10 Gallon Tank Upgrade Time...need Some Stocking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otag

Reaction score
So i'm swapping out my 5 gallon to a 10 gallon set up this weekend.

Right now I have a betta and 4 neon tetras. I am going to add about 8 or so Chili rasboras in a week or 2 after the new tank is running.

I am looking to add a couple Corys to the mix for the bottom. I originally was thinking the panda corys, but my water is too warm for them. I typically try to keep the water around 78 give or take a degree. What kind of cory's do best in that temp range...also looking for some on the smaller side.

Forgot to add....this is also a decently planted tank.

SomeoneFISHy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Except the Betta, all the fish you listed need schools. The 'magic' number, is 6. The minimum in a school. It is better, especially for smaller tanks, to have 1 bigger school. Cories need at least 6 in a school. You should add in at least 2 more neons (probably 4 more, to be safe.)

You could add a bristlenose pleco, those are on the smaller side of them.

To others, I am not an expert, and please correct me if I am wrong.

nedpatrick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So i'm swapping out my 5 gallon to a 10 gallon set up this weekend.

Right now I have a betta and 4 neon tetras. I am going to add about 8 or so Chili rasboras in a week or 2 after the new tank is running.

I am looking to add a couple Corys to the mix for the bottom. I originally was thinking the panda corys, but my water is too warm for them. I typically try to keep the water around 78 give or take a degree. What kind of cory's do best in that temp range...also looking for some on the smaller side.

Forgot to add....this is also a decently planted tank.
Bettas should not be kept in community tanks that are 10 gallons. Neon tetras also require temperatures much lower than the betta will. While chili rasboras can be kept in a 10 gallon I would not keep them with a Betta. There are no Cory’s that are suitable for a 10 gallon most have a 20 gallon minimum. In my opinion it would be best if you rehires the neon tetras and kept only the betta in the tank.

Except the Betta, all the fish you listed need schools. The 'magic' number, is 6. The minimum in a school. It is better, especially for smaller tanks, to have 1 bigger school. Cories need at least 6 in a school. You should add in at least 2 more neons (probably 4 more, to be safe.)

Bristlenose plecos should never be kept in a 10 gallon. They produce way too much waste and the bioload will cause the tank to crash. 29 gallons is the smallest that I’d keep one in.

spicegirls5ever

Valued Member
Reaction score
Regardless of size limitations, the concerns about temperature are pretty on point. It's always possible to keep fish at higher temps but it does shorten their lifespan by raising their metabolism.

And many corys do get pretty sizable. I have three peppered Corys and a betta in a ten gallon but the corys are being moved into a 20 long where they will be much happier and healthier in the long term, even though they are perfectly healthy up to this point. My corys are nearing their maximum size of 2.5-3 inches and if I want a proper school they cant possibly all live in the small footprint of a 10 gallon

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Agreed!
If you are open to rehome the neons that would be best. For 10 gallon, go with snails or shrimps for a betta tankmates

Samanthaljay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
did you already buy the 10 gal? are you able to go a little bigger, even to 20? you could do pygmy corys in a 20 I believe. I have a 10 gal and a 29 gal and there is a BN pleco in the 29. I couldn't imagine having him/her in the 10.. the bioload on that fish alone would be too much and I am over filtered as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom