Upgrading Advice- 50 Gallon Cold Water Stocking

1. A

AmberMouse New Member Member

My first post on this site so I hope I'm doing everything okay!

I currently have a 34 litre (9 gallons) tank containing ten white cloud minnows, and a single mystery snail. It's been up and running with them for about nine months, no issues whatsoever, not a single death (despite cynically planning my stocking around losing a few).

Prior to that I did a fishless cycle, and then took in an already sick betta, which died soon after.

Currently all parameters are fine, I do weekly water changes (1/3-1/2 a tank), everyone is happy. But the minnows keep growing, and I realise that a 9 gallon is realistically too small for the next four or so years. So, as a birthday present to myself, I'm hoping to upgrade to a 200 litre tank (a bit over 50 gallons).

My question is, what should I house in this larger tank with the minnows? 50 gallons, cold enough for wc, at least 10 wc minnows and a snail.

I am considering just a giant school of minnows to be entirely honest, but I know my parents would enjoy some variety and a bit of a show piece. I'm just not sure what would suit given the colder temperatures, and the incompatibility with goldfish. Most of the fish I like are tropical.

Would the white clouds mind terribly if I had a heater to raise the temperature just enough for low range tropical fish?

Also no fish which would harm the snail either, as he must come over from the 9 gallon.
    If I can't find any cold water fish, I may have to just give them away and look for tropical fish.

A special note, if anyone knows of any Australian native fish which would suit, that would be brilliant.

Sorry for the long piece! Thank you.

2. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

Ok so it would require the addition of strong current (which the white clouds will love) but my top pick is hillstream loaches. Some look like mini-plecos/stingrays but not all. I only have one now but really want more. They come in a huge variety. The stone loach is probably the coldest and similar to my redfin. Here's a photo, he's on the right. The other is a northern purple spotted gudgeon and tho it's native to Australia it would eat all those white clouds a9b187bff885be77b97ba90a22a17f09.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    A

I really like the look of those loaches, I'll start looking in to them for sure, really cute little fish. Do they have much of a personality in your experience?
    Have looked at gudgeon before, but I'm quite attached to my white clouds now :)

4. C

I really built the tank for him and white clouds but then found out that white cloud mountain minnows are illegal in my home state of Massachusetts! I put the manifold in and everything so I'm committed to the current but I've started breeding kribs in there now so it might go in a more "lower congo" direction than "asian hillstream" . I was trying to find some gastromyzon also but I don't wanna ship them I'm not on great terms with the FedEx guy and wouldn't trust him with them.

5. OP
    OP
    A

That sucks! Surprisingly, despite most interesting fish, and animals in general, being banned in Australia, I was able to get a hold of my white clouds pretty easily. I wish you the best of luck with that mate, would love to see the tank when it's all finished up. (But really, when it is ever finished... :) )

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

You could add a school of gold or Odessa barbs, they are lots of fun and very pretty. Peppered cories would work on the bottom. Or if you keep the temp at around 73, there are tons of rainbowfish you could choose from--many of them Australian natives.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I like the look of the barbs, they're definitely a contender, and I've always enjoyed the face of a cory, but I think the rainbowfish may win me over. At least with natives I don't have to worry about temperature changes too much, and/or the threat of things being illegal. How big a school of cories do you think would suit, six or so?

8. C

At least. Ten is better

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

How warm is the tank?

You could do this
    10 WCMM
    15 Celestial pearl danios or 8-10 Rosy, gold or Odessa barbs
    2 Peacock gobies
    2-4 Honey gouramis
    15 Peppered cories
    1 rubberlip pleco
    Keep the temperature 70-72f

To give you some ideas here's what I have in my 240 litre tank
    8 WCMM
    8 Danios (4 zebras, 4 leopards)
    5 Platies
    1 Guppy
    2 Dojo loaches (I plan to get one more)
    1 BN pleco
    1 Bolvian ram
    3 Nerite snails
    The temperature varies from 68-74f through the year

10. vikingkirken

These are not all readily available in the aquarium trade, but to give you an idea of the diversity of rainbows, check out this site: Melanotaeniidae and Pseudomugilidae

Many rainbow keepers mix and match types, they will all shoal together. I'd aim for at least six total, though.

11. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

@AmberMouse, how about this? Since you are getting a 50 gallon, how about a Tiger Barb set up? You can have different Tigers in there. You can mix Green, Albino, and the regular Tigers together. All the same fish, with different colors, plus they will school together. Since you will have a pretty big school, the aggression won't be so bad, and then you can still have the Corys.

12. C

Why not get a 150 and put a datniodes in there?
    Why not buy a penthouse and just get a tiger like Mike Tyson?

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I used to keep Odessa Barbs, Boesmani Rainbows and Panda cories together in one tank. But since then I switched over to an entire Rainbow tank. If you look at my signature you'll see what I keep.

14. OP
    OP
    A

The temperature generally settles around 18-22C, though one hot day last summer took it up to 25, so without a cooler I'm probably going to be looking at fish which are a bit more lenient with temperature.
    I like the idea of the gouramis and danios, and if I can't find any rainbow fish I like, I'll probably go with a similar set up.

Sweet set up though, how do you go with the single guppy?

Some beautiful fish there, may go for the Murray river rainbow fish or another South Australian variety, it'd be nice to have some locals :p

My only fear with barbs would be my snail. He's my dad's favourite and I'd rather not risk him watching his little buddy get beaten up.

Quite the variety there, do they have much personality in your experience?

15. vikingkirken

I know you weren't asking me :D but rainbows have TONS of personality. They are not super-interactive with their owners (other than to beg for food, of course), but very much with each other. The males are constantly displaying to each other, chasing, showing off for the females... their colors change in an instant with their moods... they are not shy at all, either. Always active. They are amazing to watch!

16. OP
    OP
    A

@vikingkirken
    That's just what I'm after! There are quite a few varieties near by, so I think they'd be a good bet. I'm more concerned with personality than appearance, so that's awesome. They wouldn't bother any snails would they? Thank you so much! :D

17. vikingkirken

Mine have never bothered my nerite snails. They tend to feed from the top and middle of the aquarium for the most part (although they will swim all over with their mock-battles). They are primarily insectivores in the wild as far as I understand--and you will see evidence of that when you feed them and they attack the food at the top in a frenzy!

18. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I used to have 5 but they slowly died off and I didn't really want more. They aren't schooling fish so are fine alone and I haven't noticed any difference in the last guppy without friends.
    If it's just for a few weeks it's fine for the temperature to go up or down. It's a bit like the seasons in the wild. As long as they aren't kept permanently at 25c they should be fine.

19. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

@vikingkirken stole my thunder about Rainbow fish personality, so no need for me to repeat it.