Upgrade advice please!

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I was planning to upgrade my pair of puffers to 110 gallons in a few months but they have grown faster than expected and are pretty fed up with their current 40 gallon baby tank. I've been offered a set up of 150 gallon drilled tank with internal weir, 40 gallon sump, cabinet and hood for very, very cheap as the private dealer I go to for live rock and fish needs it gone for the space (and knows I'll be buying more fish and coral). I have very little budget as wasn't planning on this for awhile but the only big expense beyond the tank is live rock, I can build the plumbing, I have a suitable return pump, and the skimmer can wait a bit as I'm not moving corals over.

I live on the first floor (second floor in the States) of an old building and need to ensure the floor will hold - does this sound feasible? I will be reinforcing a bit but can't really take up the flooring to do anything structural.

The other concern I have is swapping them over. Logistically I'll have to do it all in one go which as I understand is ok for marine fish as live rock is already cycled but I'll need to add another 90 lbs of rock and I assume I can't do 25% or 50% live to seed dry for the rest. Although the tank, etc is a bargain that's going to be hard to fund. Would 50/50 live and dry be ok as only a couple of fish so pretty small bioload in relation to water volume? If not would 75% live work or do I need the lot to be live? I'll top up bacteria as well of course but would not risk putting my little guys through a fish in cycle. Also very keen on any advice for swapping them into the bigger tank with minimal risk and stress.

Recommendations for heater, return pumps, circulation pumps, etc most welcome - I have a few bits to get it going but will need to source some things.

Many thanks! :)

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No one here can tell you if your floor will hold. Is it an outside wall? If yes it’s better than an internal wall.
About the live rock your likely better off doing all dry rock if you already have a good base of live rock and live sand. You won’t be adding anymore fish initially so you won’t change the bio load. The only exception to this would be if you can get already cured live rock as in you know it’s been in the current tank at the supplier for a few weeks. Newly shipped in love rock can have a lot of die off and cause spikes in levels.

I’m not sure why you weren’t worried about the 110 gallon tank but are worried about the 150. It’s 6 feet long so it’s press out over a few joists. What do you mean you’ll be reenforce go the floor? How can you do that if you can’t get at or see the joists. Also a fish tank is about 1500 lbs so not too much more weight than a clinch with 3 fat dudes on it.

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, we did have a look at joists and all good :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom