Upgrade Filter(s)?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Anna94, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Anna94

Anna94 Valued Member Member

I currently have 13 fish in a 20 gallon long:
    5 cardinal tetras
    2 celebes rainbows
    1 horseface loach
    1 kribensis
    3 lemon tetras
    1 oto

However, I plan on adding one more cardinal tetra, one more Celebes rainbow, two more lemon tetras, and possibly three more otos, and maybe three nerite snails or amano shrimp.

For filtration I have a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons and an AquaClear 50 with the sponge and Matrix in it. I do weekly 40-50% water changes and I gravel vac every time. My nitrates stay consistent between 10 and 20.

Should I upgrade my AquaClear and/or sponge filter and go one size up or will my filtration will be sufficient enough for all my inhabitants?

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Edit: That filtration is good for your tank.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Your filtration seems fine to me for this tank size.

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

agree with @el337 aquaclear 50's have 200 gph which is 10x filtration for a 20 long. Should be sufficient.

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Oops I read this wrong, I had in my head that it was a 50 gallon pfft I need to go to sleep it's really late lol.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, filtration is fine!

However, you have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them :)

7. OP
    OP
    Anna94

I know I have stocking issues, but I can't get rid of some of my fish as my mom's work schedule is so busy that I can't get to my lfs to trade them in and the few friends I do have (if you want to consider them friends) don't have fish tanks and neither do any of my family members so I can't give them to them. My one friend does have a few goldfish, but they're in a little pond outside and he doesn't dechlorinate the water and he feeds them goldfish flakes so none of my fish would fit in with them.

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have plans as to when you can rehome them?

9. OP
    OP
    Anna94

I thought I had already clarified that I have no friends or family members that have fish tanks so nobody can take them.

10. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Why can't you go up on aquabid, or sell them off at Fish Lore?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice