Upgrade tank help?

1. chloep123 Member Member

Hiya!

So I have just been offered a 13 gallon (ish-it's a 50 litre) and my plan is to use it for my betta, Sus. I would like to think he could have some fishy companions now, maybe neons? Any stocking ideas other than them though? It would be nice to have some ghost shrimp or a mystery snail (or both!) however, I have no knowledge of either or their requirements, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Chloe

2. PythonTheBetta Member Member

neons aren't temp compatible with bettas. Some say that they can both be kept at about 78F but that's a personal decision. Also, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe neons require a larger tank, especially if they are being put in with a betta. Some bettas will eat ghost shrimp but some really don't bother them. You should be okay putting a snail in with it. But either way, float the cup with the snail/shrimp in the tank before releasing it into the tank to see how the Betta will react. Hope this helps! (and if any of this information was incorrect I encourage someone to correct me)

3. chloep123 Member Member

PythonTheBetta thank you! I don't have a clue on what size anything needs but I was told 6 neons would be fine... Ahh well. Sus is very friendly towards snails so I would hope he is the same with shrimp, is there no other fish that would work?

4. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Usually bettas tend to be solitary creatures, so I'm not sure what other fish could be compatible. Hopefully someone with a community tank will find this thread and help you out

5. chloep123 Member Member

Thank you for your help, hopefully someone else can advise soon!

6. chloep123 Member Member

Just to update anyone who is following, I'm getting the tank Monday and Sus will move in immediately

7. Daniel W Member Member

Really, the only fish that are compatible with bettas are shrimp and snails, and even then it depends on the betta's personality. Bottom fish might work if your tank is fairly tall and your betta isn't aggressive.

8. chloep123 Member Member

I was wondering about this... Space wise, would any cory cats work? I did a bit of research but I'm getting mixed results. How much space do they need?

9. Daniel W Member Member

If you have a 13 gallon, pygmy cories might work. But they won't thrive as well if they were placed in a 20 gallon.

10. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not do any kind of cory cat in anything less then a twenty gallon, actually same goes for a betta community. You could do bigger shrimp like ghost or amano with betta as well as nerite snails in your current tank size.

11. chloep123 Member Member

Just to update: Sus is moved in, i'm thinking 6 neons?

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't recommend neons. As stated before, 78 is the top of a neon's range. So imagine living in the heat of summertime for your whole life. It stresses and shortens their lifespan.

If you really want some fish, I've heard ember tetra are a better option temp-wise. But be sure to watch them and make sure there's no aggression from the Betta or nipping from tetra.

Shrimp are a great option and can be fed using zucchini slices and shrimp food. They can also feed off of any biofilm on your live plants (which are great for shrimp and fish alike!)

13. chloep123 Member Member

Okay, as getting new fish today, I'm now thinking Ember Tetra... Thank you and I'll keep you updated :)

14. Aster Well Known Member Member

Make sure you get at least 6, they're schooling fish :)

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I would say to get 3 at a time so you don't overload your tank's cycling process. Get 3, wait a week, get the other 3, then you're set.

16. chloep123 Member Member

I'm sorry to say I didn't see this before I bought them and I got all 6 at once.

They seem to be settling in well, Sus tried to chase them for a little while but they seem fine now. I also bought loads of plants (I couldnt help myself, I have wanted live plants for so long :) ) and some live food too!

17. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Just keep on eye on the water parameters throughout the week. Nothing wrong with plants, the plants help soak up nitrates. Most live plants can do nothing but benefit your tank! I loooove plants.

18. chloep123 Member Member

Right, my mum looked at my tank today and said 'couldnt you have another small shoal?' Correct me if I'm wrong, but another 6 of tetra or similar is way to much right?

19. Bigzsbettas Initiate Member

Yes another 6 is way to much for a 13 gallon. And the tank isn't fully cycled but it doesn't matter because another fish would of overload the bioload.

20. Aster Well Known Member Member

Yes, don't add another school. I think you're stocked pretty nicely as it is right now :)