Update

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello everyone its been a while since I posted anything.
I thought i Would let you know i released my bull head catfish a week ago. I had him for half my life. Its been a great 6 years buddie! If you would like to see him you can go on my page and watch the video. He was getting way to big for the tank i had him in. I think he was probally 2-4 pounds and about a foot long. I hope he has a great life in the pond near my house. No one really fishes there and anyone who does knows that its my fish so don't think anything bad is going to happen.

The 55 gallon is going to be a tropical tank with a few caves from the rocks I got from Rocky Falls the coolest place in Missouri .
I was wondering fish I should add to the tank if you guys have any suggestions.

My 20 gallon is doing wonderful with 6 platies, 2 SAE, and 1 albino catfish. Thanks so much to the people that have helped me set it up. x

My Betta tank is doing great. Sparky has a new buddie in there, a black inca snail.

I hope everyone has had a great St.Patrick's day and Easter!

-Nathan

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
55 gallon, eh?

Tropical community -

2 GBRs (German blue rams)
10 cardinal tetras or 15 neon tetras
8 silver, marbled, or black-winged hatchetfish
8 pygmy corydoras
6 otocinclus or 1 BN pleco or 1 clown pleco

Amazon biotope (pretty much the same as above, with a few minor changes) -

2 GBRs
10 cardinal tetras
6 ghost catfish
10 marbled, silver, or black-winged hatchetfish

Coldwater/subtropical community -

20 WCMM
15 zebra danios
8 peppered corydoras

The coolest tank evah -

40 neon tetras
10 pygmy corydoras

Species-only tanks:

Oscar tank -

1 oscar (or is the tank still too small?)

Archerfish tank -

*Only fill the tank up to 45 gallons
**Brackish water

2 archerfish

Shrimp tank -

500 RCS or 300 CRS or 100 tiger shrimp or 5 vampire shrimp

Crayfish tank -

*Keep a close eye on the crayfish in case there's aggression

3 crayfish

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Cheese Burger and Elodea Im really liking the blue rams they look so cool I always thought they were a cichlid and could only be with there own species. Thanks for your ideas i will certainly keep them in mind . BTW what are WCMMs?

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats awesome that all of your tanks are doing well.

Good for you also for getting rid of the catfish beings it is such a big fish. However I have to say the responsible thing to do would have been to kill it. One of the biggest problems with releasing fish is introducing a new species to an area and we all know that is NOT the case here, however that doesn't make it the right thing to do. I could probably write 4 or 5 pages on this but I will leave it at part of being a responsible hobbiest is to never release any fish you keep in a tank at home. It doesn't matter if it is a popular fish you can go to any body of water in your area and catch or not or if it is a private pond, it just shouldn't be done. You don't have to agree with me I am just giving you my opinion.

Good luck with all your tanks and also with stocking the 55gal back up.

Brian

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
White cloud mountain minnows. Technically, they are a type of danio, but prefer coldwater. Here are some pics of the ones that Harpua2002 has (first photo). https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/buy-sell-trade/68649-fs-beautiful-community-fish.html
Thanks Elodea those are very beautiful fish I will be looking for them at my lfs's

Thats awesome that all of your tanks are doing well.

Good for you also for getting rid of the catfish beings it is such a big fish. However I have to say the responsible thing to do would have been to kill it. One of the biggest problems with releasing fish is introducing a new species to an area and we all know that is NOT the case here, however that doesn't make it the right thing to do. I could probably write 4 or 5 pages on this but I will leave it at part of being a responsible hobbiest is to never release any fish you keep in a tank at home. It doesn't matter if it is a popular fish you can go to any body of water in your area and catch or not or if it is a private pond, it just shouldn't be done. You don't have to agree with me I am just giving you my opinion.

Good luck with all your tanks and also with stocking the 55gal back up.

Brian
Alright Brian I appreciate your oppinion. I couldnt kill it i had most of my life. And sadly he will most likely die because he had an infection in his tail. I do agree with you that you shouldn't introduce foriegn species from over 10 miles away into a stream,lake,or any body of water. In a lake i know of there are millions of freshwater clams taking over. I really Thought it was the best thing to do. Thanks again
- Nathan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom