Upgrading! 29 To 55

Rook

I'm finally upgrading from a 29 to a 55, and I'm stoked. So stoked. Can't wait!

I have the stand (it needs to be sanded and refinished but it was a great deal at $30!). I have heaters.

I've had an Aquaclear 50 filter on my cycled 29 pretty much since I set the tank up (the cheap kit filter it came with was terrible so I replaced it super fast). I added an internal filter (some weird corner thing with sponges and stone/ceramic filter media) a few months ago. I ordered an Aquaclear 70 filter last weekend and cannibalized the weird internal filter in order to put the media in the new Aquaclear to jumpstart it.

Question: About how long should I keep the new filter with it's established-filter media running on the cycled tank alongside the older filter before moving it to the new tank? I'd like to make the cycling process as quick as possible because I'm pretty overstocked and would love to get everyone into a bigger space as soon as possible (corys keep spawning and I keep missing eggs, then I can never seem to catch all the babies when I try! So many babies).

Also, stocking suggestions? Right now I have albino and aeneus cory cats (so many), a BN pleco, and WCMM. I know, they're not temp compatible, but I made the mistake of listening to the guy at Petco when I was new and I've been trying to make the best of it since. Right now everyone is doing well at their current temp (low end for corys, high end for minnows). They spawn frequently (minnows eat their eggs, corys don't). I've been toying with the idea of rehoming the minnows so I can get the temp higher for the tropical kids. I'm open to schools, pairs, or one centerpiece fish and a little school of something, as long as nobody hassles the corys!

MrBryan723

If possible just put the old filter on the new tank and you won't have to worry about cycling. Let it run for about a month then remove the old one or just keep it on there for extra filtration.

toeknee

Agreed with Bryan^ When I upgraded from my 20 gallon to a 55 I just put my old filter with cycled media onto the 55 while adding a new canister and media to the 55. It's nice having a backup filter always running just in case.

I've since gone a little filter crazy and now have 2 canister filters and my old H.O.B running. The peace of mind knowing filtration is as good as it can be is nice.

I personally would re-home the minnows which would open up more opportunities for your stocking. I currently stock a group of 7 Keyhole Cichlids, 2 Bolivian Rams, 12 Harlequin Rasboras, 12 Peppered Corys, a Rio-Negro Pleco, 10-15 Nerite Snails and a bunch of Ghost Shrimp. Everyone gets along swimmingly.

You could do something like the above, other options could be a pair of Apistogramma instead of Bolivian Rams along with instead of Keyholes you could do a Pearl Gourami, or a small group of 3-5 Honey Gouramis.

Ton's of options for schooling fish. Neon Tetras or Cardinals (I forget which one of those two are hardier and most recommended), Rummy nose Tetras, Rasboras.

A Bushy Nose Pleco or Clown Pleco could go in as well. You've got a lot of options.

Joyceheatherington

I have the stand (it needs to be sanded and refinished but it was a great deal at $30!). I have heaters.

I've had an Aquaclear 50 filter on my cycled 29 pretty much since I set the tank up (the cheap kit filter it came with was terrible so I replaced it super fast). I added an internal filter (some weird corner thing with sponges and stone/ceramic filter media) a few months ago. I ordered an Aquaclear 70 filter last weekend and cannibalized the weird internal filter in order to put the media in the new Aquaclear to jumpstart it.

Question: About how long should I keep the new filter with it's established-filter media running on the cycled tank alongside the older filter before moving it to the new tank? I'd like to make the cycling process as quick as possible because I'm pretty overstocked and would love to get everyone into a bigger space as soon as possible (corys keep spawning and I keep missing eggs, then I can never seem to catch all the babies when I try! So many babies).

Also, stocking suggestions? Right now I have albino and aeneus cory cats (so many), a BN pleco, and WCMM. I know, they're not temp compatible, but I made the mistake of listening to the guy at Petco when I was new and I've been trying to make the best of it since. Right now everyone is doing well at their current temp (low end for corys, high end for minnows). They spawn frequently (minnows eat their eggs, corys don't). I've been toying with the idea of rehoming the minnows so I can get the temp higher for the tropical kids. I'm open to schools, pairs, or one centerpiece fish and a little school of something, as long as nobody hassles the corys!

That's awesome! Have photos yet?

Rook

No photos yet, but I'll take some as I go along!

I'm definitely planning on running the Aquaclear 50 filter alongside the Aquaclear 70. That's good to know that I can let the 70 run for a bit on the 29, then get a 55 and switch everyone over!

I agree about rehoming the minnows. I love those little weirdos, but I don't like that I'm having to compromise on the temp of the other fish to keep them. I'll find someone to take them and then probably come back to ask about stocking again. I'm so excited for the many possibilities!

Fanatic

Congratulations, that's awesome, can't wait to see it!

Rook

Slow progress. Got the stand sanded today! Will get it finished hopefully this week, then wait for a good sale before buying the tank (because I can't find a 55 gallon used tank anywhere near me, for some reason).
MVIMG_20190514_152433.jpg
MVIMG_20190514_170609.jpg

koiboy

Maybe you wanna upgrade to something bigger than 55 already? Because in the future you might want to upgrade your 55 gallon to something larger. Depends on your space. Just my two cents

kallililly1973

That looks like a great wall and I think a 75 or a 100 is calling your name on that wall ... just sayin

Rook

Ha! Oh, believe me, I thought about going bigger! But the jump from 29 to 55 is plenty for me right now.

12Cin12

Since your Corys are doing so great, I wonder if they will spawn if you put them in a tank with higher temps? I keep mine at around 76/78 but they were inactive until I added a bubble curtain (presumably they have more oxygen).

I’m actually planning to go heaterless in my new 75Gal. I’ve heard Cory from
Aquarium co-op talk about how the equipment keeps it warm enough and he advises against using a heater. My FluvalSmart light certainly puts out a lot of heat. I do keep my house at an air conditioned/ heated 72-74 though, so that might affect things.

Rook

Since your Corys are doing so great, I wonder if they will spawn if you put them in a tank with higher temps? I keep mine at around 76/78 but they were inactive until I added a bubble curtain (presumably they have more oxygen).

I’m actually planning to go heaterless in my new 75Gal. I’ve heard Cory from
Aquarium co-op talk about how the equipment keeps it warm enough and he advises against using a heater. My FluvalSmart light certainly puts out a lot of heat. I do keep my house at an air conditioned/ heated 72-74 though, so that might affect things.
I don't actually want them to spawn - I used to enjoy raising the babies, but it's just more work than I want to put in right now. The main reason I decided to upgrade was so I could get a fish that might eat the eggs if they do spawn! I need a heater, unfortunately. The tank is going to be in my basement, and even though my basement is finished, it's always much cooler than the rest of my house.

Rook

Added finish today! It's light, but I like it (primarily because it was free - LOL). Next up, adding shelves to the stand! (I love shelves - I need to be able to organize!)
MVIMG_20190515_124841.jpg

kallililly1973

Looks great! I like the light wood! Keep going and keep updating!!

RSababady

If possible just put the old filter on the new tank and you won't have to worry about cycling. Let it run for about a month then remove the old one or just keep it on there for extra filtration.
I agree!!!
In addition, I would move the existing water across and top it up with dechlorinated water. This will ensure that there is continuity in your cycle.

You just need to be carefull when adding stock to avoid driving ammonia up too quick.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WinterSoldier.
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Ken Kanatsu

Did You Know...

Back to back posts (made by yourself) in the same thread within 4 hours get merged automatically.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom