Update sorta-ish - Neon Tetra - HELP

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by crawfishcrazy27, Aug 9, 2014.

1. crawfishcrazy27

crawfishcrazy27 Well Known Member Member

Ok guys, so today I went to my lfs and got 3 neon tetras, and put them in the tank, then went out, but before I left I realized one of the tetras wasn't doing well so I was going to check on it when I got back, well long story short... He died, and then my DG ate him.

So the question is do I need to get more tetras ( like 3 more ) or what? Because I know they need more than 4 to feel secure and I don't have another tank.

HELP!!!!

Tanks in Advance

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

2. D

Dolphielov New Member Member

Most likely, you will need to get more neons. (I have seven, and they seem fine.) How big is your tank? Do you have any other fish in there?

3. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I would more likely think that he was eaten by your crayfish. Are you sure it was your DG?

5. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

I am not 100% sure it was my DG, but I think if the cray got him there would be some scraps, idk.

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

6. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

UPDATE:

Another Neon Tetra has been consumed.
    I don't know by whom.

PLEASE HELP

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

7. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I suspect the crayfish more than the dwarf.

8. Nick Della Rocca

Nick Della Rocca Valued Member Member

yes. i have 2 dwarf crays. got 1 of my corys. but this corey had guts and in a eay got what was coming. but since then the have been hiding in my plants claws out and my neons have been getting up close and personal. how ever none have been taken... yet

edit:: there may not be scraps. one way to try to help them not go for your fish. ive been feeding them 3x a day. also buy some ghost shrimp. there cheap. so if anything alive goes its them

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  9. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

At first I was thinking that while I was looking for scraps if any, and saw my DG kinda nip at the tetra so idk.

HELP

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

I am probably gonna get 2 or 3 mollies or guppies tomorrow because they are a bit to quick for the craw and can't fit in the DG's mouth, depending on what happens when I study the back of my eyelids though.

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  10. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If this is the 10 gallon then I wouldn't get mollies as they get too big, I'd still be wary of guppies with the crayfish

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The crawfish will most likely wait until the fish "sleep" and then attack. They live in the wild with faster fish and are able to hunt and eat...it's what they do.

12. e

evan47 Valued Member Member

i would suggest hatchet fish as tankmates. they rarely swim below the top quarter of the tank. maybe the top third of a 10 gallon.

13. OP
    OP
    crawfishcrazy27

Ok so the cray or DG ate the last one.

HELP!!!

How big do hatchetfish get?

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice