Updated 63gal planted

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thought I'd post a pic of my 4ft tank now that it's planted out & stocked. Just added Alternanthera Reineckii & Ludwigia Ovalis today. The Echinodorus Tenellus var 'Tenellus' was only added last week as an experiment. I want to see if I can get it to spread out even with the coarse gravel up the top. (there's eco-complete & laterite under the gravel)

Attachments

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Beautiful setup, Nutter. I like the smallish red and green rosette-ish about 20% in from the right for some reason. Just catches my eye. And the taller pink plants behind it! What are those?

I take it the Echinodorus tenellus are the small sparse plantings in the center by the flat stones?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The rosette plant is Echinodorus 'Rubin', The taller red plant behind it & scattered around a few other places is Alternanthera Reineckii (not sure of variant). The tall plants across the back are Hygophila Salicifolia. The Echinodorus Tenellus var 'Tenellus' is the small stuff scattered through the foreground.

Full list of plants: Echinodorus 'Rubin', Echinodorus Tenellus var 'Tenellus', Echinodorus Uruguayensis, Hygrophila Salicifolia, Hygrophila Polysperma 'Sunset', Alternanthera Reineckii, Aponogeton Boivinianus, Ludwigia Palustris (EDIT: was sold to me as L. Ovalis but research revealed otherwise), Red Tiger Lotus, Anubius Nana var 'Petite, Cryptocoryne Wendtii sp 'Tropica' & Java Moss.

You can't see the Red Tiger Lotus as it is only about 1" high at the moment & is behind the rock on the right side of the tank.

Fish: 10 x Lemon Tetra, 10 x Harlequin Rasbora, 10 x Rummynose Tetra, 6 x Otocinclus, 4 x Yoyo Loach, 2 x SAE, 1 x Kribensis, 1 x DG.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That looks absolutely fabulous!!! I'm hoping when I plant my tropical community tanks, they turn out like that!

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nutter, your tank truly is a thing of beauty. I'm jealous! You just did such a superb job.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone. The advantages of over 200w of light.

I'll be sure to post pics in a couple of months when the new plants have grown out a bit & hopefully the Tenellus will have worked it's way through the coarse gravel to cover the foreground fairly well.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you Cody & ccb04.

The substrate is in several layers. Top layer is 1" mixed grade natural black gravel. Under that is 1 1/2" Eco-Complete. Under that is 1/2" playsand & under that is 1/4" raw laterite.
I use API & Flourish root tablets, Flourish Comprehensive & K2SO4 (potassium sulphate) for fertilizers. There is a DIY co2 rig, 2 x 5lt yeast generators diffused through a 400lt/hr powerhead. I've just hooked up another 2 x 2lt yeast generators yesterday that are running through a 200lt/hr powerhead. Giving me a total of 4 yeast generators & a co2 concentration of about 25ppm. There is near enough 200w of T8 fluorescent light over the tank.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
beautiful tank nutter I love it. I just planted my first tank. What kind of light you using to get 200 watts. that is really powerful. do you have any problems with algea. again looks beautiful.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Wing. Just 5 x 4ft T8 shop fittings. The stand & hood are a diy job & there's stacks of room for lights in there. If I switch to dual tube fittings I could comfortably add another 120w to it. I use the T8's because I don't have to pay for the fittings. T5HO equivelant would set me back $400+ in LFS's & I hate ordering stuff online even though it would be heaps cheaper. I also like having more choice of tubes than I can have with T5HO. Maybe I'll upgrade the fixtures one day though. I use 2 x Sylvania Gro-Lux, 1 x Hagen Aqua-Glo & 2 x Phillips Aquarelle tubes.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks nutter, I dont want to hijack your thread the reason why i was asking, was because you helped me pick a bulb for my 15 gallon tanks, and that is only 15 watts for my plants so I was trying to figure what i was missing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom