Upgrade plan

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey everyone so my new tank is coming tomorrow yay! Ive upgraded twice before and done this exact process but i always worry something will go wrong this will be a long.paragraph sorry haha. So the tank will be going in the same spot as my current one, all tanks have been there. So i plan on emptying half the water into buckets which i will be using in the new tank. Due to high 40+ nitrates in my tap water i switched to bottled ages ago. So 180 litres would be too much haha. Then i was gonna move the tank out of the way to get the new one in place, then set it up. Going to leave the old filters going in the old tank while i set the new one up. I currently have three internal filters and im switching to an external, so once thats set up i plan on removing.two old.filters but putting all the filter media in the new external, and leaving one old one that will.go in the new tank too? The gravel and most ornaments are going to be new so im a bit worried about my cycle! Obviously the old.media is.going in the new filter aswell as keeping one going with the the new one. Once its set up, then i plan on netting the fish and putting them.straight in the new tank? I did this both times before and had no issues, but i do have bags if its better to float them?. But because half the tank will be old water wouldn't they be fine going straight in because really its just like doing a big water change? I will use.some stress coat too just to be on the safe side! As i say this is the exact process i did the last two times and had no.issues all fish settled quickly but i worry alot haha!

Best Answer - View JettsPapa's answer

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just to clarify, you plan to:
  1. Remove some of the water from the existing tank.
  2. Move the tank with the fish in it out of the way to set up the new tank in the same spot.
  3. Set up the new tank, with the media from the old tank.
  4. Add the water you removed from the old tank to the new one.
If yes, I don't see any issue with netting the fish and moving them straight across to the old tank, assuming the water temperatures haven't become wildly different, and they shouldn't.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
Just to clarify, you plan to:
  1. Remove some of the water from the existing tank.
  2. Move the tank with the fish in it out of the way to set up the new tank in the same spot.
  3. Set up the new tank, with the media from the old tank.
  4. Add the water you removed from the old tank to the new one.
If yes, I don't see any issue with netting the fish and moving them straight across to the old tank, assuming the water temperatures haven't become wildly different, and they shouldn't.
Yes that's my plan! With the media being moved to a.different filter will any bacteria die?! Also ive seen mixed messages regarding the bacteria in gravel and on ornaments. Everything will be new especially the gravel as my goldfish keep getting my current gravel stuck in their mouth!!

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah1230ox said:
Yes that's my plan! With the media being moved to a.different filter will any bacteria die?! Also ive seen mixed messages regarding the bacteria in gravel and on ornaments. Everything will be new especially the gravel as my goldfish keep getting my current gravel stuck in their mouth!!
As long as the filter media stays wet the bacteria should be fine. According to what I've read there is some bacteria on the substrate, glass, etc (which makes sense), but you should be okay with just moving the media over. Just to be on the safe side I'd recommend checking the ammonia levels for the first few days and be prepared to do water changes if you see them start to go up.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
As long as the filter media stays wet the bacteria should be fine. According to what I've read there is some bacteria on the substrate, glass, etc (which makes sense), but you should be okay with just moving the media over. Just to be on the safe side I'd recommend checking the ammonia levels for the first few days and be prepared to do water changes if you see them start to go up.
Great. Thank you

ghostdawg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I switched from a 10g to 20g long, I used new gravel. I used the filter from the 10 into 20 & moved all decor (fake plants & hiding ornaments) into the 20 also. I added water from the 10g and topped off with tap water. All the while had the fish in a 5g bucket until I was ready to add them. It took me about 4 hrs or so from start to finish.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ghostdawg said:
When I switched from a 10g to 20g long, I used new gravel. I used the filter from the 10 into 20 & moved all decor (fake plants & hiding ornaments) into the 20 also. I added water from the 10g and topped off with tap water. All the while had the fish in a 5g bucket until I was ready to add them. It took me about 4 hrs or so from start to finish.
And all went well? Iv have done this two times before i just panic! Haha. Gonna take me probably the whole day :(

ghostdawg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah1230ox said:
And all went well? Iv have done this two times before i just panic! Haha. Gonna take me probably the whole day :(
I was nervous because this was my first time doing it. I'm new to the fish world, but it went great for me. I had to move the old tank and put new tank in it's place. The old 10g is still broke down. I haven't set it up yet! :)

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ghostdawg said:
I was nervous because this was my first time doing it. I'm new to the fish world, but it went great for me. I had to move the old tank and put new tank in it's place. The old 10g is still broke down. I haven't set it up yet! :)
Bless ya! It is scary. We want the best for our fish! Glad it went well :)

New Threads