Update Your Fluval Light Software !

Loniram

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hennmann - Thank you so much. Your response is very helpful. Yes, I was running Apple IOS on an old iPad and was using Fluval app version 1.1.3. Will try your instructions on the broken light. Will also use a newer Apple device to do so.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Loniram no need to use newer diePhone as I have a 5C UNLESS you are using a 4 or 4C BUT your phone whatever you are using MUST HAVE Bluetooth 4.0 and have IOS 9.0 or newer. If it does you should be good to go. My 5C has 4.0 and 9.1 and worked fine!!
Now as Tom mentioned when updating unplug your light from power and update.
V1.1.5 is now out there as well.
Also if there is a problem try uninstalling the app and reinstall.
Keep one important thing in mind and when you install the app and perhaps uninstall your app first you will discover that after uninstalling, updating and NOW plugging in the light even though it will not light up when you select scan for devices, BLIP, your light should appear.
IF you get the connection failed nag keep trying until the icon highlights and no connection failed DOESNT appear. You should now be able to do the swipe to the left procedure and open the menu for the forced update. PLEASE USE V1.1.5!
After this saga lasting two weeks and now having my light working and not having to send my light back for warranty I told Tom at Fluval there are a number of us mentioning the same thing on forums and I will post what he told me to end this lack of information. I have also seen asinine responses to this problem as well and let's face it these are expensive lights and if warranty is required and in this case unnecessarily a bit of knowledge passed on is helpful!!

If your not part of the solution you are part of the problem ;-)

jamesw6810

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tagging into a slightly older thread but:

just got myself an Aquasky and a Plant nano version for my 2 tanks

I like the colouration and the customisation but how in gods name in the pro settings do you get the light to turn off..

I want the light to go off at 10.30pm and back on at 7.30am, through the day I want it to phase through different computations which I can do but when I set to off at 10.30 and on at 7.30, it just uses the 7.30 setting all night..

Has anyone any experience with getting this working?

cheers

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jamesw6810 said:
Has anyone any experience with getting this working?
I did have a lot of trouble until I found an extremely helpful video. I can’t find it right now but it’s from Bentley Pascoe (best fish guy for tips on Fluval lights) but here is a picture of his settings. Just copy that with your own and it will work like a charm.

As you can see, you need to start with 0% and end with 0%.

z18l.jpg

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have to use your app to access the automatic timer and all of its settings. Yes a video is great BUT depending on what version of APP or software you are using the appearance of what is going on as well and Tom who is tech support at Fluval Canada who got me out of my bricked light mess mentioned this. First you will need a newer proper app of course as my outdated one got me into this kerfuffle in the first place! You will notice that you will most likely get a not connected nag a number of times while attempting to connect! Keep trying and don't be surprised if it takes 5-6 attempts, yes that many but when you do connect you will access the menu which can be a bit confusing at first if you haven't used it like many. If your lights DO NOT turn off perhaps you are in MANUAL mode and this can be figured out by looking at the color of your power touch pad on the top of your light. Sorry I forget what color it should be if it is manual or auto but as for being the best thing since sliced bread as I mentioned earlier in this thread and others on this forum "ANY power glitch or outage will throw the automatic or onboard timer into default mode!!" Plain and simply put if it goes off a few minutes or hours after coming on it will default to 12:00AM and if you have auto feeders like I do this means the lights could be 12 hours out of sync and the feeders will continue to dump. Some scoffed at my complaint of this obviously not owning one or living in a big city where the power never goes off being of no usefull advice and totally should be ignored as rubbish!! A week ago we had a power failure from 11:00 AM until 8:00 PM and their excuse was a structure caught on fire damaging a power line but when all was said a third of the province was without power for all these hours. Oh and as mentioned earlier it will default and you will need to contact a freind to install the app on their phone and tell them to stop by and " reset" the light. UPS isn't much of an option because I contacted the manufacture of a higher wattage unit and it will only work for an hour or less depending on how many lights you have and this is not much help now is it?? I have solid state timers that have an internal battery backup so when the power goes off at least they still retain proper time compared to the old style mechanical timers using an electric motor that will resume when the power goes off but will be out of time depending on how long the power goes off. Updating the software? After my adventure with defective apps and fearing a warranty claim I never updated the firmware in my second Fluval Full Spectrum Plant which is a 36 inch and I have no intentions because it operates just fine as is! Your operators manual will show you how to place it in manual in the event of not having a smart phone and if going on holidays with the risk of any power interruptions get a timer and use manual. When home I use the ramp timer but will not use automatic when away. I have DLink security cameras and I can tell when they are sitting on night mode with the moonlight on.

KjellGreybear

Reaction score
hennmann said:
Loniram I suspect you fell into the same problem I had and most likely you attempted using V1.1.2 app? I had a great deal of problems after attempting to update my firmware on my Fluval Fresh and Plant and it came down to the firmware update not being completed. This is the most important thing especially if you are running Apple IOS. If your app downloads the update, indicates 100% download but stalls and won't let an update take place check your version. The ones that wouldn't let me complete the update were 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.
1.1.5 worked great but this was also using TestFlight app with it as advised by Fluval tech support Tom. I just got off the phone with him to advise him on my success and getting my light working again and he mentioned the Apple users were experiencing the most problems as well. IF you are using 1.1.2 like I was? this is the app that bricked my light! It started erasing my V1.2 and didn't finish the erase and update to v1.3 rendering the light useless. Tom expounded "don't use 1.1.2!" At that time my light became useless I had no idea it was:
A) still actually able to be detected
B)still actually able to communicate with the mobile device and app
C) most importantly still able to be upgraded after a bad or failed update attempt

Check your app version and there is now 1.1.5 which works and is working on my iPhone 5C

Tom informed me of being able to do a forced update when it appears that the app and the rendered useless light are doing nothing.
On your 1.1.5 app tap the icon representing your light and it will go through the motions of connecting. If your firmware was bad like mine it will highlight the icon as white and WILL NOT indicate connection failed. Take your finger and touch the icon and SLIDE your finger to the LEFT. You will now be presented with a simple sub menu with update, or cancel. Tap on update and it will now indicate what version is on your light and mine was a corrupted V1.2. It asked if I wanted to update and I selected yes. It downloaded, erased and replaced the firmware with V1.3 and my light now works. If you cannot get the main menu going indicating my presets etc. this is what you will have to do. This is of course if you have a failed update. If you want problems use an earlier version of the app! In a matter of days I discovered the app was updated 3 times indicating problems.
I have two of these Fluval Fresh and Plants and I don't think I will bother updating the firmware on my 48 inch after not being able to use my 36 inch for two weeks mainly due to lack of information on a possible solution!
As I mentioned in a different thread this firmware saga all started from not knowing what was going on with my lights not turning back on after a power interruption and it was suggested I update my app from 1.1.1 to the latest and at that time it was 1.1.2 which actually gave the option to update my firmware which the other version didn't. The V.1.2 was defective and rendered my light useless which is why I strongly suggest check your app version.

One more thing Tom mentioned as well is when updating your app unplug your light from the power. Also if there are still some problems unplug the light, shut down your app and even reboot your phone by powering it off and restarting. Start your phone, your app, and then reconnect your light to power. If need be uninstall the app and reinstall as well doing so while your light is unplugged from power. When you reinstall or restart and then plug your light in and select scan for devices your light working or not(such as a bad update) should be detected. If you have a bad update like I experienced your touch pad on the light itself will not even be on IE red blue green or white.
I am having the same problem. I am unable to find the 1.1.5 version you are referring to. I downloaded the TestFlight app but it seems you need an invitation code. Where can I get a code? Thanks for all the help you have provided.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No need to use test flight just get the latest app and be warned it can be glitchy like the others with connection failed nag. My older app started to crash when trying to connect so I updated the app

My TestFlight never needed a code as well and BTW I never updated the firmware on my second because of what I went through for additional benefits I haven't noticed other than the blue nightlight not working and no it has not increased algae when I use! As I mentioned before if using auto a blip in your power will give you problems IF you are away for an extended period! I mentioned this and mentioned my light being bricked until Tom at Fluval helped me out but meanwhile I got acused of trolling for speaking the truth and warning others of what can happen NOT EVERYBODY lives in an area with uninterrupted power!! Also keep in mind the touch pad on the top has 3 positions, off, manual, and pro. Anymore questions feel free to post and I will attempt to help as well and if power failures are a factor get a timer and set to manual. When you are at home use the ramp timer. I purchased an inline ramp timer for my older Aquasky without Bluetooth or internal timer and perhaps it could be used on these Bluetooth versions as well provided you use manual mode where an external timer is used. One thing I'm leery of now is does this aftermarket ramp timer behave like the Fluval or does it retain any memory of time? I will have to test it and find out.

KjellGreybear

Reaction score
I got some some help from Julio at Fluval on Monday. He linked me to the 1.1.5 app you were referring to, and he help me to restore the light. I didn’t know Bluetooth devices could be so sensitive. He asked me to turn off all other Bluetooth devices in house, including other Fluval lights. We were able to eventually force it to take the update. Thank you again for all the information.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m still on version 1.1.4 and see no option for updating (no « cloud » to click on). How do you get the update and is it worth updating as I have no bugs at all with this version ?

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I will tell you how all of this started....
When I originally purchased the pair of the Fluval Fresh and Plant which are the 3.0 higher wattage and the app at the biggining never had any indication or provisions for flashing and updating the programmable chip in the light! Next there was the suggestion by Fluval to update the APP because this ALL STARTED when I noticed the lights were stuck on blue night light after a power failure.

Let's go one step farther here! There was absolutely NO INFORMATION on what was going on and my thought was these new expensive lights are defective!!
Fluval didn't provide ANY online information about the fact that these lights WHILE USED IN PRO OR AUTO do not have any battery backup to prevent this!! Also they did not provide any information mentioning in the event of a power failure the lights default back to a default state of which they start over at 12 AM regardless of what time of day this is!
If you have a power failure at 12 Am fine and dandy but if it is in the morning let's say, you end up being totally out of sync on your timer for as long as you are not around to reset it using Bluetooth! My my my sounds kind of lame now doesn't it??

Okay I was told I need to reset the light using Bluetooth app on my iPhone and the first app didn't have a flash provision or feature and it was also buggy and poorly conceived to say the least! The suggestion was update to the latest which was the next after the very first. Don't forget this is shortly after they came on the market.
Well here we go for a ride on the merry go round of confusion because this second app was terrible and a recepie for disaster! It has the flash or update feature and I was advised to update the firmware. During the flashing of the programmable chip and due to this version being defective the light powered off before the firmware was completely and properly updated!
Now I got no light, no touch pad being lit up, just totally DEAD! OMG now my thought due to poor information provided was my light is bricked and I will have to ship it off at my expense. Yes if there is warranty the customer has to ship it to Quebec at his or her expense and wait for the light to be repaired or replaced! Grrrrr I went through this in the past with a shatter proof aquarium heater I had to send away and wait, been there, done it!

Finally after all of this kerfuffle with Fluval Hagen in United States mentioning it was most likely warranty and being in Canada I would have to contact them in Quebec.
Why did I contact United States Hagen Fluval you might be wondering? The American site ANSWERS the telephone PROMPTLY and offers advise and info not perpetual voice mail!
Finally I get through to a fellow in tech support at Fluval Hagen in Canada and his name is Tom. Tom informed me that the second version was quite simply very bad and get rid of it now! Download the latest he said and install it. Next he said plug in your light, turn on the app and let it detect your lights. My so called dead light was detected indicating it was still working and he said we will have to force program it and this is what I did and on came the light.
Since that version they were coming out with new versions every few days and according to Tom Apple was the most problematic and he mentioned make sure your phone has Bluetooth Version 2 as we suspected my 5C is too old and also causing problems which it isn't and actually a 4S might even be new enough.

Now if you fall into this situation don't assume your light is bricked like I did because at that time the info was lacking and horrible! If your app detects it even though the touch pad is not lit up it is still mostl likely salvageable.
Since this is a number of months ago I will have to check back through my emails from Tom but at the same time check back on my much earlier posts especially on another thread with at that time more detailed info on what I had to do and how to force an update.
By the way I haven't updated my second lights firmware because after this gong show the so called benefits didn't appear to make it worth updating the other one. Also I had both running a dim blue nightlight to simulate moon light and after the update that light no longer has it functioning and perhaps I overlooked a setting or perhaps the earlier firmware version was also defective like the early app! Yes I got flamed and accused of trolling but if you end up in this mess like I did wondering what to do you most certainly want to know what is going on and how to solve it!

IF your power is prone to blips, brown outs, interupted service and even for 5+ seconds this will give you the blue light syndrome as I described with myself and others wondering what is going on! The only way of correcting this is resetting with Bluetooth and your app or running your light in manual and using a mechanical timer or in my case I have a solid state timer with its own battery backup!
It does nothing out of the box for backup but after being plugged in for a while charges its battery.
If you are on vacation use manual with a timer or get somebody to check daily or every other day and get them to download the app on their phone so they can reset the light! If they don't have an aquarium or these lights you better teach them as well.
I have security cameras and can actually tell if my lights are on or not but that is little comfort if somebody can't reset them. The good news is if they know where they are located a phone with Bluetooth can be used outside the house beside the light and when the app connects it will be reset.

I told Tom at Fluval that this is totally lame to say the least! I said you are sitting in front of a computer and located on the motherboard is a small battery that backs up your clock, calendar, and BIOS settings and these batteries last for 5 or more years. When a customer pays almost $300 for one light I would say this warrants a battery like in a computer to be installed so I don't have to beg somebody to head over to my aquarium and use an app, a questionable app to hopefully reset it!
As Paul Harvey who used to give Paul Harvey news on the radio used to say "now you know the rest of the story" LOL!

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hennmann I wish I could have read what you wrote but it is very hard to do without paragraphs and a little bit of « air » between them. If you would care to edit, I’m sure many would appreciate.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry! I am looking at editing but thumbing out a post on this iPhone 5C and the mobile version doesn't appear to give me option of editing that is of course unless there is something I don't see?

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hennmann said:
Sorry! I am looking at editing but thumbing out a post on this iPhone 5C and the mobile version doesn't appear to give me option of editing that is of course unless there is something I don't see?
hum, I don’y have an Iphone, but the Edit button is at the bottom of the comment box, on the left hand side on my tablet.

hennmann

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well things have been quite interesting to say the least!
The power outage saga continued a number of weeks ago so here we go again! Get the 5C out and open the APP. After opening select the desired light as I have a 36 and 48 inch Fluval Fresh And Plant Full Spectrum 3.0.
Select one, anyone and crash the app crashes and literally shuts down! Try it over and over and crash after crash!
A total reboot of the phone doesn't help so I uninstalled, went to the Apple Store and got the latest which turns out to be 1.1.4 NOT 1.1.5 so I most likely mistook the APP for 1.1.5 or??
Now at that time I'm able to access each light and on they go.
This is as far as I went with them all those weeks ago and recently the horrible Duckweed took over so badly that there was very little light getting down to the plants that matter so I spent several hours with my net skimming it off the surface and angrily flung it in a bucket where it belongs!
My lights are set for maximum brightness and algae started to bloom on some of my plants. Since I have a 36 and a 48 inch on this 157 I was alternating them to limit the light but then I thought why am I wasting my time with this nonsense when I can use the APP and adjust the spectrum and intensity and turn the brightness down!
My APP indicates two separate lights and also shows one has Manual and Auto and the other has Manual, Auto, and Pro and remember I updated one and not the other and left it at that after running into what looked like a bricked light due to a bad APP that myself and others went through!
Anyway I select a light and it doesn't matter which one, updated firmware, or non updated firmware, open the menu showing all the settings and their sub menus.
I select the menu for the light spectrum/intensity settings indicating each color and how high or low I wish to have them at for intensity or brightness. I'm able to slide the indicator back and forth or more or less so I slide them all to 50% just to see if this is too little or too much and for those of you who have tweaked this know there is a cancel and save Icon at the bottom.
Anyway one thing I notice is the save is not highlighted after changing the settings but I tap this Icon and the lights remain the same AND the APP locks up not allowing me to exit this sub menu at all.
After pushing the Home button and reopening the APP all of my attempted settings remain at 100%
I reinstalled the APP and same thing happens so I get my other 5C given to me by a friend and it is in brand new condition from only being used for a few weeks and discontinued out of disgust being only an 8 gig model. It was reset to a like new condition with the latest IOS so I tried it as a process of elimination for a possible defective phone, corrupted IOS or not new enough IOS version.
After installing the only version of FluvalSmart the Apple Store offers which is 1.1.4 I retried my attempt with the same results.

Now I contact Tom Sarac who is Fluval Tech support, the fellow you see on the Fluval YouTube Videos and explained the situation. His remark is "what good is it if it won't let you save it" and I said the APP is locking up and unfortunately he uses an Android phone which uses a different version and of course a different OS.
I also informed him it DOESN'T matter if it is an updated or non updated firmware light.
Tom has sent this situation over to the engineers to look into and they are now getting the identical lights as mine, testing them out using the same app (I hope) and are sending them out.
For those of you out there that have:
Plant Spectrum LED
Fresh&Plant Full Spectrum 3.0
14523 (The 48-60")

or the
14522 (The 36-48")

would you please be kind enough to open your app and attempt to adjust the light spectrum/intensity settings and see if the app saves and doesn't lock up like mine does?
Also IF it does work what version is the APP? If you don't know it is under the settings menu.
Also I'm using an iPhone as well and this may or may not be a factor in this problem?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom