Upgraded 20g Long

1. itsayes

itsayes Valued Member Member

Finally was able to upgrade my serpaes from a 10 gallon to a 20 long.

They were in 10 gallon because they couldn't behave in my community tank and had to be removed!

How do you like it?

3ad306c82123b2c6f23f6f99b17705c6.jpg

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Looks good how many serpae tetras you have in there?

3. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Serpaes are beautiful. I'd love to have some, but keep hearing about that aggression.

Your tank is nice. What kind of plants are those?

4. OP
    OP
    itsayes

Only 6. Not too comfortable putting anything else in with them after seeing them in community tank. Don't reallywant to up their school either as they're not my favorite at that moment. Any suggestions?

5. Kenny777

So are you planning to rehome the serpaes?

6. OP
    OP
    itsayes

Italian val, banana plant, moss balls, anubias and pearlweed (that's what it was labeled as, not sure if it's right tho)

Undecided really...looking for some input. Realistically I'd probably add a couple more and keep it species only, or put something else in that could handle the aggression.

7. Kenny777

Serpaes are known for aggression and fin nipping so anything with long delicate fins will be nipped. If you do rehome them you could make a great community tank.

8. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

What about some cherry barbs? They don't have long fins, and get decent size.

9. OP
    OP
    itsayes

I do like cherry barbs. How many would you add? Just got some black ruby barbs in another tank and they're great.

Need to start researching. Smallest community tank I've done is a 46 gallon. What would you suggest for a 20 g community?

Edit: I also have an empty 20 high that I'll need help stocking but I'll create another thread for that I guess

10. Sushi roll

Sushi roll New Member Member

It looks better then my 60 gal :D

11. Kenny777

Okay for you 20 long you could do
    2 Peacock Gudgeons
    8 Panda Corys
    8 Cherry Barbs
    10 Red Cherries Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    I think that will work

12. OP
    OP
    itsayes

Haha thanks. I don't believe it!

13. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

are you looking to stock the 20g long with the serpeas or not including them?

14. OP
    OP
    itsayes

Considering both options. I honestly think my girlfriend would be too upset to rehome them though. They were the first fish we got together.

15. JesseMoreira06

Bring up the school of them to atleast 10 they'll be fine, they'll be to distracted by eachother and won't bother the others.

I would do

1 Dwarf Gourami
    2 Bolivian Rams
    12 Serpea Tetras
    8 Panda Corys or Peperred corys

16. Kenny777

I'm not sure about the Gourami because the serpaes will nip at the flowing antennas on the Gourami. IMO everything else looks good but the gourami.

17. JesseMoreira06

Dwarf Gouramis can handle themself exceptionally well, if anything most of the time they are the problem in a small community tank, most fish like Serpea Tetras and tiger barbs ect... are only really aggressive in low numbers, get a nice sized group of atleast 10+ they shouldn't bother others , theyll be to distracted by eachother, they are a gregarious species that form loose hierarchies, with rival males continually battling with each other for female attention and positioning in the group.

18. Kenny777

Oh okay then

19. OP
    OP
    itsayes

I like the sounds of that. Don't think it's over stocking?

What would be the ideal temp?

20. JesseMoreira06

No not at all , I think it's perfect , would I add more no, but it's diffinetly not over stocking a 20g long.

Ideal temp would be 73-74F, no higher then that because of the Bolivian ram and Panda corys.