Update On The 20 Long

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by MattS99, Apr 23, 2017.

1. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Haven't been on in a few days, but here's what has happened. I finally got the Bolivian Ram. Tracked one down at LFS. He's a baby still, barely over an inch. He's a beautiful fish, and already staked out his territory in the tank. I know I said I'd up my school of Colombian tetras from 5 to 7, but LFS had these cool guppies that I couldn't say no to! And, my guy was on his own and guppies are a social fish, so he got two new friends, to make a male trio. When I got home and looked over my fish a bit more, one of the guppies was acting kinda strange, a bit wobbly, but I ignored it because he was fine other than that. And I found him dead this afternoon. You guys think I should get another guppy soon, make it a trio again? I'll get pics up when I can, probably tomorrow. But the current stocking is: 5 Colombian Tetras 2 Male Guppies 1 Male Platy 1 Bolivian Ram (90% sure it's a male)

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

If you do.decide on.getting another guppy i would wait a while until a new batch came in or buy from another shop just incase they are not 100% from that shop.

3. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I'm honestly not worried about them. I've bought so many happy, healthy fish (especially guppies) from them, think I just got a dud this time. Plus, the other is fine. The only reason why I'd buy somewhere else is the 45 minute drive, because I have a PetSmart 10 mins away with pretty good fish, actually.

4. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Surprisingly I would say yes. While I'm a huge advocate of qt, in this case all your stock is new, I would add them all now in case things arise... otherwise if you wait I would recommend a qt for any other new fish

5. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I've never used a qt tank when adding fish to an established tank, it's overcautious in my opinion. I only qt if something is very sick. I usually treat the whole tank, but then again I run the temp pretty high and take good care of it, so nothing really happens. And my stock isn't new at all. 4 of the 5 tetras and the old guppy have been in there for a year now. Outside of the new additions (Bolivian and the new guppy), all of the other fish have been in there for 6+ months. I'll probably head out to PetSmart and get another male guppy some time this week.

6. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

For anyone interested, I suddenly found the other new guppy dead this morning. Very surprised. Other than that, the tank is great! The Bolivian is very healthy, but he's scared of my platy. Runs when he sees it. He doesn't eat too much but I'm not really concerned because if he was hungry he'd eat, and I've seen him eat a bit. I'm naming him Melvin, after the band Melvins.

7. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

OK, I've been guppy-less for about a week, all 3 suddenly died. Been thinking about stocking, I really like Glowlight tetras. Think I'll do 6 or 7. Sound good to you guys?

8. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Sorry about the guppies :(

9. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Wiped out the local Petco of glowlights, got all 6 that they had. Beefed up the school of Colombians to 7, they actually had them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice