UPDATED 10g stocking??

sheila1998

Member
I have finally decided what fish will go into my fully planted 10g tank after hours of research but I want to double check and make sure it's right. Keep in mind, I will eventually move to a 16g tank within a year from now, but until then this is the 10 gal tank. From what I've read these guys have similar diets and conditions, but I am new to doing this the RIGHT way so I want to make sure.
For the 10 gal I am planning on doing:
1 pair of dwarf powdered blue gouramis
5 norman's lampeye killfish
1 scarlet badis (debatable so I've read)
A few snails
Maybe an algae eater bottom dweller ( any suggestions? )
 
Best Answer - View wateriswet's answer

Mike1995

Member
I could be wrong but I believe scarlett badis probably won't do well with this proposed stocking. They tend to eat mostly live foods. It might be a little bit difficult to make sure they're fed enough due to their shy nature. It may get outcompeted by the other fish.
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Hi, I wouldn’t do a pair of Dwarf Gourami in a 10 gallon, one in there is a squeeze as it is and they can be pretty aggressive towards each other.

Was your plan to have all those fish together or are they different options?
 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
Mike1995 said:
I could be wrong but I believe scarlett badis probably won't do well with this proposed stocking. They tend to eat mostly live foods. It might be a little bit difficult to make sure they're fed enough due to their shy nature. It may get outcompeted by the other fish.
Note taken! I will leave him out then

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, I wouldn’t do a pair of Dwarf Gourami in a 10 gallon, one in there is a squeeze as it is and they can be pretty aggressive towards each other.

Was your plan to have all those fish together or are they different options?
Just a few options but most of them I wanted but I have cut out the scarlet badis. I was really wanting one showcase fish and I thought a dwarf gourami would be the best option! Say one single gourami and a school of lampeyes? I read dwarf gouramis are very social so I thought a female and male would work without them getting lonely or bored and I assumed they wouldn't be aggressive since they are a pair
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
sheila1998 said:
Just a few options but most of them I wanted but I have cut out the scarlet badis. I was really wanting one showcase fish and I thought a dwarf gourami would be the best option! Say one single gourami and a school of lampeyes? I read dwarf gouramis are very social so I thought a female and male would work without them getting lonely or bored and I assumed they wouldn't be aggressive since they are a pair
Dwarf Gourami are actually very aggressive even to the females, especially in a small tank. They are also often a very unhealthy fish.
Honey Gourami might be a good option and are very much social, a pair of them should be fine.

Keep in mind, a 10 gallon isn’t that much space but I can’t really comment on the Lampeyes sorry.
But a nano school with a pair of Honeys and your snails should be fine
As for a bottom Dweller I’d only really suggest shrimp of some kind.
 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Dwarf Gourami are actually very aggressive even to the females, especially in a small tank. They are also often a very unhealthy fish.
Honey Gourami might be a good option and are very much social, a pair of them should be fine.

Keep in mind, a 10 gallon isn’t that much space but I can’t really comment on the Lampeyes sorry.
But a nano school with a pair of Honeys and your snails should be fine
As for a bottom Dweller I’d only really suggest shrimp of some kind.
Wow I did not know that! I guess honey gourami will be it then! Do you think a pair of them will do?
 

wateriswet

Member
I will second the recommendation of pair of honey gouramis over dwarf, but with a cautionary tale. Post a photo from the store of the honey gouramis to the gourami thread to verify that they are actually honeys. Honeys max size is 2.5" and they are peaceful. However, there is a very similar looking gourami called the thick lipped gourami that look very almost the same and are often mislabeled as honey. Thick lipped get to about 4" and are more aggressive. I accidentally got the thick lipped and now trying to rehome the male because he is so aggressive towards everything in my 20 gal.
 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
wateriswet said:
I will second the recommendation of pair of honey gouramis over dwarf, but with a cautionary tale. Post a photo from the store of the honey gouramis to the gourami thread to verify that they are actually honeys. Honeys max size is 2.5" and they are peaceful. However, there is a very similar looking gourami called the thick lipped gourami that look very almost the same and are often mislabeled as honey. Thick lipped get to about 4" and are more aggressive. I accidentally got the thick lipped and now trying to rehome the male because he is so aggressive towards everything in my 20 gal.
Wow okay great to know! Thank you!! I'm not too impressed with their coloring so I'm not sure if I will go with them or find something else. Do you have any other options for one main guy or pair in 10 gallon tank? I just love the idea of one showcase fish and then a school of fish. Simple and elegant
 

wateriswet

Member
A true sunset honey gourami can be a vibrant golden orange. The wild type honeys have some vertical bars kind of similar to the dwarf gourami. They are also pretty smart/personable. Mine will eat pellets out of my fingers which is really cool (yes, I was the kid who wanted a puppy and got fish instead so this is the most pet interaction I've ever had).

Try googling 10 gallon centerpiece fish? There are some good videos by Aquarium Coop with different options and I find it helpful to see the fish swimming around to get a better sense of how it will behave in a tank vs. just looking at a still photo.
 

Wrench

Member
In a 10 gallon for a showcase I would recommend you get a big bamboo shrimp, they are neat looking.
 

Mike1995

Member
If it gives you any ideas, in my 10g have 6 pygmy Cory's and like 8 celestial pearl danios. I do notice the danios only eat mid water so keep that in mind if you ever keep them.
Its also planted with java ferns and anubias nana.

I do agree with the above mentioned comment about aquarium coop. Cory has several good videos on suggestions for stocking these types of tanks.
Here's a few of the videos if you're interested.

 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
wateriswet said:
A true sunset honey gourami can be a vibrant golden orange. The wild type honeys have some vertical bars kind of similar to the dwarf gourami. They are also pretty smart/personable. Mine will eat pellets out of my fingers which is really cool (yes, I was the kid who wanted a puppy and got fish instead so this is the most pet interaction I've ever had).

Try googling 10 gallon centerpiece fish? There are some good videos by Aquarium Coop with different options and I find it helpful to see the fish swimming around to get a better sense of how it will behave in a tank vs. just looking at a still photo.
Aw they sound cute and I did read they're a lot more sociable than the dwarfs too. I've watched many videos but everywhere I have checked I always find the debate on sizes! I was going towards a dwarf ram when I saw it in a few youtube videos and then heard it's a big no no and that they need a lot more space and should be in a school. I've actually watched many of Aquarium Coop's videos!! That's actually where I got the idea for a gourami and a scarlet badis from. Fish keeping is so hard since I'm a picky person lol

Wrench said:
In a 10 gallon for a showcase I would recommend you get a big bamboo shrimp, they are neat looking.
I had a vampire shrimp in my last 20 gal but I heard bamboos can't stay in a 10 gal. Another debate on the topics! I want to do what's best but sometimes I wonder if some of the sizes are just based on the fishkeeper

Mike1995 said:
If it gives you any ideas, in my 10g have 6 pygmy Cory's and like 8 celestial pearl danios. I do notice the danios only eat mid water so keep that in mind if you ever keep them.
Its also planted with java ferns and anubias nana.

I do agree with the above mentioned comment about aquarium coop. Cory has several good videos on suggestions for stocking these types of tanks.
Here's a few of the videos if you're interested.

Thank you! That's actually where I got the idea for most of my tank stock but I had no idea about the dwarfs being aggressive. I'll stick to the lampeyes and look for the one big show piece possibly the honey gourami. Or maybe do killifish instead I just don't want babies so maybe not. So many options!!!
 

Wrench

Member
Eh, I get the fish needing a large size as they grow out but I dont think you would have to worry about a bamboo shrimp getting a foot long, they just chill in one spot anyhow and collect food through the water column, mine has only moved 2 times since I bought him.
 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
Wrench said:
Eh, I get the fish needing a large size as they grow out but I dont think you would have to worry about a bamboo shrimp getting a foot long, they just chill in one spot anyhow and collect food through the water column, mine has only moved 2 times since I bought him.
Aw yay then I'm getting one for sure. I know vampires are similar to the bamboos so I may do a vampire instead cus their colors are cute. And I had two in a 20 gal that literally just hid to the point I couldn't find them anywhere until I tore my tank apart when I reset it and they were all the way up inside a castle I had. The shrimp is def happening
 

Wrench

Member
sheila1998 said:
Aw yay then I'm getting one for sure. I know vampires are similar to the bamboos so I may do a vampire instead cus their colors are cute. And I had two in a 20 gal that literally just hid to the point I couldn't find them anywhere until I tore my tank apart when I reset it and they were all the way up inside a castle I had. The shrimp is def happening

Hes colorful
 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
Wrench said:

Hes colorful
Awww and he doesn't seem as shy as vampires!!
 

Wrench

Member
sheila1998 said:
Awww and he doesn't seem as shy as vampires!!
Hes right out in the open all the time...he dont give a hoot who's around, it's pretty funny.
 
  • Thread Starter

sheila1998

Member
Wrench said:
Hes right out in the open all the time...he dont give a hoot who's around, it's pretty funny.
Haha! What a silly guy! His colors are bright too which I read means he's super comfortable and happy
 

Wrench

Member
sheila1998 said:
Haha! What a silly guy! His colors are bright too which I read means he's super comfortable and happy
He just molted today and has snuck off somewhere to harden back up lol.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom