Update.... unexpected

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by guppygrl, Dec 4, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

When I posted my update this morning I had just flushed one dead guppy and the remaining one was floating at the top near death. I put her in a breeding box and put that into the big aquarium. Call me silly but I didn't want her to be alone when she died. I gave her some of her favorite food and left for work.

Upon arriving home my daughter went to check on the fish and excited little voice shouted'babies'. The poor girl managed to hang on all day and she's had about 25-30 fry and was still dropping when I left. I carefully removed them and put them in the nursery tank. There are a dozen still born but many living. They are premature.. since some have their egg sacs. But alive and well

Unless a miracle happens before I'm home, I'm certain she will pass. She looked near death this morning. I gave her half hour to live. She is floating on her side... poor fish.

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Congrats! They are supposed to have their egg sacs :) That's how they feed for a bit after being born, so you don't have to feed them yet. Sorry to hear she isn't doing well though :(

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thanks... I hope the fry survive. I did everything I could for the mom. I couldn't euthanize her... glad I didn't this morning. Just never know.

She is a beautiful large girl and was told the dad was a really nice half black male. I did see some unhatched eggs. :confused:

4. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

PS... I've never owned a guppy who dropped so many fry. It's bittersweet today.

5. aquatic

aquaticValued MemberMember

Congrats on the fry :)
    While you sadly lost her, at least some of your fry will most likely resemble her and carry on her legacy.

The most fry I've had at one drop was low 20s, wonder if holding so many took a huge toll on her.

6. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Most I've ever had was around.... 100... Probly more... o.o' I'm takin' about, scoop a 4 inch net full of babies 5 or 6 times with no effort needed, and then a little bit of fancy hand work a few more times to get most of the remaining fry. Reason why I got my 20 long right there LOL

Sorry you lost your girls :( I was very attacked to my guppies when I bred them. My favorite was one I named Amorak. She was a massive 3 inches, heavy build, and a bright orange tail! I hated to get rid of her, but after 2 years of breeding guppies, I was done with them, and only kept a few choice males lol

7. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thanks everyone. It was a sad day but maybe my efforts to save her helped her have her fry. She is now passed on and left just over 40 fry. When I left to go out tonight it looked like some were still born but they hatched! Only 2 dead fry from her drop.

I just picked up 3 ten gallon tanks tonight so I have time to prepare a nice home for just guppies!

Attached Files:

8. Akari_32

You're gunna have your hands full! Good luck with the little guys :)

9. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I can't imagine 100 fry... this drop was not expected but so needed after losing so many nice guppies. I know she's from a good line and I plan on doing my best to raise the fry big and strong! Now I have to do some research on fry raising! My little girls are so excited too. I don't want any more toilet funerals for a while.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I guess you get to keep your name after all :)

11. Akari_32

Yeah, that female was an over achiever LOL luckily, those numbers don't happen often.

I would recommend hatching brine shrimp! They are a yummy protein packed snack :)

12. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I joined a local aquarium group today and oddly won a big bag of really good quality fry food. I've never hatched those before but heard they are good protein for fry. Is the process hard to do?

13. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I will be busy! Three empty new tanks and so many fry. Looks like I will remain Guppygrl after all... not guppy widow! :)

14. Atomsk

AtomskValued MemberMember

Whoa that's a lot of babies!

15. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Yes it was. If the other three guppies that died would have had fry I would potentially have quadruple that. They weren't pet store guppies.. from someone who breeds them locally. :)

16. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

i would die if i had that many babies too o_O

17. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

No kidding! Lol
    Poor fish was really sick before so I'm happy her legacy will continue. I was getting really discouraged because I love guppies the most.

18. Akari_32

19. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thanks for the suggestion... what a great Project! My kids may enjoy that too. Are they small enough for my tiny guppy fry to eat?

20. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Baby brine shrimp are fun, another easy culture is microworms. Both are great for livebearer fry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice