Updated my tank decor to live plants!!

Davidh9054

For a while I’ve been wanting to get rid of all the plastic plants and plastic decorations and convert to a planted tank. Today finally was the day and I am so excited about the process I took and the outcome. Since I am new to plants and really have no clue what I am doing, I researched a lot for stuff to get started.

Part of the other reason why I wanted to introduce some plants is also because of my nitrates. I read that plants help lower nitrates. My nitrates after a week would be about 40 and would change 50% of the water.

Ok so about my tank. I have a 20 gallon high, at the moment I have 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 bronze corys, 1 neon dwarf guarami, 1 hillstream loach and 1 lemon bristlenose pleco.

For the changes I made, I added two pieces of mopani driftwood. One that I had bought a while ago and tried using but for some reason was having issues with the tank so I took it out. The other I bought at petsmart last week. I mostly all Anubias plants as from what I’ve read they are very easy plants for beginners. I have Anubias congensis, Anubias nana, Anubias coffefolia and bacopa along the back wall. You can really see the bacopa that well because they are really small. I bought all the plants at petsmart and petco. O also added an aquaclear 50 to go along with the aquatech 10-20 that I got with the tank last year.

Looking for some feedback and if anyone see’s anything that would be better another way please don’t be hesitant to say so. I wanted to change the substrate to something darker but got afraid of losing too much beneficial bacteria so I just left what was there already.
Also I wanted to add some more fish does anyone think it is possible or am I pretty much fully stocked? I wanted to get possibly another dwarf guarami preferably a female to pair with the male I have and a few more corys.

Attachments

• 7B37340E-30D2-4415-A144-064999FEF220.jpeg
    7B37340E-30D2-4415-A144-064999FEF220.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 30
  • E452E7BC-C66A-45E3-B63B-9AB04955C1CF.jpeg
    E452E7BC-C66A-45E3-B63B-9AB04955C1CF.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 29
  • ED6FEDB5-87E9-48B2-BA2B-CBF248BCE54D.jpeg
    ED6FEDB5-87E9-48B2-BA2B-CBF248BCE54D.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 31

Analisemcg

For a while I’ve been wanting to get rid of all the plastic plants and plastic decorations and convert to a planted tank. Today finally was the day and I am so excited about the process I took and the outcome. Since I am new to plants and really have no clue what I am doing, I researched a lot for stuff to get started.

Part of the other reason why I wanted to introduce some plants is also because of my nitrates. I read that plants help lower nitrates. My nitrates after a week would be about 40 and would change 50% of the water.

Ok so about my tank. I have a 20 gallon high, at the moment I have 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 bronze corys, 1 neon dwarf guarami, 1 hillstream loach and 1 lemon bristlenose pleco.

For the changes I made, I added two pieces of mopani driftwood. One that I had bought a while ago and tried using but for some reason was having issues with the tank so I took it out. The other I bought at petsmart last week. I mostly all Anubias plants as from what I’ve read they are very easy plants for beginners. I have Anubias congensis, Anubias nana, Anubias coffefolia and bacopa along the back wall. You can really see the bacopa that well because they are really small. I bought all the plants at petsmart and petco. O also added an aquaclear 50 to go along with the aquatech 10-20 that I got with the tank last year.

Looking for some feedback and if anyone see’s anything that would be better another way please don’t be hesitant to say so. I wanted to change the substrate to something darker but got afraid of losing too much beneficial bacteria so I just left what was there already.
Also I wanted to add some more fish does anyone think it is possible or am I pretty much fully stocked? I wanted to get possibly another dwarf guarami preferably a female to pair with the male I have and a few more corys.

Looks great! The shape of the wood is really nice and the plant’s positioning looks good. And if you wanted a darker substrate but didn’t want to get rid of the old you could cap the gravel with a diff one :)

Davidh9054

Looks great! The shape of the wood is really nice and the plant’s positioning looks good And if you wanted a darker substrate but didn’t want to remove yours you could put new substrate on top of the old :)
Thanks.. o wow I didn’t even think of that. I might just get some tomorrow and do it. I’m gonna wait till the morning and see how the fish are doing first. I took them all out of the tank so I can set up the wood and the plants the way I wanted. I don’t won’t to over stress them.

Davidh9054

So today I added a little bit more to the tank. I added some Java moss on top of the driftwood and planted some Cabomba along the back. Ohhhh and i got some neon tetras as well!!

Attachments

• F2DB2C08-168D-4E7F-BDF1-D5B5D4CF684C.jpeg
    F2DB2C08-168D-4E7F-BDF1-D5B5D4CF684C.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 26

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Davidh9054
Replies
Views
Revan
10 Gallon Tank 10 gallon Build Journey