.

So would the 2 honey gourami, 12 or so tetras, and then 6 corys be ok for a 20 gallon high?

wateriswet

So, for Christmas my brother asked me to redo his tank in his room. He currently has a 7.5 gallon cube with two honey gourami. He also had asked if I could put in a schooling fish, but there just isn't enough room in the current 7.5. So I believe I will be upgrading him to a 20 gallon high. I probably would have gone with a 20 long but because of space reasons, the 20 high is a better fit.

So would the 2 honey gourami, 12 or so tetras, and then 6 corys be ok for a 20 gallon high?

That seems like a lot depending on what species of tetra and cories you get. Also, don't add them all at once because your beneficial bacteria won't be able to keep up. Try to reuse the old substrate on top of the new substance and use the old filter material to keep your cycle or click the blue text to learn about fishless cycle.

Ember tetras would be ok but I'd drop the number to 6-8 to start with and see how your water quality does between changes before adding more. Neon and cardinal tetras like more swimming space.

Pick one of the 3 species of pygmy cories or a dwarf species like pandas or jullis. Stay away from albinos, bronze, and emerald cories as they'll get too big. Stick to 6 of the same species. And keep asking questions :)

connorjs1004

That seems like a lot depending on what species of tetra and cories you get. Also, don't add them all at once because your beneficial bacteria won't be able to keep up. Try to reuse the old substrate on top of the new substance and use the old filter material to keep your cycle or click the blue text to learn about fishless cycle.
I was thinking probably something easy like black neons and pygmy corys. It would probably only be the two honeys first while the tank cycles because I don't want to crash the cycle.
My brothers tank doesn't really have traditional "filter pads", so I don't know if I can transfer them to a standard hob. His gravel is also a rather repulsing color so I will probably just add leftover pfs from another tank. Also, I can just stick in a cycled sponge filter from another tank to help cycle it
Ember tetras would be ok but I'd drop the number to 6-8 to start with and see how your water quality does between changes before adding more. Neon and cardinal tetras like more swimming space.
I like embers, but I think he wants something with more color contrast to the honeys orange, than a more darker orange that the embers have.
Pick one of the 3 species of pygmy cories or a dwarf species like pandas or jullis. Stay away from albinos, bronze, and emerald cories as they'll get too big. Stick to 6 of the same species. And keep asking questions :)
I was thinking getting the actual "pygmy" cory strain and just getting 6 since there isn't a ton of room on the bottom in a 20 h

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Fishtine
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hehehehaw