Upgraded My Sump Lighting

1. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

So I was at Home Depot yesterday picking up some stuff and came across some L.E.D under the cabinet accent lights on sale for $9.99. They are 3 to a pack and 20 watts each. They also each have their own wall plug on them so you don't have to use all three. I liked the look and how small and bright the display ones were so I picked them up and really glad I did.

I decided to mount them under the stand of my 75g reef to use as the lights for the sump and I gotta say these things throw out some light and are hidden nicely and now I don't have to worry about moving a light fixture to mess with my sump/skimmer area.

Here's some pics of them installed and in action

IMG_20140725_181846.jpg

IMG_20140725_181854.jpg

IMG_20140725_181859.jpg

IMG_20140725_181829.jpg

IMG_20140725_181832.jpg

IMG_20140725_181917.jpg

IMG_20140725_174634.jpg

IMG_20140725_174631.jpg

These three little lights are throwing off more light than any of the light fixtures I have had on my sump area. I did make sure you can buy replacement bulbs and Home depot does sell them for anyone else who might be interested in trying this in their sump. Let me know what you guys & girls think about them.

Attached Files:

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The lights are great, and so is the sump setup. Very orderly and clean.

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Looks like an alter to the fish gods. Very cool!

4. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Thanks I try to keep it clean down there now if I can just clean up around that area and keep it clean LoL

5. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hey that looks great and will keep that in mind. I really like how straight forward every thing looks. I have one plug for my lighting underneath only 'cause I have soooo many plugs in my system but those give off a really nice look. That new skimmer looks like it's crankin' along too :).

6. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Thanks they are nice and actually came with a 3 way extention cord and a on/off switch you can splice/install inline someplace if wanted. i have them all ran to the included extention cord at the moment so its only one plug I have to pull if needed. I am thinking I might piggyback them into each other and then into one plug with the switch installed. It shows how to do it in the instructions that came with them so hey turns 3 wires into one with a switch which equals awesomness in my book. LoL I was just in a hurry once I got home and the light bulb went on above my head and I rushed to get them up to see how they looked. LoL Yeah this new skimmer is the Bee's Knees LoL compaired to the old one pulls out so much stuff. I have to empty/clean the cup at least every two-three days.

Can someone please delete the post above this I edited and it double posted for some reason thank you

7. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

krazyone2006 I looked into this lighting for my own new system and decided to get it when I get the chance. Thanks for the heads up.

8. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

N/P 1971roadrunner I hope you like them as much as I have the last couple days. It's pretty awesome not having to move a light or work around a light fixture hanging down when I have to mess around in the sump area. I think my cheato has actually grown a little since installing them too. LoL

9. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Next time your at Home Depot pick up just a simple aluminum clip on shop light and put a day light bulb in it for the chaeto. There are spiral 5000k 14watt bulbs that work. I used this when I first got started with chaeto and it worked well.

*this clip on would be placed on the sump with the light close/not too close to the chaeto to get it even better lighting and thus better growth.

10. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

I have a couple of those. Last time I had one on my sump area it cause one heck of a Cyano outbreak in my sump it was a nightmare to deal with. LoL I'll try it again when I upgrade the sump again LoL trying to decide between the 40g breeder or the 36g long I have sitting here leaning towards the 40g just haven't made up my mind yet. LoL

11. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Cyano in a refugium is a problem and I have to keep mine in check. I cant have high flow for my algae in there 'cause it would disrupt the POD's thriving. It's one of those things that can be kept in check with water parameters and careful flow direction etc.. but a headache to stay atop of but fine with me. My sump look like a muck pool which I 'kinda dig. I just keep the front glass clean and let the rest go for the most part.

12. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

Luckly I still have some pods with the way the temp fug is setup in the intake chamber in the pics. Skimmers only in the middle chamber cause it's the only chamber it will fit in. I was actually looking at the sump and DT with a red light the other night and seen quiet a few pods out jetting around the rocks. LoL Made me a little happy I didn't decimate them in the move around for the skimmer. LoL