Update On The Betta And Time Schedual Questions

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AllySaturn, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AllySaturn

AllySaturnValued MemberMember

SO lucky is living up to his name. He is quite lucky. He now has a 3.5 with live plants and a homemade betta bed. He will be up in my room because he seems to prefer quiet time (but I rarely sleep so he will have PLENTY of attention.) I do have a question though. My betta downstairs is on a time schedual and I want to know how to give Lucky one as well but doing it backwards. Hear me out, I wanna make him awake during the night. Why? Because then he will see me and he will be able to play and then when I'm out during the day he can sleep. Does this sound weird? Is it a smart idea?

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

If anything you can do a research paper on it....but if it looks to be anything like the "sleeping during the day, awake at night" studies they've done on humans, it's not a very good idea.

3. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

He has never seen the outside world except for at night so that's why I was thinking. I'll try it and see what happens. Also @APierce the betta is a half moon and his tail is obviously quite heavy. I gave him a betta bed (made by me all fish safe products) and I'm unsure if he knows what it is. When he was in my other tank (long story) he would get all hyper (flareing at the next door neghbor) and then lay on the ground for a few and go back at it. This is normal right?

4. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

That is normal. My daughter's Betta did that like crazy when we first got him. Eventually he stopped flaring at himself and everything and everyone (including us), I'm pretty sure it stopped after she added stacked rocks to create a kind of "cave" for him to hide in.
    I'd assume it's pretty normal for a fish not to understand that their bed is a certain thing. I can't even get my cats to sleep in the beds I've made them, if there is a box next to it :)

5. LevibeastValued MemberMember

My betta is awake if there is any light in the room and only sleeps in complete darkness. At least when I am home anyways.

6. Pringlethesnail

PringlethesnailWell Known MemberMember

My betta sleeps periodically all day and night. Switching it would be fine. Many bettas get shipped from Thailand where the day/ night cycle is at a completely different time. He will probably just have "jet lag" for a bit. Just make sure it's consistent. Put it on a timer if you have to. My bettas favorite place to sleep is this betta fake plant I got from petco stuck sideways at the top of the tank. He has two of these some floating plants and a floating log and he occasionally sleeps on the bottom still. Do you have a filter? Sometimes they hang out at the bottom a lot when the filter current is too strong. 518783f4b0d7c5c6423f7dc3254d983a.jpg9faa98686bff7c782a3493aa3a632cba.jpg9326585f2e89f6ede8b8c0fe3ba1226f.jpg69adf1b9e1789b60da706d7d2a7acbdd.jpg

7. saket

saketValued MemberMember

how did you make the betta bed? i am so curious i just got a 20 gallon for mine so want to make it great for him. could you tel how you made it?

8. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Here is my two cents. Are you doing this for his benefit or yours? His needs must come first.

All living things have normal biorhythms. Their bodies behave differently during the day and at night. Even if they haven't seen the "outside" world, it is natural instinct. You are risking compromising his immune system by dictating a schedule that isn't natural. Let him find his own routine.

9. OP
    OP
    AllySaturn

@AllieSten it would be for his Benefit of course!! I'm up in my room at night so he would get more attention. @saket well long story short I bought a pre made betta bed and it rusted so I took the leaf out leaving the suction because I forgot. Well I got a new betta with a heavy tail and I remembered I had it so I filled the top where you put the leaf with crazy glue and stuck in three silk leafs (2 large 1 small. And let it dry. @Pringlethesnail my new betta is laying litterally behind the filter currently so I'll take that as a step up from the bottom but has no problem swilling through the water I don't belive.

10. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Hey @AllySaturn how are you feeling? You haven't been around for several days and I know you were really sick.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice