Updated 63gal planted

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem. I'd say your missing about 50gal & 185w.
Seriously though there are some plants in there that need really intense lighting as well as the low light stuff. Hence the co2 & fertiliser regime I stick to. Without the right balance of stong lighting, co2 & ferts the high demand plants wouldn't survive very long & I would be probably get over run with algae problems. There is a tiny bit of green algae on the side & back glass but there's hardly any of it & what is there tha Otos soon take care of.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you Cody & ccb04.

The substrate is in several layers. Top layer is 1" mixed grade natural black gravel. Under that is 1 1/2" Eco-Complete. Under that is 1/2" playsand & under that is 1/4" raw laterite.
I use API & Flourish root tablets, Flourish Comprehensive & K2SO4 (potassium sulphate) for fertilizers. There is a DIY co2 rig, 2 x 5lt yeast generators diffused through a 400lt/hr powerhead. I've just hooked up another 2 x 2lt yeast generators yesterday that are running through a 200lt/hr powerhead. Giving me a total of 4 yeast generators & a co2 concentration of about 25ppm. There is near enough 200w of T8 fluorescent light over the tank.
Can you just explain a little about the different substrates, why you chose 4 and in that order? And with 4 like that, can you avoid mixing up all those when you replant? Do you keep anything like Malaysian Trumpet Snails to burrow around the substrate?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The laterite is right down the bottom because laterite turns to mush & makes one heck of a mess if it gets out from under the other substrates. I used the laterite because I already had it & it is very high in Iron. The sand is there to help keep the laterite where it is supposed to be (already had that to). The Eco-Complete is there because of it's ability to absorb & store nutrients, (chose Eco because it's cheaper than Flourite). The gravel is there because it is 1/4 the price of Eco-Complete. It is a limestone based gravel which raises my KH from 6 up to 8, giving me a little extra buffereing capacity against PH swings due to the co2 & I like the look of the gravel. If I were to replant the tank then a certain amount of substrate mixing would be unavoidable but I try not to move any plants after I have put them in so that doesn't happen. There are no trumpet snails or other substrate turners in the tank at all.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
limestone based gravel which raises my KH from 6 up to 8
Have you had an increase in pH too ? or is the concentration only enough to affect KH?

Only curious cos this might help me ???

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the PH has gone up along with the KH. When this tank was running with a quartz substrate & the same amount of co2 diffused the same way, the PH used to swing between 6.6 & 7.0. Now it holds steady at 7.4.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hmmm, thanks.

I love the setup, but why is it every plant you've got I'm too scared to buy for fear of it being too 'needy'

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looking great Nutter! I love the anubias sp. petite, what a beautiful and delicate little plant. Once the E. Tenellus grows in it will compliment things nicely. If it doesnt fill in as fast as you would like Dwarf Sag would grow a little faster and have the same look.
Keep up the nice work,
Nate

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Nate. I just have the Tenellus as an experiment really. With how coarse the gravel is I'm not expecting it to do that well. I was going to do ordinary Tenellus but couldn't get any. The Tenellus var 'Tenellus' grows as individual rosette plants rather than individual stems like ordinary Tenellus does. It also stays much smaller topping out at 2" high.

If the variant I have doesn't work out I'm going to go with Downoi (Pogostemon Heiferi) if I can get it. Dwarf Sag has always been the standby that I know I can get to work if nothing else I feel like trying does. I love the Anubius Petite to but I have trouble with it in this tank as I have it in a brighter than ideal spot. I think I'll be moving it to the other side of the tank when the Red Tiger Lotus is big enough to offer some shade.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nutter that was to funny im missing about 50 gallons but i have a empty 75 gallon tank that has been sitting here next to me for 3 months, i need to get started. But i loved that comment made me laugh.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you dose co2? I am looking into co2 tablets. any experience with those?

Beautiful set up.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you dose co2? I am looking into co2 tablets. any experience with those?

Beautiful set up.
Yes I use DIY co2. I've never used the tablets. I just don't like the idea of them & the yeast/sugar is cheaper. There are details of the tank, lights, co2 & substrate scattered right through this thread. You can also check out these two threads for more info on diy co2:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom