Upgrade To Bio Cube 32

fishboy367

I am planning to upgrade my 10 gallon to a biocube 32 and I was wondering how to stock it I have 2 occelaris clown fish that are the only inhabitants and I was wondering about how many I could keep and what here are some fishes I like

royal gramma
Fire fish goby
Cora beauty angelfish
Yellow watchman goby or Yasha
BangaiI Cardinal

(Plus the two clown fish)

Also any other suggestions would be helpful, and what stocking should I have with theses fish

varmint

For the new members I think you specify that this is a salt water tank. Just a thought.

stella1979

No problems about specifying saltwater tanks, we're in the saltwater forum.

I am unsure about the Coral Beauty. While some sources will say that a 30 is ok for them, I believe it's more about swim space. A cube doesn't offer much side to side room for swimming, and dwarf angels are said to be quite active fish.

The other fish listed would be perfect for the new tank. Do you have corals? I'm wondering because corals would determine if you want a low nitrate environment. If so, I would only do four total fish in the tank though.

I'm wondering if you'll be able to leave the 10 gallon running while you introduce new fish to the 32g? If at all possible, allow any non aggressive fish like the goby or firefish to get acclimated and comfortable in the new environment before adding the clowns. Clowns will quickly establish territory and may not get along well with new and more timid inhabitants. I know this may be impossible, but in a perfect world you would stock the goby, then the firefish, then the cardinal, and the clowns last... with a couple of weeks between additions for new fish to get comfortable.

Jesterrace

The only angel I would even attempt in a tank that small would be a cherubfish (aka pygmy angel). They max out at around 3 inches, but be aware they can be aggressive towards tank mates (then again so can all dwarf angels). If you have ever watched a pygmy/dwarf angel in a tank and can see how active they are you would understand it's less about size and more about activity. They are very active fish and graze on algae in your tank all day. The coral beauty just gets too big for a tank like that in the long run and would be more likely to be cramped and aggressive. I would also hold off adding a cherubfish until it is the last fish going in your tank and only after the tank has been running for several months to build up a mature algae population. The more food they have at their disposal, the less likely they are to be aggressive. Also I would boot the firefish from your list. Their bright colors, cowardly nature and small size make them the number 1 target for bullying in a saltwater tank and a pygmy or dwarf angel will bully them to death (if the clownfish, royal gramma and cardinalfish don't beat him to it). The other fish on your list aren't overly aggressive but they generally aren't afraid to defend themselves and that is what you are going to want with a pygmy angel. This is what the cherubfish looks like:

The good news is that they are also one of the least likely dwarf/pygmy angels to nip at corals. I would avoid all other pygmy varieties entirely (ie Flameback Angel) as there are far more complaints about them with aggression issues.

fishboy367

Thanks for the input for angelfish I like the cherub angelfish it’s a really nice fish so would my stocking be

2 clowns
1 watchman goby
1 royal gramma
1 bangaiI Cardinal
1 Cherub angel

I’m also looking to do coral too and also what inverts could I put in the tank (clean up crew and ornamental)

Jesterrace

Thanks for the input for angelfish I like the cherub angelfish it’s a really nice fish so would my stocking be

2 clowns
1 watchman goby
1 royal gramma
1 bangaiI Cardinal
1 Cherub angel

I’m also looking to do coral too and also what inverts could I put in the tank (clean up crew and ornamental)

I would go with relatively simple corals (ie leather mushrooms) and go slow. Corals add up your cost very quickly. My Frogspawn Frag and Hammer Frag combined were about $70 and that is just for two coral frags. Also you might not want to go too crazy on the corals just in case your cherub gets nippy. The other fish won't bother them and all of those fish should be safe with inverts. Personally I like Trochus Snails as they are effective algae removal and are one of the few snails in the trade that can flip themselves over (while others will just suffocate and die). Small Red Legged hermit crabs are also useful. As for shrimp? It is really hard to beat the color, function and activity of a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. They set up cleaning stations to clean your fish and will also help clean up the tank by eating left over food bits. They are brightly colored and highly visible and will provide you plenty of entertainment. IMHO no other shrimp delivers the kind of bang for buck that they do. They are also one of the most durable of the shrimp. Mine has survived some things that I didn't think it would survive. FYI they do molt on a relatively regular basis, so don't freak out if you come out one morning and you see a faded shrimp lying on it's side looking dead.

fishboy367

Thanks for the info

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
tanki60o