Upgraded my filter

JoeCal52

I recently posted I was going to upgrade my aquatech 20 - 40 gallon filter to an aquatech 40 - 60 gallon filter. Well I did that on Friday and by Saturday my bacteria bloom was gone! My question is, even though filter cartridges are supposed to get changed monthly "according to instructions", my 2 cartridges are already semi clogged because I am seeing a lot water coming from the overflow areas on both sides of the the filter. Should I go ahead and change the cartridges out now, or is it ok to have some overflow. I feel the filter is not working to full capacity seeing that overflow. It's a 30 Gallon tank with a tiny Pleco, a scavenger cat and a blue gourami. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 20 nitrate and using seachem stability for the fifth day.
Thank you,
Joey

justonemorefish

I would not change the cartridges, just turn off the filter, take them out and swish them around in a bucket/bowl of tank water.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

What i did with both my aquatechs is get filtersponges and cut to fit pads for them so i run carbon free and they are easier to clean in my experience.

Upvote 0

JoeCal52

What i did with both my aquatechs is get filtersponges and cut to fit pads for them so i run carbon free and they are easier to clean in my experience.
I like that idea!......Thanks,
but for now should I put new cartridges in or do as "justonemorefish" says and rinse these in aquarium water? The cartridges that came with this filter are extremely thin, not like my replacements which are thick and can handle more of a load.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I like that idea!......Thanks,
but for now should I put new cartridges in or do as "justonemorefish" says and rinse these in aquarium water? The cartridges that came with this filter are extremely thin, not like my replacements which are thick and can handle more of a load.
I would just rinse them

Upvote 0

JoeCal52

Thank you stargirl, really great articles and something for me to keep in mind - Sounds like it really helps with tank maintenance....
I would not change the cartridges, just turn off the filter, take them out and swish them around in a bucket/bowl of tank water.
Well I rinsed out both cartridges in aquarium water and that aquarium water turned a deep deep green. I still have some backflow and not sure how long these cheap little cartridges are going to last me. Is it the seachem making the cartridges green like that? My water parameters are perfect I should have never bothered with the seachem.
Thanks for your response I really appreciate it

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
30 Gallon Tank Upgrading filter
Replies
Views
JoeCal52
  • Question
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup