Updated Tank Photos 5 Months In And Going Strong!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by hair_hippie81, Apr 16, 2018.

1. hair_hippie81

hair_hippie81 New Member Member

Just wanted to pose some recent pics of my 20g long aquarium with live plants. This is my very first aquarium and it has been quite an experience working with live plants. The more I put in, the more I want lol. I currently have 5 adult Platy and 8 platy fry of various ages, 1 lemondrop pleco, 4 mystery snails and various live plants. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

2. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

What a lovely aquarium! Thank you for sharing it with us!

3. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

Very nice! Glad you shared!

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    hair_hippie81

Thank you! I believe it is Jungle val. It was gifted to me so I'll see if I can find out. My substrate is black sand topped with Eco Complete. I also dose with API Leaf Zone a few times a week. And also use Flourish Tabs monthly for the rooted plants.

6. Hunter1

This is a 20T. The tall skinny ones left of center are Italian Val. The withered, melted, ugly think on the right in front of the sponge filter is jungle Val.

But the jungle Val is doing better in another tank but it took months to recover from the transplant. 5-6 days in a box probably didn’t help.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    hair_hippie81

Was the hornwort possibly blocking too much light? I planted these about a month or so ago I believe and so far they are doing ok. Plants are so tricky. I've lost quite a few. I tried some stem plants and they kept getting root rot no matter what I did. I kept clipping off the rotten end and replanting with no luck. Decided no more stem plants for me atleast until I study up a bit more to figure out what I was doing wrong. Nice tank btw.

8. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

You're definitely doing something right !!!
    CONGRATULATIONS 004_symbol_banners_blue-ribbon-free-vector-1.jpg

9. Hunter1

I’ve moved the hornwort several times but you may be onto something, worth a try. I did move 50% of the hornwort out of that tank last week.

we’ll see.

10. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

@hair_hippie81
    :emoji_clap:Very Nice! I remember seeing this tank when you started. I really enjoy progression pics. How about a pic of your start-up.

11. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

That is a beautiful tank!!

12. OP
    OP
    hair_hippie81

Thank you here is a pic of the tank on November 27, 2017. 20171123_105208.jpg

13. ralph113

ralph113 Well Known Member Member

what are those plants that are crawling

14. OP
    OP
    hair_hippie81

I think you are talking about the hornwort. It usually floats but I got it from my lfs and it doesn't float for some reason, so I separated it into 4 pieces and placed it around the drift wood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice