Update & New Problem. Small Erosion Holes In Bettas Fins

1. KelRednip

KelRednip Initiate Member

Hi guys! Just want some opinions on what's going wrong with my bettas fins. Last week he started with obvious pin holes (pic1),
    I stated every other day 20% changes, IAL & paragard.
    1 week later the initial holes are healing over but now his rays are peppered with what I can described as erosion, like whatever hasn't eaten all the way through. It's mainly on the bottom fins right at the ray tips. (Pic2)

I'm assuming it's a type of fin rot.
    I usually do 2 water changes a week.
    Levels sit at Ammonia 0-.25 (comes out the tap at this, I use Prime)
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Silk plants, smooth ornaments/caves & sand for substrate.
    I'm at a loss, only think I could think is I'm not cleaning the sand good enough?
    I've got Paraguard, waterlife myxacin, esha 2000, meth blue & kanaplex. I don't like to use meds but keep some just incase.

Not sure where to go from here?

He's fine in himself behaving normal & eating fine.
    (Pics in different posts as phone playing up)

2. OP
    OP
    KelRednip

Pics

Attached Files:

3. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

It's kind of hard to say for sure it's rot. To me it looks more like rips from his fins snagging on decorations. Did you do the nylon test on all his decorations? To do this, you rub everything with a knee high stocking and look for snags. Some silk plants can have snag spots, so I'll suggest you look there first, and do the nylon test.

You said you have ammonia in your tank, and it comes from the tap. How long does it take to cycle out?

You did not state PH. Is the ph similar from tap to tank?

For Fin Rot, there has to be a trigger. Fin Rot does not just happen. I still think you should do the nylon test on his decorations first before we move into possible fin rot.

4. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Looks to me like pinhole fin rot.
    Though I'm not 100% on that. Would anyone confirm?

5. OP
    OP
    KelRednip

Hi thanks for replying.
    Pic below is his PH- first pic is tap, second is his tank.
    The Ammonia usually converts in 24hrs, I dose prime every W/C.
    He has silk plants & various coconut caves/hammocks. The coconuts are made by a woman specifically for bettas, they're boiled & smoothed, used by a lot of people who keep bettas. But I will check them & the plants with some nylons & sand any sharp parts.
    Since it seems to be mainly contained to lower rays it would make sense that it's snagging. He also drags them along the sand too, hence me pondering me not cleaning it thoroughly.
    All my tanks have this set up & the planted one has the coconuts so I'm going to check them all.
    I know it's something I'm doing wrong, it's just finding what.

Attached Files:

6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

If your pH is lower than 7.6 then you go by the normal pH numbers. The high pH defaults to 7.4 if it is 7.6 or below.

So I would say your pH is around 7-7.2. Does that sound right by what you are seeing?

I also think it is pinhole fin rot. It is better treated with nitrofurazone. You can find it in Jungle Fungus Clear at Walmart or API Furan-2.

It's worth a shot. You sound like you take very good care of your bettas, so I don't think it is something you are doing necessarily. It may be that the rot only partially healed and now has returned.

7. OP
    OP
    KelRednip

Thanks for your reply. That PH corresponds ok, the api kit is annoying at times, looks slightly different in different lighting.

I'm in the UK so none of those are available to me, actually maybe the API one, but I'll look & see if there are alternatives over here. I'm sure we can't get antibiotics easy here, I had to order Sachem KanaPlex from the US. It's the strongest stuff I've got & im scared to use it.

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Kanaplex may work, but you are right it is pretty strong. Nitrofurazone should be pretty easy to find though. It might be a different brand over there, but the medication is the same. You should call some fish stores and see what they suggest as far as locating the med.

9. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Use the eSHa. This is not a bad case. Betta fins wear. We can't do anything about that. The more active they are, the more they swim and thus the more likely they are to damage those delicate fins. (The real reason they are kept in small plastic containers at stores)

10. OP
    OP
    KelRednip

Yeah, I usually start with mild & see how it goes.
    KanaPlex is something I bough only to be brought out in extreme cases, like find are going by the day.
    I've got another boy who gets pin holes but from flaring a lot, he's angry at the world, even at his food some days lol.
    This boy is actually a calm one.
    I'll look up nitrofurazone, I've got a good lfs that I can also ask.

11. OP
    OP
    KelRednip

Update & a new problem.
    Still battling the fin rot, we have good days & most holes heal, then more appear but I'm battling on.
    The new problem is marks on his head, don't know if it's related or not.
    It started off as one patch on mon & has spread, they're nor raised & appear slightly dipped from what I can see.
    He's acting his usual self. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

12. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Keep an eye on those pits. They are in a region where lateral line (hexamita) occurs. It is caused by bad water conditions so with what you are doing for the fin rot it would surprise me very much. Perhaps stress can play a role. If the pits start to cover over with white, then treat for hexamita. eSHa Hexamita is probably available where you are located.

13. OP
    OP
    KelRednip

Thanks, I'll monitor him.
    I though perhaps he catching his head on something but nothing's changed in his tank since I got him.
    He has had one spot on his head the will occasionally appear & go again, been like that since I got him. Never spread till now.
    The Esha Hexamita, is the only one I've not got. The lfs sells the products & I've been getting a different one each payday.