Update on Royell

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Royell is doing awsome.I decided to start him on peas early though, so he wouldn't refuse them later on when needed. He gobbled it right up w/o even having to fast him. It's probably because he's so young and he'll eat anything at this point. I was so excited.

He is a very happy Betta.He hasn't buily any bublenests yet, but I'm sure eventually he'll learn. He hasn't been flaring at his reflection to much since I brought him home either, except for this morning.He decided to have a flaring contest with himself after I turned his light on. He's so funny to watch.

Well that's it for now. I just wanted to let everyone know that he is doing really well. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He sounds like he is so cute and a good source of fun for his mommy. ;D

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He is so much fun! ;D I just really hope that he'll be ok with Burt and Ernie when it's time to put him in the 5 gallon. I'm sure he will be. I'm just paranoid. He's a baby after all, so I hope that he's not too territorial yet. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gald to hear he's doing well. I wouldn't be too worried about the Otos. I don't think they'll mind him too much expecially since he's still young.

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that Royell is settling right in. It is fun to watch them explore their new home.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you got another Betta, Natalie.  Welcome to the club Royell!  It's good to hear Royell is adjusting well and I'm sure he'll be very happy in his new home.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike and everyone else. Mike- I brought him home on Saturday and he's been such a joy. I wasn't sure if you had read my other thread and had known I had gotten him. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I did catch that posted on another thread, Natalie. I've just been busy the past few days, which has made it hard to keep up on threads or make comments. Didn't you just get a 3-gallon Eclipse? Is that where Royell is hanging out?

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah he is in there for another week and a half. Then I'll be putting him in the 5 gallon. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I jjst took Yoyells water peramter's for the first time since I've had in there and the Bio-spira is definitely working now that he's in there. I have a question though. Should I do a water change tonight with these permamter's or will the bio-spira take care of it?

Perameters:
Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 1.0

Nitrates: 10

I just don't want them to get any higher then they are, but I want to make that it's ok to do a water change while the bio-spira is doing its thing or will it mess it up?

Natalie

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I might do a quick and small water change anyway. I just want the nitrites and nitrates to come down a little. It makes me nervous that they are this high. I know they aren't in the danger zone yet, but by tomorrow they could be and I don't want Royell to get poisoned by them. Natalie ???

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't changed his water yet. I'm really at a croosroads about this. :-[ :-\ ??? Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, Natalie, please do not do a water change for the first 7 days.  It is okay, I promise you.  The levels will not hurt him.  It is just the Bio-spira establishing itself and it will not poison him.  I have gone through this many times and it is normal.  If you read the literature about the product, you will see that they tell you about these spikes and they are going to work out.  You will only slow the process down and put him into a mini-cycle if you change the water and water down the Bio-spira.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well it's been in there for 7 days, but it was in there for 2 w/o him so I guess I have to count the day's from when he frist went in there. So I can do one on Saturday then, right? Since he went in there last saturday? Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not know. I have never done it that way. I just dump the packet in the tank and then add the fish and it works okay. I hope the bacteria didn't die while there was no ammonia in the tank...

Just keep testing and if the readings get too high you will have to do a water change of some of the water but I hope you don't have to. Just keep the little guy in mind first so if he needs his tank changed, go ahead and the Bio-spira will just have to catch up. I guess I missed the part where you added the Bio-spira ahead of time or I would have given you a heads up.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think the good bacteria has died because I just took the water parameter's again and that have lowered since last night.

Nitrite: .25

nitrate is at 5.0

Last night they were at:

Nitrites: 1.0

Nitrates: 10

That is a very good sign.

Hopefully by tomorrow they should be back at 0 and I should hopefully be able to do a water change. If not I'll wait till Sunday to see if they went down to 0. Natalie

PS Royell is still doing awesome!!

Thanks Rose again for your expertise.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GREAT...and I am so happy for you.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just took the water parameter's a few minutes ago. They are all at 0. So, it's safe to do a water change now right or should I wait till tomorrow? Today is the 7th day for the cycle. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Go ahead any time but I would not do more than a 25% this first time. Then just keep a couple of tests this week and do another 25% during the week if you need to. It sounds like you are doing great. I am so glad you have all the fish as I think you are one who enjoys them to the max.

Rose

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good to see the tank is cooperating with the Bio-Spira, Natalie.  I wonder how Royell has taken the Bio-Spira break-in period.  Did Royell ever act out of character, not eat, etc.?

Mike

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom