Update - Life!

1. AnnaEA Member Member

My tank is now a functioning eco-system of some kind! There is algae growing on the sides of it, and on the plants, and somehow a nearly microscopic snail has arrived.

I am really really wondering where the snail came from....... I only noticed it today, and I spend a good 20 minutes a day looking at my tank. It must have come in on the plants I got -- but I got them about two weeks ago, and I washed them well in bleach water before I put them in the tank.

I am hoping this snail is a safe visitor, and I do not need to worry it over populating my tank or anything.

Anna

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

It won't hurt anything. the small snail is probably just one that came in as an egg on one of the plants and the bleach water doesn't kell the eggs. They won't do anything but eat some of the algae. If it bothers you, you can remove it and throw it away or smash it against the glass and let your fish eat it for a snack. I could never do it but mine just eventually died out after I got the otos who ate all the algae. I think they just didn't have anything to eat.
    Welcome to the group. I do hope you enjoy being here as much as I have. This is a wonderful group of people. They have made me feel so welcome and helped me so much and I know they will do the same for you. Please feel free to ask all the questions you may have and we will do our best to help you. We love having you here.

Rose
    :)

3. RudeeRu Member Member

;D I am having the joy of life as well! My tank is fully cycled, I have algae in my tank (waiting on my pitbull pleco to come in, I can't wait!) too (that was exciting and stressful to see!)....and tonite I just noticed one of my ghost shrimp is going to have babies (can totally see the eggs!)! Yipee! That means I've done something right! Except now I don't know what to do! I guess I have to buy a mini-tank? Oh well, just happy that everything is thriving! Congrats to you too! Ain't it a great feeling? I too have snails, didn't have the heart to kill them off, started off with 3 now I'm up to 10...but they are doing a great job with the algae (not too much, not too little), they haven't touched my plants, and I just witnessed last nite one of the ghost shrimp snacking on the wee-little snails...population control! :D