Updating Hedgehog's Diet

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by Kysarkel000, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

Hello all, lately I've been wanting to update my hedgehog's diet. I want to give him the best life possible, and that starts with a balanced, nutritional diet.

He's currently been eating a mix between Sun Seed Vita Prima Sunscription hedgehog food and Purina One special care urinary track health formula cat food. He used to be only on the cat food, but then our pet store got a hedgehog food he likes so I've slowly been taking away the cat food. Now there is only a few kibbles per serving.

So! First I need to know, what is a good, balanced nutritional staple food I can give him? I've read baby food is good to use, and id like to give it a try. I like the idea of being able to mix different veggies and meats together and freezing it in an ice tray. Are there any foods (baby or other) that I need to avoid? I've heard garlic and onion... Any others?

*I use mealworms and crickets at treats.

Next I need to know how much per serving does he need? And/or does he need a constant supply of food?

And lastly, I want to start weighing him... I know, I'm not popular for not weighing him yet, but hey! I'm still learning! So I need to know what an appropriate weight for a male adult hedgehog is.

Thanks in advanced!!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Let me start by saying i have never kept hedgehogs as pets however i work at a wildlife trust and we get wild hedgehogs in all the time. At the minute we have about 19.

We feed them wet cat and dog foods that don't have any fish in them. We feed the loaf type since they get their feet in the jelly type and make a mess. They get meal worms sprinkled on top. I think they like the wet food because it is probably a bit similar to eating slugs and such. I'm sure they would happily take any insect type things, healthy hedgehogs are pigs.

When they come in they can weigh anything from 150 grams (babies) to 1200 grams. Usually they are slightly underweight and weigh around 450-600 grams. We put them in the outside runs at 700 or 800 grams i think as long as they are healthy. Then if they are doing well we release them, they usually weigh around 800-1000 grams when released but we sometimes have huge ones. Once we had one weighing 1500 grams!

We weigh them, clean them out and feed them daily. I am sure we would care for tem differently if they were pets (give them more space and more toys and stuff) but we look after them just until they are healthy and fit enough to go back into the wild. So a small space and lots of food can very helpful in a rescue but unhealthy long term.

We feed them once a day. They each have a cat bowl of food. Not very helpful i know. A can of food feeds 2.5 hedgehogs usually. Baby hedgehogs get pate foods and a smaller bowl.

What kind of hedgehog are you talking about? I'm sure something like an african pygmy hedgehog requires different care to European hedgehogs.

Anyway, I'm not sure how useful that was but i hope it helps.

3. OP
    OP
    Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000Well Known MemberMember

Wow! That's alot of good information about wild hedgies! I have an African pygmy hedghog, but I don't think their care would be too different from the wild ones.

I think the largest difference in feeding your hedgies vs mine is that you're probably trying to fatten them up (temporarily) so they can survive in the wild whereas I'm trying to provide a healthy balanced diet to keep mine from gaining too much weight (long term).

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

4. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yeah we do end up with fatties lol. That's exactly what we want though so they've got the best chance when they go back in the wild. I understand that's not what you want with a pet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice