'Upgrade' skimmer for Fluval Sea Evo

LouPey

I am looking at getting the Fluval Sea Evo tank and have read in several places that people usually upgrade the skimmer kit that it usually comes with.

So my question is, what could it be upgraded to?

I would want it to fit in the same compartment (most important! As I want it as a little setup for my bedside table and I want it to look neat).

If the skimmer comes separate then it makes sense for me to buy it right first time if I am planning ahead!
Thanks

Dechi

I just bought my Evo 13.5g and haven’t set it up yet. I’ve decided not to get a skimmer until I have a need for it.

My research has shown that a skimmer is not a must in a small set-up with mostly corals, 1-2 fish and a few inverts, like I want.

I would rather spend money on corals and probably upgrading the light to suit them. A good light is 300$-400$ so it’s expensive.

HarrisonAquatics

I'm not sure of any upgrades that'd fit in that back compartment, but I'd just go skimmer-less. It's a small tank, so it's easy enough to do water changes to take care of excess nutrients.

Plus, speaking from experience, a LOT of skimmers tend to be rather loud. I wouldn't want one next to my bed at night!

LouPey

Dechi said:
I just bought my Evo 13.5g and haven’t set it up yet. I’ve decided not to get a skimmer until I have a need for it.

My research has shown that a skimmer is not a must in a small set-up with mostly corals, 1-2 fish and a few inverts, like I want.

I would rather spend money on corals and probably upgrading the light to suit them. A good light is 300$-400$ so it’s expensive.
Thank you, I'll probably have the same combination as you- 2 or 3 fish, inverts, coral and rock.
I didn't think I'd have to replace the light. I really hope not as I just wanted it to be my side tank and not be where all my money goes!

HarrisonAquatics said:
I'm not sure of any upgrades that'd fit in that back compartment, but I'd just go skimmer-less. It's a small tank, so it's easy enough to do water changes to take care of excess nutrients.

Plus, speaking from experience, a LOT of skimmers tend to be rather loud. I wouldn't want one next to my bed at night!
Noise never bothers me. I happily sleep through thunder and all sorts but it is a good thing to consider for sure thank you!

Sounds like the way forward is to just skip the skimmer. I think it was only an extra £40 if bought with the tank. I just figured I didn't want to buy that then buy a new one a couple of months later and end up with a working skimmer that I don't use.
I really hate wasting resources and replacing things that still work!

Thanks both for your insight!

Jesterrace

I agree that there really isn't much point to a skimmer on a small tank with a light bioload. Often just ends up being money wasted. You would get more out of a light or return pump upgrade.

Tallen78

LouPey said:
I am looking at getting the Fluval Sea Evo tank and have read in several places that people usually upgrade the skimmer kit that it usually comes with.

So my question is, what could it be upgraded to?

I would want it to fit in the same compartment (most important! As I want it as a little setup for my bedside table and I want it to look neat).

If the skimmer comes separate then it makes sense for me to buy it right first time if I am planning ahead!
Thanks
I have an evo 13.5 up and running a few months now I did purchase the skimmer which I don’t use because I also purchased the in tank media baskets great upgrade by the way my tank is mostly corals a few invertebrates and 2 clown fish so no need for the skimmer as of now but what is important is and ato and the return pump I grabbed the ehiem 1000 it’s a perfect replacement which doubles the flow and the light of course I went with the prime 16hd with this u can grow pretty much any coral with the right placement

Jesterrace

Tallen78 said:
I have an evo 13.5 up and running a few months now I did purchase the skimmer which I don’t use because I also purchased the in tank media baskets great upgrade by the way my tank is mostly corals a few invertebrates and 2 clown fish so no need for the skimmer as of now but what is important is and ato and the return pump I grabbed the ehiem 1000 it’s a perfect replacement which doubles the flow and the light of course I went with the prime 16hd with this u can grow pretty much any coral with the right placement
Very nice choices there. That light will definitely grow anything in a tank of that size.

Latest threads

Top Bottom