100 Gallon Tank Update video - Moving the discus from quarantine to their permanent home

DylanM

DylanM

Someone suggested I get a camera stabilizer to improve the video quality which I think I'll do, does anyone have any other criticisms for how the video is filmed/edited? I'm trying to improve.

86 ssinit

Good morn. What camera are you using? Your going in an out of focus. I find with my Nikon this happens. I have to keep my finger on the focus button. But the camera still doesn’t know what to focus on. The plant or the fish. I find my iPhone does a much better job. Next let us see the whole tank. Some up close but more of everything moving. When your up close it’s hard to tell how big your discus are. At first I thought they were way to small but at the end they did look about 4”.
Next film after all the bubbles are gone. I wipe the bubbles off the glass right after a water change and than again about a half hour later. I find the warmer the water the less bubbles. Are you adding prime or filtering your water out of the tap? In the end you have a lot of algae growing over your plants. Are you using anything for this? I use api co2 booster. It takes time but it will kill it off. Do you have any algae eater or snails in the tank?

DylanM

86 ssinit said:
Good morn. What camera are you using? Your going in an out of focus. I find with my Nikon this happens. I have to keep my finger on the focus button. But the camera still doesn’t know what to focus on. The plant or the fish. I find my iPhone does a much better job. Next let us see the whole tank. Some up close but more of everything moving. When your up close it’s hard to tell how big your discus are. At first I thought they were way to small but at the end they did look about 4”.
Next film after all the bubbles are gone. I wipe the bubbles off the glass right after a water change and than again about a half hour later. I find the warmer the water the less bubbles. Are you adding prime or filtering your water out of the tap? In the end you have a lot of algae growing over your plants. Are you using anything for this? I use api co2 booster. It takes time but it will kill it off. Do you have any algae eater or snails in the tank?
If the focusing is annoying I can just record with less depth of field next time. I'm using prime to dechlorinate the water. I think I explicitly mentioned that I have a lot of algae, I'd rather not do a pressurized CO2 setup on this tank and I think I looked both into excel and API CO2 booster before and thought that they were super expensive for the amount that you get, but I might buy a bottle to test for a few weeks. I also listed the tank stocking in the video description and in the video itself, but the only things that might be considered algae eaters are the clown & snowball plecos and the amano shrimp.

86 ssinit

Yes the shrimp should eat it. Are there many? I’m not complaining about your video you asked for criticism I’m just offering some . Sorry I just watched wasn’t listening . As to the api yeah it is expensive. I buy on eBay for about $9 a bottle. Once got if for $5 so you have to keep an eye out for it. It does work. As to the plecos they don’t eat much algae.

DylanM

86 ssinit said:
Yes the shrimp should eat it. Are there many? I’m not complaining about your video you asked for criticism I’m just offering some . Sorry I just watched wasn’t listening . As to the api yeah it is expensive. I buy on eBay for about $9 a bottle. Once got if for $5 so you have to keep an eye out for it. It does work. As to the plecos they don’t eat much algae.
Sorry if I came off as offended, I definitely agree that the algae and camera focusing are a problem, thanks for your criticism! Next time I go to petco for catfood & beef heart I'll pick up a bottle of the stuff to see if it helps with the horrendous green hair algae. One thing I am concerned about is 1 of the red turquoise discus seems stunted to me, I would say this is because I had to keep them in their smaller quarantine for a few weeks longer than I wanted to, but the other ones seem to be growing fine and reaching about 4" after having them for a few months, while the one looks to be less than 3.5", should I feed more? I'm already feeding beef heart daily and discus bio-gold & tetra colorbits 2-3 times each day, could I risk overfeeding them?

86 ssinit

Ok I’m going to watch that video again . You can never feed to much. I just got 8 more 2.5” from Hans yesterday. I will feed at least 6 times a day or more and change the water daily or every other day. Food and water changes are the key. I feed freeze dried black worms mostly. I feed enough for them to eat in about 2 minutes.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom