*update On 1st Water Change*

MsRiss

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
12
Location
Kansas
Experience
Just started
First water change went well! I did take out 1 filter cartridge and replaced it with a filter pad and rinsed the other with tank water from the water change. Also added bio-rings to the filter ( the little bag of white things) my LFS said it would help keep beneficial bacteria. I would like opinions on that... My ammonia dropped to 1.0, nitrites stayed the same at 0.25, and nitrates went down a hair. I did dose with Fritz A.C.C.R to help detoxify the ammonia. On a positive note the cloudiness is gone! I think I may have had my plants out a little to long as they look a little more puny. So what I have learned after some reading is that the beneficial bacteria lives on substrate, the blue filter holders, decor ect.... My ammonia and nitrites should be zero at all times. When cycling don't you have to have both? How do you know when the tank is cycled? That is the most confusing part for me. I take my water levels everyday and yesterday was the first time ammonia had spiked that high. I understand now how important my water changes are!!! Will continue on a more regular basis!!! BIG THANK YOU for everyone's advise! It has helped a great deal. I'm glad to be here with y'all!!! Oh one more thing... I've read that you can have to many bubbles... Would y'all say that's to many bubbles? The Cory's seem to really enjoy them!!! There funny little dude's lol!!!
1565752022303.jpg
IMG_20190813_205541281.jpg
IMG_20190813_205527677.jpg
IMG_20190813_205513912.jpg
IMG_20190813_205500987.jpg
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
13,431
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations on your first successful water change.

You will know your cycle is complete when you get a constant 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "I may have had my plants out a little to long". Did you remove them to do your water change? How much of the water did you change? A normal one isn't all of it. It is just a percentage of it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
M

MsRiss

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
12
Location
Kansas
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Congratulations on your first successful water change.

You will know your cycle is complete when you get a constant 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "I may have had my plants out a little to long". Did you remove them to do your water change? How much of the water did you change? A normal one isn't all of it. It is just a percentage of it.
I took out 50-60%... I took them out because I had just got them and didn't know you had to take them out of the bundles and separate them and then plant. Although I did end up putting a few back together because they were even more fragile after the tops of the plants were out of water for 3 hours while I did the water change. I hope I get faster at it. I also had added a couple things may have been why it took so long to do.
 

Gone

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
1,551
Location
Minnesota
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice tank!

You're in an important phase in your fishkeeping life. Knowing what's going on with the cycle, bacteria, etc., is going to take a while. You have to watch really close and you're doing that. You have a good test kit (make sure you follow the instructions for bottle #2 nitrate), and you're looking at water changes as a big part of the solution. Assume it will take 4 - 6 weeks to cycle. It might take more or less time than that, but be patient.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
M

MsRiss

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
12
Location
Kansas
Experience
Just started
GuppyDazzle said:
Nice tank!

You're in an important phase in your fishkeeping life. Knowing what's going on with the cycle, bacteria, etc., is going to take a while. You have to watch really close and you're doing that. You have a good test kit (make sure you follow the instructions for bottle #2 nitrate), and you're looking at water changes as a big part of the solution. Assume it will take 4 - 6 weeks to cycle. It might take more or less time than that, but be patient.
Thank you
 

Dunk2

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,529
Reaction score
3,417
Experience
2 years
MsRiss said:
First water change went well! I did take out 1 filter cartridge and replaced it with a filter pad and rinsed the other with tank water from the water change. Also added bio-rings to the filter ( the little bag of white things) my LFS said it would help keep beneficial bacteria. I would like opinions on that... My ammonia dropped to 1.0, nitrites stayed the same at 0.25, and nitrates went down a hair. I did dose with Fritz A.C.C.R to help detoxify the ammonia. On a positive note the cloudiness is gone! I think I may have had my plants out a little to long as they look a little more puny. So what I have learned after some reading is that the beneficial bacteria lives on substrate, the blue filter holders, decor ect.... My ammonia and nitrites should be zero at all times. When cycling don't you have to have both? How do you know when the tank is cycled? That is the most confusing part for me. I take my water levels everyday and yesterday was the first time ammonia had spiked that high. I understand now how important my water changes are!!! Will continue on a more regular basis!!! BIG THANK YOU for everyone's advise! It has helped a great deal. I'm glad to be here with y'all!!! Oh one more thing... I've read that you can have to many bubbles... Would y'all say that's to many bubbles? The Cory's seem to really enjoy them!!! There funny little dude's lol!!!
1565752022303.jpg
IMG_20190813_205541281.jpg
IMG_20190813_205527677.jpg
IMG_20190813_205513912.jpg
IMG_20190813_205500987.jpg
Congrats on the first water change! After a few times, it becomes quite routine and not a big deal.

Based on your water test result, you should make sure your Ph level is OK for the fish you’ve stocked.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
13,431
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
MsRiss said:
I took out 50-60%... I took them out because I had just got them and didn't know you had to take them out of the bundles and separate them and then plant. Although I did end up putting a few back together because they were even more fragile after the tops of the plants were out of water for 3 hours while I did the water change. I hope I get faster at it. I also had added a couple things may have been why it took so long to do.
Gotcha I know that first water change can be nerve wracking but as time goes on it will get much easier on the nerves.

I understand now what you had to do for your plants. Hopefully they will grow well for you. After many many years in this hobby I finally decided I wanted to get rid of plastic and silk plants. It took a while for me to finally start having some success with live plants.

I have a green thumb when it comes to house plants but growing plants under water is a whole new world for me.

I have started with what are supposed to be easy to grow plants. I feed them with Thrive and Thrive root tabs. They are thanking me by growing pretty well now. I did melt several plants before finally getting a handle on how to take care of them.

It was finally determined that my very soft water wasn't the best water for them. I now add Equilibrium to the water to get the TDS (total dissolved solids) up from the original 21 from the faucet to close to 100 and now my plants are doing much better.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
M

MsRiss

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
12
Location
Kansas
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Gotcha I know that first water change can be nerve wracking but as time goes on it will get much easier on the nerves.

I understand now what you had to do for your plants. Hopefully they will grow well for you. After many many years in this hobby I finally decided I wanted to get rid of plastic and silk plants. It took a while for me to finally start having some success with live plants.

I have a green thumb when it comes to house plants but growing plants under water is a whole new world for me.

I have started with what are supposed to be easy to grow plants. I feed them with Thrive and Thrive root tabs. They are thanking me by growing pretty well now. I did melt several plants before finally getting a handle on how to take care of them.

It was finally determined that my very soft water wasn't the best water for them. I now add Equilibrium to the water to get the TDS (total dissolved solids) up from the original 21 from the faucet to close to 100 and now my plants are doing much better.
That's positive! Thank you for the encouragement!!!
 

Jayda97

Active Member
Member
Messages
248
Reaction score
77
Experience
2 years
I'm not sure if you saw my response to your last post but I told you to add the little white media rings the pet store suggested lol. I still suggest swapping the filter pad for a sponge as well but ultimately that's your decision. Either way make sure you never replace the ceramic media because that's where the majority of your good bacteria will start living now. Good luck with everything!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
M

MsRiss

New Member
Member
Messages
37
Reaction score
12
Location
Kansas
Experience
Just started
Jayda97 said:
I'm not sure if you saw my response to your last post but I told you to add the little white media rings the pet store suggested lol. I still suggest swapping the filter pad for a sponge as well but ultimately that's your decision. Either way make sure you never replace the ceramic media because that's where the majority of your good bacteria will start living now. Good luck with everything!
Jayda97 thank you because if you saying it first it made total since when the LPS said it lol. Thank you. I have bought some sponges for filter media. I'm currently using on one side of my filter along with the bio rings.
 

Jayda97

Active Member
Member
Messages
248
Reaction score
77
Experience
2 years
MsRiss said:
Jayda97 thank you because if you saying it first it made total since when the LPS said it lol. Thank you. I have bought some sponges for filter media. I'm currently using on one side of my filter along with the bio rings.
yay I'm glad I could help! Your new setup sounds perfect then hopefully it doesn't take you too much longer to get yourself fully cycled now that your filters got lots of good permanent bacteria growing spots
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
76
Guests online
2,068
Total visitors
2,144

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom