Upgrade!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Christmas came early this year! Well, not really "Christmas," since I paid for everything. ;D

We've been wanting to upgrade the filter on our 10 gallon for awhile. It's the HOB that came with the Top Fin kit and it's surely highly overrated in terms of GPH. There's always crud floating around the tank, and since it will soon be a show tank and not just a quarantine tank, we figured an upgrade was in order. Yesterday when we were looking at filters at the store, my boyfriend said something to the effect of "If we're going to get a larger filter, maybe we should just get a larger tank too." !!! Holy cow!! I was afraid that he was becoming less interested in the hobby, so I was very happy to hear the suggestion.

Anyway, here is a picture of the tank and stand. What perfect timing that Pectco was having their $1/gallon sale. The stand was $85 but actually appears pretty well-made. It's actually quite pretty up close, and it's predominantly real wood, not particle board (though the surfaces are particle board). My cat enjoyed the box, as cats are wont to do.

The stocking plan is as such:

2 apistogramma trifasciatas (one male, one female)
8-10 male blackbar endlers (courtesy of Cichlidnut)
8-10 neon tetras
4-6 green cories
yellow shrimp

Not sure on the number of tetras yet. I'm not really good at stocking 20 gallon tanks, as I don't have a lot of experience with them. Any advice would be welcome! We're not sure about how many cories either. We'll have eight in the 55 gallon, so I'm definitely not short on cories, but I don't want the school to be too small either. Six is always the recommended minimum, but I'm wondering if four would work.

We'll be using Tahitian moon sand substrate. We already have Malaysian driftwood, a few rocks, and a few plants in the 10 gallon that will move over (anubias nana, java fern, banana plant) though I'll definitely be needing more plants. I'm thinking a few dwarf sags because I have a zillion in my shrimp tank. I put two in the betta tank and already have five or six. I could put some wisteria maybe, since I already have a bunch and i could just move a stem over.

Lastly, I still haven't decided on a filter. If anyone has a 20 gallon HOB filter that they love, please let me know!

Attachments

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol, after you let the cat out of the bag it went straight in the box Lame joke, I would say I'm sorry but I'm not

Nice stand I'm a huge fan of aquatops, mine can handle four goldfish in the same size tank.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am very pleased with my Aquatop canister...I don't think I've seen Aquatop HOBs at the store though, and I'll be receiving fish soon, so I'd like to have the filter by next weekend.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking tank! I would have gone with the 29g as it is taller but the same length lol.

You want 2-4 female apistos. They are harem breeders and they do best in groups.
I am very pleased with my Aquatop canister...I don't think I've seen Aquatop HOBs at the store though, and I'll be receiving fish soon, so I'd like to have the filter by next weekend.
Here's a cheap canister that will work well

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you! We seriously considered it (as it's only $9 more, plus a bit extra for a larger filter) but it would be too tall for its permanent location (which is not where it is in the picture, we'll be putting it where the 10 gallon is currently.

Maybe Ernesto won't have a lady friend then. I don't think 3-5 apistos, 8-10 endlers, 10 neons, 6 cories and yellow shrimp would fit in a 20 long.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think 4 apistos would be fine as long as you only have one male. Your yellow shrimp would be in danger either way. You should have a separate tank for them to breed in.

Donnerjay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice stand. That looks like the Tao stand, which seemed pretty sturdy to me while I was scoping it out. And it's on sale right now too for $15 off.

Did you find it difficult to assemble? Is it easy to level?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rogue: Darn, I was hoping the yellow shrimp would be okay. Well, since I have cories on the bottom anyway, maybe I'll just pass on the shrimps. Also, I'm surprised four apistos would fit, with all the endlers and neons! Maybe Ernesto will get some friends.

Donnerjay: It is! We were going to get the metal, wrought-iron style one for $50 but I hated that it had no storage whatsoever. Also it wasn't in the store, and it said it took 1-3 weeks just to be shipped, plus however long it took to get here, and I didn't want to wait. Plus, everything in my apartment is tan and green and nature-y and the black metal wouldn't match. I like this one a lot better. We're going to drill a hole in the back of the storage cubby thing to hide the electrical cords and such, since it's really too small to hold anything.

I put up a picture of where it will permanently live. The higher tape on the wall is where a 29 would go, and it would block those little window things (though with a hood, the 20 will block them a little bit too). Also you can see the cubby storage thing.

Edit: I forgot about your questions, Donnerjay! It was very easy to assemble, took maybe 15 minutes. If you get it, when you go to attach the top, don't tighten the screws all the way down initially, otherwise it's offset and you can't get the succeeding screws in. If I figured this out from the beginning, it wouldn't have taken so long haha. It's easy to level because there are adjustable feeties on the bottom. I can take a picture tomorrow if you would like.

Attachments

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
get the 29g....the little window would give your plants some natural light.

I got your pm, but haven't replied back. Just got back from dinner. Will reply tomorrow.

Did you figure out if GBRs can fit in this new setup?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha the window just goes to the bedroom; it's an interior window so no light coming in there. Don't worry about the PM, I didn't know I'd have to worry as much about the shrimps being eaten so I don't think I'll be getting any after all. Also, we decided we'd rather have this tank be full of lots of little fish, since we'll have big fish in the 55 gallon.

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, I'd still get the 29g or both. Get one of those double decker stand

will you be dirting this tank?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm I don't think so, but I hadn't really thought about it. I do still have organic Miracle Gro from doing the shrimp tank. I definitely wouldn't be mineralizing the soil, since I don't have anywhere to lay it out and let it dry. Definitely something to think about in the next week

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom