Updated Gymno pics.

1. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Now that I have started to cool down all the Gymnogeophagus tanks I thought I would post a few pics to show what happens to their color when they cool down. I started to cool them down on Oct. 19th so it has been a little over a month now. Their tanks were around 78 degrees before and are now sitting around 69-70. I need it to get colder outside but we have had an awesome November so far with the temps only getting down to around -5*c at night. So until it gets colder the tanks probably won't drop too much more, I am hoping to get them down to 60 degrees this winter. On to the pics, the before pics will be in warm water and the now pics will be in the cooler water.

Sorry for the dirty glass on the new pics, I was going to clean the glass, it seems I forgot.

Before pics of Gymnogeophagus cf. Gymnogenys.

174.jpg
    514.jpg

And after pics of the same fish.

470.jpg
    As you can see he has lost most of his color, and his small "hump" he had going.

Before pics of Gymnogeophagus Australis.

523.jpg
    530.jpg
    524.jpg

After pics of same fish.

471.jpg
    He too has lost lots of color.

2. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Before pics of Gymnogeophagus Balzanii.

103.jpg
    105.jpg

And after pics of same fish.

472.jpg
    473.jpg
    This guy hasn't lost too much color yet.

These next fish are not Gymnogeophagus, however they are from Uruguay and they too can handle a cool down period, which is needed if you want to bring out their best colors.

Before pics of Australoheros sp. Red Ceibal.

319.jpg
    320.jpg

And after pics. Very sorry the glass on these is horrible....

474.jpg
    475.jpg
    476.jpg
    477.jpg
    These fish had a very nice blue sheen to their bodies and fins in the warm water. That is pretty much all gone now and they have developed black blotches throughout their fins.

3. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Beofre pics of Australoheros cf. Scitulus.

Female in normal coloring.
    478.jpg

Female ready to breed.
    577.jpg

Male in normal color.
    326.jpg
    578.jpg

And after pics.

Female
    479.jpg

Male
    480.jpg

Both male and female have become quite dark in the cooler water.

Just thought I would share the differences in color these fish have all gone through.

Brian

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That is so cool how they change according to temp. They're beautiful fish and you took some great photos!

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

awesome! they look really beautiful! Love the last guy though :)

6. kacie Member Member

Brian, Beautiful, awesome pictures. Well there is one answer to your earlier question. Why my fish show less color, 65-67 degree water. Love your Gymnogynys and Balzani.
    Kacie

7. scatty Member Member

Fabulous pics, really interesting. Thanks for sharing! :)

8. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone!

Good point Kacie, something I never considered with yours, I didn't know you has begun to cool them already. And next spring when you warm them up you will be in for a color treat!
    I really like the Balzanii too, I will add a pic of my pair. I let a buddy borrow this pair to get a spawn from them, he had them in an outdoor pond this summer and had a pond disaster......
    So I am on the look out for more as I only have the one left.

Female

638.jpg
    88.jpg

Male

84.jpg
    86.jpg
    267.jpg

Pair

484.jpg

Brian