Upgraded 20g Long

itsayes

Finally was able to upgrade my serpaes from a 10 gallon to a 20 long.

They were in 10 gallon because they couldn't behave in my community tank and had to be removed!

How do you like it?

Kenny777

JLeeM

Serpaes are beautiful. I'd love to have some, but keep hearing about that aggression.

Your tank is nice. What kind of plants are those?

itsayes

Kenny777 said:
Looks good how many serpae tetras you have in there?
Only 6. Not too comfortable putting anything else in with them after seeing them in community tank. Don't reallywant to up their school either as they're not my favorite at that moment. Any suggestions?

Kenny777

itsayes said:
Only 6. Not too comfortable putting anything else in with them after seeing them in community tank. Don't reallywant to up their school either as they're not my favorite at that moment. Any suggestions?
So are you planning to rehome the serpaes?

itsayes

JLeeM said:
Serpaes are beautiful. I'd love to have some, but keep hearing about that aggression.

Your tank is nice. What kind of plants are those?
Italian val, banana plant, moss balls, anubias and pearlweed (that's what it was labeled as, not sure if it's right tho)

Kenny777 said:
So are you planning to rehome the serpaes?
Undecided really...looking for some input. Realistically I'd probably add a couple more and keep it species only, or put something else in that could handle the aggression.

Kenny777

itsayes said:
Undecided really...looking for some input. Realistically I'd probably add a couple more and keep it species only, or put something else in that could handle the aggression.
Serpaes are known for aggression and fin nipping so anything with long delicate fins will be nipped. If you do rehome them you could make a great community tank.

JLeeM

What about some cherry barbs? They don't have long fins, and get decent size.

itsayes

JLeeM said:
What about some cherry barbs? They don't have long fins, and get decent size.
I do like cherry barbs. How many would you add? Just got some black ruby barbs in another tank and they're great.

Kenny777 said:
Serpaes are known for aggression and fin nipping so anything with long delicate fins will be nipped. If you do rehome them you could make a great community tank.
Need to start researching. Smallest community tank I've done is a 46 gallon. What would you suggest for a 20 g community?

Edit: I also have an empty 20 high that I'll need help stocking but I'll create another thread for that I guess

Sushi roll

It looks better then my 60 gal

Kenny777

Okay for you 20 long you could do
2 Peacock Gudgeons
8 Panda Corys
8 Cherry Barbs
10 Red Cherries Shrimp
2 Nerite Snails
I think that will work

itsayes

SushI roll said:
It looks better then my 60 gal
Haha thanks. I don't believe it!

JesseMoreira06

itsayes said:
Haha thanks. I don't believe it!
are you looking to stock the 20 gallon long with the serpeas or not including them?

itsayes

JesseMoreira06 said:
are you looking to stock the 20 gallon long with the serpeas or not including them?
Considering both options. I honestly think my girlfriend would be too upset to rehome them though. They were the first fish we got together.

JesseMoreira06

itsayes said:
Considering both options. I honestly think my girlfriend would be too upset to rehome them though. They were the first fish we got together.
Bring up the school of them to atleast 10 they'll be fine, they'll be to distracted by eachother and won't bother the others.

I would do

1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
12 Serpea Tetras
8 Panda Corys or Peperred corys

Kenny777

JesseMoreira06 said:
Bring up the school of them to atleast 10 they'll be fine, they'll be to distracted by eachother and won't bother the others.

I would do

1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
12-14 Serpea Tetras
I'm not sure about the GouramI because the serpaes will nip at the flowing antennas on the Gourami. IMO everything else looks good but the gourami.

JesseMoreira06

Kenny777 said:
I'm not sure about the GouramI because the serpaes will nip at the flowing antennas on the Gourami. IMO everything else looks good but the gourami.
Dwarf Gouramis can handle themself exceptionally well, if anything most of the time they are the problem in a small community tank, most fish like Serpea Tetras and tiger barbs ect... are only really aggressive in low numbers, get a nice sized group of atleast 10+ they shouldn't bother others , theyll be to distracted by eachother, they are a gregarious species that form loose hierarchies, with rival males continually battling with each other for female attention and positioning in the group.

Kenny777

JesseMoreira06 said:
Dwarf Gouramis can handle themself exceptionally well, if anything most of the time they are the problem in a small community tank, most fish like Serpea Tetras and tiger barbs ect... are only really aggressive in low numbers, get a nice sized group of atleast 10+ they shouldn't bother others , theyll be to distracted by eachother, they are a gregarious species forming loose hierarchies, with rival males continually battling with each other for female attention and positioning within the group.
Oh okay then

itsayes

JesseMoreira06 said:

I would do

1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
12 Serpea Tetras
I like the sounds of that. Don't think it's over stocking?

What would be the ideal temp?

JesseMoreira06

No not at all , I think it's perfect , would I add more no, but it's diffinetly not over stocking a 20 gallon long.

Ideal temp would be 73-74F, no higher then that because of the Bolivian ram and Panda corys.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom