upgrade to low or medium light?

Nick Della Rocca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I just picked up a solarmaxh.o double t5 system. Dual 24 watt. Going on a 20 high. So I went to 60 watts. Is this good to put me in the low to medium?

Castiel*

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as your putting out the right spectrum of color (5000k-7500k), your low to medium light plants should have no problem growing under that light.

I do see you said you got a dual 24w t5ho system.. the combination of the two bulbs only totals out to 48w output, not 60w. But on that note, wattage really means nothing in the term of lighting. Your PAR and Lumens output are really what matters when growing plants.

OP
Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK so Itook the bulbs out. 1 bulb is a 24w actinic o3 bulb. And the other is a24w dayliIht 10kk. By deep blue profession.

Edit; just looked into it. It seems the actinic o3 bulb is for saltwater it seems. But I can use it with out that bulb. So that puts me at 1 t5 bulb that's putting out 10kk lumens I. Assume is that to much? Its only 24watts

Kindafishy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
10,000 Kelvins is on the high end of color for aquarium plants. 5-10K is where they do fine, but most will go with a 6,500 Kelvin bulb.

If you are wanting to stay with low-medium light plants, I would recommend getting another 24 watt bulb at the 5k or 6,500 Kelvin rating to go with the 10k bulb. This will broaden your spectrum of light and the output to the plants.

Castiel*

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Having a actinic bulb in a freshwater aquarium won't do much, as they emit a deep "blue" light that is actually higher then the 22k range if I'm not mistaken. Kelvins have to do with the color spectrum the bulb emits. Not with watts, PAR, or Lumens.

I'd do as @ posted above, keep the 10k bulb in there and replace the Actinic bulb with a 6500k bulb. But as far as the actinic bulb growing freshwater plants your pretty much out of luck!

Really you'll have to research each individual plants need for light and if it requires any additions such as Co2 injection or chemicals and fertilizers. Plants are live, just as fish are and have specific requirements, just because their classified as low to medium light plants doesn't mean that all low to medium light plants are the same in care.

OP
Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, I understand that about the plants, as when I first got into the easy plants I was told I shouod be able to grow all died off. So now I'm trying to get my light fixed so I can grow some more plants using the ferts I do have. I do not want to be adding co2. Just my liquid ferts and ill get some root tabs when it comes to it also. I understand the actanic bulb is no good. I will replace this. I am just looking to see what bulb I should replace it with, witch I see is the 24w 6.5kk bulb. So I will go and see if that have it. If not, Can I get another 10kk bulb? Will this be to much or will it make me have to add co2. I don't understand c02 in the system besides the plants that "eat" it. Does lighting play a factor with having to add in into the system as well? or only if I have plants that require it as supplementation?

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nick Della Rocca said:
OK so Itook the bulbs out. 1 bulb is a 24w actinic o3 bulb. And the other is a24w dayliIht 10kk. By deep blue profession.

Edit; just looked into it. It seems the actinic o3 bulb is for saltwater it seems. But I can use it with out that bulb. So that puts me at 1 t5 bulb that's putting out 10kk lumens I. Assume is that to much? Its only 24watts
Just wanted to clarify a few things here...

When referring to the "K" or Kelvin rating, that is used to describe the color temperature of the bulb, not how bright the bulb. A 10,000k bulb is more in the cool, blue color range. A bulb in the 3,000k range would be more warm in the red color range.

Lumens is a measure of how bright the light is. Lumens is affected by a few things in fluorescent tube lights including length of bulb, wattage, normal output vs high output, and reflectors of the fixture.

Nick Della Rocca - as we discussed in the PM's I think you will be fine with one bulb being the current 10,000k bulb you have and replacing the other bulb with 6500k range bulb. The combo will work well, and many planted aquarist purposefully use this combo to get a good balance of color and good growth. You don't need the fancy aquarium bulbs, a bulb is just a bulb assuming it has the same length, wattage, and color temp. Home Depot, Lowes, or even a lighting store that sells light fixtures will all have a decent selection and be able to help you. If you know what you want/need then bulbs.com or 1000bulbs.com are 2 good online vendors that have a really large selection of any bulb you could ever want.

OP
Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ty. As I msged you I got 2 6700k ho t5 bulbs from home depot. I'll put those 2 in and see how it goes.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nick Della Rocca said:
Ty. As I msged you I got 2 6700k ho t5 bulbs from home depot. I'll put those 2 in and see how it goes.
I'm not sure if the HO bulbs will work unless you have a HO fixture with HO ballast. I thought the High Output stuff had to do with the ballast but not sure. I prefer the LED lighting, no more replacing bulbs and they save on energy costs in the long run.

OP
Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a solarmax ho fixture. Just checking the k rating. I got 2 6700k ho. Replace the 10k with the 1 6.7 and put the other bulb in that other slot. So running 2 6700k lights now

New Threads