UPDATE: LB has a hole in his analfin

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, LB's tank still isn't cycled and I really need to medicate him for his fin rot.  He was a little scraggly and medicating him in the vase has not been working.  This morning I when I checked on him, he had a hole.  So now I am thinking that I need to get him out of the vase and into the tank where I can control the temp.  I have been doing 50% water changes on the vase, but lying on the marbles has caused his fin rot, I'm sure.  The tank is cycling the ammonia, but the nitrites have stayed at 2.0.  I have done 2 50% water changes on the tank and it is still at 2.0.  Any suggestions?  I know I need to medicate him, but it is not working in the vase and it is very hard to determine the proper dosage.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: LB has a hole in his analfin

Oh dear! I am so sorry about the hole in his fin. Poor LB really needs some help fast. I know you are doing all you can and someone is sure to come on here soon that can tell you what else to do. I know that you can't put LB in the tank as long as you are using ammonia to cycle it. My heart goes out to you and LB.

CherryRose

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Try doing another 50% water change and then wait about 4 hours to test the water as it takes a while after a water change to get an accurate reading. If it is 1.0 or below then go ahead and move him and turn the temperature up to 82 slowly. I would put him in a baggie in some of his vase water and float him for 30 minutes since he is going from unheated water to heated water. The shock will not be as great for him this way and he will love the heated water, I can promise you.

He may get by with some Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies if the hole is a pin hole type, but if it is larger, he is probably going to need Maracyn2.

Please do keep us informed of his progress and you will need to keep close eyes on the testing so the water is not getting out of hand. Let us know if you need help.

We will say a prayer for you and him.

Rose

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

OK, thanks, Rose. I will do another change and wait a bit. I didn't wait 4 hours between the first 2, only about 2 hours. I have some Maracyn 2, so I will use that. The hole is bigger than a pin hole. What surprised me was the fact that it appeared overnight. The ammonia is at 0 right now, cherryrose. I didn't feed the tank this morning because I saw the hole and realized I might have to move him. His vase water is 78, so hopefully he won't get too much of a temp shock. I have been testing twice a day, in the morning before work and again around 8pm to monitor the nitrites, so I won't have a problem keeping up with the testing and water changes.

I'll let you know how he does.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score

That sounds like a wonderful plan. It sounds like you have been keeping right on top of the testing and water quality. And Rose always seems to know just what to do. Good luck!

CherryRose

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

Well I did a 75% water change about 4 1/2 hours ago and the nitrites are still at 2.0. I am at a loss. After 3 water changes, I have no idea why the nitrites have not come down.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Try testing your tap water. Could be you have high nitrites in your water. If that is the case you can use part tap water, part store-bought spring water. Rose or someone else will have to tell you how much to use since I have never used spring water.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

That is a good idea. You may want to just temporarily get Spring water for half of the water in the tank and cut the nitrites with the Spring water. You should not have to do this for long and it will be worth it I hope to get LB into the heated tank and get started medicating him. I would use about 2 gallons with a water change and then about half of what ever you replace with the other water changes should be Spring water. This will only be until the cycle completes.

I would try to test the tap water with nothing in it to see if by chance your water has Natural Nitrites in it that may be present and need dealing with. If so you may have to change the conditioner you use in the water when the cycle is complete. Amquel+ removes nitrites, nitrates and ammonia from the water.

Rose

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

I thought of that earlier, so I tested the tap water. It was 0 for nitrites. I will try the Spring water tomorrow. I also changed water conditioners. I ran out of the one I was using, so I switched to Stress Coat. I put 3 drops of ammonia in the tank because it was at 0 all day and I did not want to lose what little bit of cycle I had. The ammonia should be down to 0 in the morning again, so I will test for nitrites again and maybe do another water change before I leave for work.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

If you are feeding with ammonia, just be sure to do a major water change before putting LB in the tank even if the ammonia is at 0. The residual needs to be removed just in case there is some.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Also make sure to test the nitrates in the tank. It could be that the nitrates have gotten extremely high due to all the ammonia you have added to the tank. If that is the case you will need to do a big enough water change to get the nitrates at least down to 20 but preferably much lower before you put in the Betta.

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

I tested the water this morning. The nitrites are still at 2.0. I will test them again when I get home. If they haven't come down, I will do another 50% water change. I will be picking up a couple of gallons of spring water today on my way home from work. I don't know if it will help, but I need more jugs anyway.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score

I wish you and LB the best getting a handle on the fin rot, heatmisr.  It seems the sooner you can treat the problem, the better.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Heatmisr- I wish you and LB all the luck you can get for this. Natalie

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

Thanks Mike and Natalie. Hopefully I can get the situation under control before it gets too bad. I will keep you all posted.

Nicole

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

There will be NO nitrites and nitrates in the Spring water so it is bound to come down. You man just have to use the Spring water until he has been treated for the hole in his fin. I wish I did not have to tell people to go spend money but that is all I know that might help at this point.

The water change could even be the full two gallons.

Please let us know how things are going. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Rose

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

I started him out on Spring water when I first got him. When I switched to the tap water, he wasn't happy, but he adjusted. I have been changing 2-2 1/2 gallons everytime I changed the water in the tank. That is why I need more jugs. I only have 2, but I always end up having to make more water to fill it up. I know the tap water has nitrates and ammonia, but no nitrites. Since I switched to the Stress coat, I will test the treated water to see what the parameters look like now.

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

Well, I did another 75% water change when I got home. Used 2 gallons of spring water and 1 gallon of treated tap. Got the nitrites down to .5, so I put LB in. He acclimated to the water pretty quickly and was anxious to explore. (He kept trying to bite his way out of the bag I was floating him in...) He was having a bit of a time geting arround (fighting the current), but he's gotten a bit better. I ended up tying a knot in the tubing for the air stone to slow it down a bit. Now he likes to bubble dive. He swims straight down into the bubble stream and then lets the bubbles push him back up to the top of the tank... I bumped the temp up to 82. I checked the nitrites this morning and they are hovering close to 1.0. When I get home this evening, I will do a 50% water change and then start the Maracyn 2 treatment.

Just a side note: I recently switched from the Top Fin water conditioner to Stress coat. When I tested the parameters of the water treated with the Top Fin I got these results:

ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
pH- 7.0

I tested the parameters of the water treated with the stress coat last night and got these results:

ammonia- .25
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
pH- 7.6

The parameters of my untreated tap water are:

ammonia- .25
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 10
pH- 7.6

It seems as though the stess coat has no effect on the ammonia or pH of the water. I was surprised by that. I believe I will be switching back to the Top Fin conditioner since it reduces the ammonia and stablizes the pH. Never thought the store brand would work better than the name brand.

Nicole

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

You want to use the Stress Coat until the cycle is complete as the Top Fin is keeping the cycle from moving forward if it is keeping the ammonia down. The ammonia at 0.25 will not hurt the fish and will allow the cycle to go forward, but to artificially remove it is not good.

Sorry but you need to go to the conditioner that does not change the readings.

Rose

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score

I did another 50% water change this evening.  The nitrites came down a bit.  I also started him on the Maracyn 2.  I was going to post a pic, but the batteries on my digital camera are dead.  He seems to be doing ok in the tank.  I slowed the bubbles from the air stone down some more so he wouldn't be riding the wave too often. (although I think he likes it.. )  He seems to be content right now.  Hasn't missed a meal...lol.  I will keep you posted on his progress.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom