UPDATE: LB has a hole in his analfin

heatmisr

Well, LB's tank still isn't cycled and I really need to medicate him for his fin rot.  He was a little scraggly and medicating him in the vase has not been working.  This morning I when I checked on him, he had a hole.  So now I am thinking that I need to get him out of the vase and into the tank where I can control the temp.  I have been doing 50% water changes on the vase, but lying on the marbles has caused his fin rot, I'm sure.  The tank is cycling the ammonia, but the nitrites have stayed at 2.0.  I have done 2 50% water changes on the tank and it is still at 2.0.  Any suggestions?  I know I need to medicate him, but it is not working in the vase and it is very hard to determine the proper dosage.

cherryrose

Re: LB has a hole in his analfin

Oh dear! I am so sorry about the hole in his fin. Poor LB really needs some help fast. I know you are doing all you can and someone is sure to come on here soon that can tell you what else to do. I know that you can't put LB in the tank as long as you are using ammonia to cycle it. My heart goes out to you and LB.

CherryRose

chickadee

Try doing another 50% water change and then wait about 4 hours to test the water as it takes a while after a water change to get an accurate reading. If it is 1.0 or below then go ahead and move him and turn the temperature up to 82 slowly. I would put him in a baggie in some of his vase water and float him for 30 minutes since he is going from unheated water to heated water. The shock will not be as great for him this way and he will love the heated water, I can promise you.

He may get by with some Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies if the hole is a pin hole type, but if it is larger, he is probably going to need Maracyn2.

Please do keep us informed of his progress and you will need to keep close eyes on the testing so the water is not getting out of hand. Let us know if you need help.

We will say a prayer for you and him.

Rose

heatmisr

OK, thanks, Rose. I will do another change and wait a bit. I didn't wait 4 hours between the first 2, only about 2 hours. I have some Maracyn 2, so I will use that. The hole is bigger than a pin hole. What surprised me was the fact that it appeared overnight. The ammonia is at 0 right now, cherryrose. I didn't feed the tank this morning because I saw the hole and realized I might have to move him. His vase water is 78, so hopefully he won't get too much of a temp shock. I have been testing twice a day, in the morning before work and again around 8pm to monitor the nitrites, so I won't have a problem keeping up with the testing and water changes.

I'll let you know how he does.

cherryrose

That sounds like a wonderful plan. It sounds like you have been keeping right on top of the testing and water quality. And Rose always seems to know just what to do. Good luck!

CherryRose

heatmisr

Well I did a 75% water change about 4 1/2 hours ago and the nitrites are still at 2.0. I am at a loss. After 3 water changes, I have no idea why the nitrites have not come down.

0morrokh

Try testing your tap water. Could be you have high nitrites in your water. If that is the case you can use part tap water, part store-bought spring water. Rose or someone else will have to tell you how much to use since I have never used spring water.

chickadee

That is a good idea. You may want to just temporarily get Spring water for half of the water in the tank and cut the nitrites with the Spring water. You should not have to do this for long and it will be worth it I hope to get LB into the heated tank and get started medicating him. I would use about 2 gallons with a water change and then about half of what ever you replace with the other water changes should be Spring water. This will only be until the cycle completes.

I would try to test the tap water with nothing in it to see if by chance your water has Natural Nitrites in it that may be present and need dealing with. If so you may have to change the conditioner you use in the water when the cycle is complete. Amquel+ removes nitrites, nitrates and ammonia from the water.

Rose

heatmisr

I thought of that earlier, so I tested the tap water. It was 0 for nitrites. I will try the Spring water tomorrow. I also changed water conditioners. I ran out of the one I was using, so I switched to Stress Coat. I put 3 drops of ammonia in the tank because it was at 0 all day and I did not want to lose what little bit of cycle I had. The ammonia should be down to 0 in the morning again, so I will test for nitrites again and maybe do another water change before I leave for work.

chickadee

If you are feeding with ammonia, just be sure to do a major water change before putting LB in the tank even if the ammonia is at 0. The residual needs to be removed just in case there is some.

Rose

0morrokh

Also make sure to test the nitrates in the tank. It could be that the nitrates have gotten extremely high due to all the ammonia you have added to the tank. If that is the case you will need to do a big enough water change to get the nitrates at least down to 20 but preferably much lower before you put in the Betta.

heatmisr

I tested the water this morning. The nitrites are still at 2.0. I will test them again when I get home. If they haven't come down, I will do another 50% water change. I will be picking up a couple of gallons of spring water today on my way home from work. I don't know if it will help, but I need more jugs anyway.

LZ Floyd

I wish you and LB the best getting a handle on the fin rot, heatmisr.  It seems the sooner you can treat the problem, the better.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Heatmisr- I wish you and LB all the luck you can get for this. Natalie

heatmisr

Thanks Mike and Natalie. Hopefully I can get the situation under control before it gets too bad. I will keep you all posted.

Nicole

chickadee

There will be NO nitrites and nitrates in the Spring water so it is bound to come down. You man just have to use the Spring water until he has been treated for the hole in his fin. I wish I did not have to tell people to go spend money but that is all I know that might help at this point.

The water change could even be the full two gallons.

Please let us know how things are going. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Rose

heatmisr

I started him out on Spring water when I first got him. When I switched to the tap water, he wasn't happy, but he adjusted. I have been changing 2-2 1/2 gallons every time I changed the water in the tank. That is why I need more jugs. I only have 2, but I always end up having to make more water to fill it up. I know the tap water has nitrates and ammonia, but no nitrites. Since I switched to the Stress coat, I will test the treated water to see what the parameters look like now.

heatmisr

Well, I did another 75% water change when I got home. Used 2 gallons of spring water and 1 gallon of treated tap. Got the nitrites down to .5, so I put LB in. He acclimated to the water pretty quickly and was anxious to explore. (He kept trying to bite his way out of the bag I was floating him in...) He was having a bit of a time getting arround (fighting the current), but he's gotten a bit better. I ended up tying a knot in the tubing for the air stone to slow it down a bit. Now he likes to bubble dive. He swims straight down into the bubble stream and then lets the bubbles push him back up to the top of the tank... I bumped the temp up to 82. I checked the nitrites this morning and they are hovering close to 1.0. When I get home this evening, I will do a 50% water change and then start the Maracyn 2 treatment.

Just a side note: I recently switched from the Top Fin water conditioner to Stress coat. When I tested the parameters of the water treated with the Top Fin I got these results:

ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
pH- 7.0

I tested the parameters of the water treated with the stress coat last night and got these results:

ammonia- .25
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 5
pH- 7.6

The parameters of my untreated tap water are:

ammonia- .25
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 10
pH- 7.6

It seems as though the stess coat has no effect on the ammonia or pH of the water. I was surprised by that. I believe I will be switching back to the Top Fin conditioner since it reduces the ammonia and stablizes the pH. Never thought the store brand would work better than the name brand.

Nicole

chickadee

You want to use the Stress Coat until the cycle is complete as the Top Fin is keeping the cycle from moving forward if it is keeping the ammonia down. The ammonia at 0.25 will not hurt the fish and will allow the cycle to go forward, but to artificially remove it is not good.

Sorry but you need to go to the conditioner that does not change the readings.

Rose

heatmisr

I did another 50% water change this evening.  The nitrites came down a bit.  I also started him on the Maracyn 2.  I was going to post a pic, but the batteries on my digital camera are dead.  He seems to be doing ok in the tank.  I slowed the bubbles from the air stone down some more so he wouldn't be riding the wave too often. (although I think he likes it.. )  He seems to be content right now.  Hasn't missed a meal...lol.  I will keep you posted on his progress.

LZ Floyd

Hope things are good so far with LB.

Saw your post on the GB thread and came over here to pass along what I've been doing as far as dosing GB's tank with Maracyn 2.

First, I want to pass along an alternative method for you to decide which route you want to go.  This alternative method is, IMHO, a dosing schedule that could lead to ODing LB.  And, it was what led to some calculations I submitted a while back for review, but never used.  It seems that antibiotics in liquid form deteriorate at a fairly rapid clip.  The alternative method seems to bank on the idea that Maracyn 2 is more stable than I've come to believe it to be.  This is the site and method for your perusal:

The dosing formula I'm using for GB wrt the Maracyn 2 is based on him being in a 3-gallon Kritter tank, which is getting a water change of 1 gallon a day.  I can't recall what size your tank is; if your tank size is different, the dosage measures will not be the same.  But the method of calculating it will.

First, I dissolve a tab of Maracyn 2 (could also just crush it) in 10 ounces of dechlorinated water (some use ten tablespoons or 10 teaspoons) when needed.  Just dissolving the tab takes a bit over an hour.  And this is the dosing schedule I used:

Day 1:  Load the 3-gallon Kritter tank with 6 ounces of the Maracyn 2 solution.  (If you have a 5-gallon, just throw in one tab.)
Day 2:  Do a 1/3 (one gallon) water change and add 4 ounces of the Maracyn 2 solution (3 ounces is the called-for dose + 1 ounce to replace the amount removed with the water change) to the tank.  (If you are using a 5 gallon tank, use 5 ounces of the solution, or 1/2 tab, for the called-for dose and add 1 ounce of the solution for each gallon of water replaced.)

Day 3, Day 4, and Day 5:  Repeat Day 2.

After reviewing the above, I see that the Day 2 dose is off by an ounce for Day 2.  I'm not sure how much 1/10 of a tab's difference would make in the grand scheme of things, but, if you want to make the adjustment for Day 2, you can make that dose for the replacement water double what I used.  After that (Day 3, 4, and 5) will be about an ounce per gallon of replacement water.

One thing I can say, if you can forgo a water change, do it as it will be easier on the dosing measures for each avoided water change.

Good luck,

Mike

heatmisr

Thanks Mike. I have a 5g, so it is easier to measure out. I believe I got the formula right based on what you posted. My Maracyn 2 is in powder form. The first dose was 2 packets for 10g, so I just dissolved 1 packet in 10oz of water and gave him that. The second day - fifth day dose is 1 packet per 10g, so that would be 5oz. I did a 3 gallon water change, so I added another 3 oz for a total of 8oz today. If I just keep thinking 1oz per gallon, I should be ok.

Nicole

LZ Floyd

The last time I treated GB was with the Jungle Labs and it was in his 5-gallon tank.  The last three days of that treatment, I did not change any water as nothing from the tests suggested a water change.  That treatment went without incident.

GB went into the Kritter tank for the second Maracyn 2 treatment so that his 5-gallon could be cleaned out to rid it of anything that might have been perpetuating his fin rot (possible contaminated gravel with sharp stones, silk plants with serrated edges).  But, as you know, the smaller the uncycled tank, the more need for water changes, which makes the Maracyn 2 dosing of the tank hard to calculate and administer.  Not only are there a lot of steps to follow in the process of dosing the replacement water for the smaller uncycled tank, with each water change comes the increased risk for error.  Complicating this further is that the dosing schedule I'm using is nothing more than a best guess based on info from a number of sources.  There is nothing out by Mardel, that I know of, that describes the Maracyn/Maracyn 2 dosing process when water changes are necessary; they primarily tell you to skip water changes for the 5-day treatment.

I'm considering putting GB back into the now-clean 5 gallon for his next treatment course because I can get by with fewer water changes.  I'm also thinking that, if I use Amquel+ as a conditioner (neutralizes ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, as well as chlorine, chloramine and metals), I may be able to get through the whole next treatment course with no water changes.  (Note: If you are trying to cycle your tank, Amquel+ will slow that process as the tank needs ammonia for the "good" bacteria to populate.)

Consequently, I suggest that, if you do not have to change any water, don't do a water change.  I also think that, if you can cut LB's meals down to 80% of the norm, that may help give you an extra day free of a water change somewhere in this process.  And, I definitely would avoid pea-treats until LB's treatment course is finished.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

heatmisr

I tested his water last night and this morning. The nitrites were down to 0.5. I am going to forgo the water change today and see how things go. I can't use Amquel+ yet because his tank has not completely cycled. I have been waiting for the nitrites to break. Hopefully it will not take much longer to complete the cycle. Thanks for the warning about the pea treats. I was going to give him one today.

Did GB's tank ever get cycled or are you going to use Bio-spira? If you are going to use the Bio-spira, you aren't supposed to do a water change for 7 days, so it might be better just to go ahead and put him in the tank for the next meds cycle .

As always, your info has been very helpful.

Nicole

LZ Floyd

GB's tank still isn't cycled (for the reason you pointed out - no water changes for seven days).

How's LB doing?

Mike

heatmisr

LB is doing better. Thanks for asking. I was able to complete his treatment without having to do another water change. His fins still look a bit scraggly, but the hole in his analfin is gone. I am debating whether I want to start another round of meds. It is almost time to change the carbon filter and his water parameters have gotten a bit weird. Since the last water change, the nitrites have gone up to 1.0 and the nitrates have come down to 5. I don't understand why the nitrates went down from 10 to 5 and the nitrites went up. I am going to do another water change this evening when I get home.

Nicole

nmwierman1977

It's probably because of the medication. You haven't been able to do any water changes, nor can you have the carbon in there while the med is in there so that's why you have spikes. That's to be expected sometimes. I'm glad that LB's fin is doing better. As long as LB doesn't have any more fin rot you shouldn't have to do another dose. Has it begun to heal yet? Just curious. If not it will. It takes time. Just keep an eye on it and keep the water as clean as you can and replace the carbon. If it starts to come back then do another dose of the med. What is the temp of your water?It should be 82 for finrot and so it can regenerate properly. Natalie

heatmisr

I actually left the carbon filter in. The instructions that came with the Maracyn 2 said to leave it in if it had been in over 7 days. LB looks to be getting some new growth in some places. Some of the others still look a little scraggly. His water temp is set to 82. I was going to change his filter. It has been in about a month now. Funny, I was just reading the Marineland manual and it said to remove the bio-wheel if using antibiotics because they will kill the baterial cultures on the bio-wheel. So now I am really confused. If you remove the carbon filter and the bio-wheel, what is left to filter the water?

Nicole

LZ Floyd

The Maracyn 2 (and I think the Maracyn, as well) do say it's okay to leave the carbon filter if it's over 7 days old.  Other sources I've seen say the carbon filter only lasts 6 days.  Despite that, it has been recommended here to remove such a filter to be sure the filter doesn't interfere with the meds.  Whether leaving your filter in interfered with the dosages in the tank, IDK.  If LB is getting better, it seems the filter did not stop the meds from working.

Mardel also claims that it's products do not neutralize the good bacteria in the tank.  It doesn't say anything that I've seen about using their products in a tank you're presently cycling, though.  As far as Marineland's suggestion to pull the bio-wheel during medication times seems to me to be focused on those meds that do clear the tank of all bacteria (there are some meds that will, I guess).  In that case, the suggestion would make sense to pull the bio-wheel.  But where would you put the thing to keep the good bacteria on it from dying out anyhow?

It could be that the meds used took out some of the good culture you had going and the weird numbers you were seeing a post ago indicate a mini-cycle is going on.  Is that possible?

Mike

heatmisr

Of all the crazy things, the manual said to keep the bio-wheel dry to preserve the cultures until the med cycle is completed. Didn't make sense to me, but then again, I am new this game.

I don't know it the meds affected it or not. The cycle still hasn't completed because the nitrites do not come down on their own. I have only been able to get them down doing massive water changes. The nitrates fluctuate between 5 & 10. I don't test for them as often because the nitrites remain high. I did a big water change last night. I will check the parameters when I get home tonight to see how they look.

chickadee

In my experience it is never a good idea to remove the bio-wheel as it only takes 30 minutes for the bacteria to die and then you have to recycle anyway. There are not that many really bad antibiotics that kill all the bacteria and there are others that can be found that do not. So it is always advisable to find one of these and leave the bio-wheel in place or you will be recycling from scratch anyway. There is no safe way to store a removed bio-wheel.

Rose

This is important...

heatmisr

I thought it was odd when I read it. It is scary when the information you receive from the manufacturer is inaccurate. I didn't think there was any way for the cultures to remain alive if they weren't in the water.

Thanks for the clarification, Rose.

Nicole

heatmisr

Well, I got home yesterday and LB's fins looked like he stuck them in a socket. They were all shorter, ragged and some were white-tipped. He looks pretty raggedy. He, however, is still in good spirits. He doesn't miss a meal and does his betta dance for me on a reguar basis. I did an 80% water change and started him on the Maracyn 2 again. I will stop by petsmart today and pick up another package of Maracyn 2 and some Maracyn. I am going to start him on the Maracyn tonight, as well.

LZ Floyd

Not good to hear, heatmisr.  I think we've messed around with the Maracyn 2-only treatments for GB too long ourselves.  He's on the Maracyns' combo right now and we're preparing for the next step to take if the combo doesn't work.  Currently, that looks to be trisulfa.

It's bad too that you're cycling the tank and have to weigh doing a water change for the cycle or forgo one for the sake of keeping the dosage as accurate as possible.  GB is in a 3 gal uncycled Kritter Keeper that gets a 1 gal water change a day.  At least that seems to be about the best compromise I can come up.  All we have to worry about is replacing 1/10 of a tab per day with the water change.

Good luck to you and LB.

Mike

heatmisr

Thanks, Mike.

I actually decided to do the combo treatment based on how GB's progress has been. Hopefully I can get this finrot to stop this time. Having to do the water changes does make things more problematic and I have to do large changes because the nitrites are so bad and go up so quickly. I have been replacing 3-3 1/2 g of water for every change. Sometimes, the nitrite readings don't change at all, which is something I don't understand. Last night, the nitrites were at 2.0. I did the water change and they went down to 0.5. Guaranteed when I get home tonight they will be back up to 1.0. If I do a water change, they will still be at 1.0. Then the next day, they will be back up to 2.0 again. The ammonia usually stays at 0. Nitrates are always between 5 and 10. I don't know why it is taking so long for the tank to cycle. I broke down and did a gravel vac last night. I know that will slow the process down some more, but it definitely needed to be done. I know these nitrites are probably contributing to his finrot, but I don't know what else I can do besides these large water changes and another round of meds. Not to mention the large water changes mean I am going through a lot more meds than I normally would have to.

Nicole

LZ Floyd

Nicole, have you considered putting LB in a hospital tank to do his treatments?  GB is in a 3-gallon uncycled Kritter Keeper with nothing but a 25-Watt Stealth heater and a sponge filter.  I change a gallon of his water a day and his water parameters are consistently zero across the board.  I use 4/10 of a tab for each of the Maracyns per day (3/10 of a tab is the required dose and 1/10 of a tab is for offsetting that lost in the water change).

Doing this would allow you to: take control of the cycle in the 5-gallon (right now it's controlling you); hold the water parameters low and constant in the hospital tank LB goes into;  use less medication overall;  and, stick closer to the dosages as they're recommended.  I know it would mean spending money, but some of that would be offset by not using as much medication/dechlorinater.  Overall, it would give you the hospital tank you've always dreamed of having.

Mike

heatmisr

That is something I have started to consider.  It seems crazy to have a hosp tank when I only own 1 fish, but I have also considered that the decorations in the 5 gallon may be more of hinderance right now.  I also expected the tank to finish cycling within a week, but that hasn't happened.  I have been getting high nitrite readings for about 3 weeks now.  Everything I read said they usually start converting to nitrates in about 2.  I really am not too concerned about the money, just getting LB back to normal. Since I already started this cycle, I will finish it out in the 5g.  If I don't see enough improvement, I will go to the hosp tank. 

Nicole

heatmisr

Well, it has been a while, so I thought I would dust this off and give an update on LB.

The Maracyn/Maracyn2 success is still debatable. Although some fins have healed, others have gone south. He developed a split in his caudal fin. That has started to heal, but the top of the caudal fin is now getting shorter. Also, his dorsal fin seems to be doing a back and forth also. It went from black edges, to white edges to black edges. I think it is time to pull out the big guns.

Also, I did not do a water change for the last 2 days of his treatment. I tested the nitrites and they were at 0.5. The next day, they were the same. I tested the next day and the nitrites were at 0. I thought, "hooray, the tank is cycled!" Well, I tested the nitrates and they were 0 also??? I got the same results when I tested the water yesterday. Ammonia reading has stayed at 0. So now I am totally confused. The tank can't be cycled if I have a 0 nitrate reading also.

Regardless, I will be starting LB on another round of meds this weekend.

LZ Floyd

Hey Nicole,

Our M1/M2 success was debatable, too. Once GB came off the stuff, the rot came back with a vengeance. I wonder which big guns you're going to try???

As far as the cycle, one chart I've seen suggests there's a lag between the two bacterias building to a point where they're effective on the ammo and the nitrites before they start showing it with increased numbers of nitrites and nitrates.

Anyway, good luck with this round of treatment.

Mike

heatmisr

Hey Mike,

I am using the Penicillin for LB.  He seems to be doing better.  The parts of his fins that looked questionable are gone and they do not look to be getting any shorter.  He actually gave me a full-blown-gill flare yesterday.  That was the first time I've ever seen him expand his gills.  He usually just stiffens his fins.  He also seems to have developed an interest in being sucked up by the gravel vac.  When I first started using it, he would take off the minute the thing hit the water.  Now he swims right under it if I am not paying attention and then spends all his time attacking my fingernails...lol.  At least he doesn't know that he is sick.

I hope GB has decided he has better things to eat besides his fins.....

Nicole

LZ Floyd

Good to hear the penicillin is helping.  As long as LB doesn't try to escape through the gravel vac, you should end up with a successful treatment under your belt.

Never saw LB flare his gills before, huh?  Depending on his frame of mind, GB will show off his fins.  But he'll flare at me if I sneak up on him and have a baseball cap or a white shirt on.  Then he'll go back to doing whatever it is he does when he determines I'm not lunch, nor a threat.

As for GB and his fin rot, he still has it, and today is Day 5 of his penicillin treatment.  I plan to discontinue the penicillin treatment tomorrow and get into research mode to see what to do next.  I have Furan 2, but have already tried JL Fungus Clear, which has two of the three meds found in the Furan 2, and which didn't appear to do the job.  His tank is clean (40% water changes daily), the temp is at 84 degrees, there are two filters running (the Hex 5 built-in and a sponge filter, which also aerates), there are no dangerous decorations to cause injury, and no gravel to drag his fins across.  It's really baffling.  I guess as long as he has some fins there's still time to find the cure.

Keep up whatever it is you're doing Nicole, it seems to be working.

Mike

chickadee

Mike,

Have you tried to use Bottled Spring water in your tank? Some experts say that it is a problem with the chemicals and pH of the tap water and I wonder if you used a tank of Bottled Spring water that has none of that to see if it would make a difference....?? Then maybe you could kind of wean him into the use of the tap water gently when the tank is cycled and hopefully he could adjust.

I am just throwing out a possibility. This is the only safe way that I know of to change the water chemistry without fluctuations that would damage him. I had to do it for a while when the tap water here became unusable due to agricultural chemicals. (nitrates) but I have heard of it being used for other parameters being out of whack also.

Rose
???

LZ Floyd

Don't mean to HJ Nicole's thread, so I'll take the GB discussion back to <a href=" back in the Hex 5</a>.

Mike

heatmisr

That's ok. We all do it at one time or another. Especially when everyone's fish seem to be suffering from the same things.

Nicole

heatmisr

Well after a 10 day round of penicillin, I have decided to give LB a break. There was some new breakage on his fins around day 4, but they are looking much better now. I will monitor him over the next few days to see how he does. I will have to continue with the daily water changes because all the meds knocked out what little bit of cycle I had going. Hopefully, it will not take long for the tank to finish cycling.

I also think I may have found out part of LB's problem. I couldn't figure out why his fins would be ok in the morning when I left for work and be tattered when I got home in the evening. Well, tonight, I caught him. I walked up to the tank to prepare to do the last water change and add the carbon filter back in. I looked in and saw LB plastered up against the intake tube of the filter! All of his fins were wrapped around it. In a panic, thinking he was stuck, I geared up to stick my hand in there to "free" him. Lo and behold, he saw me standing there and disengaged himself, swam right over and gave me his betta dance. He looked pretty content plastered up against that tube and I suspect he has been doing this for a while. He kind of looked guilty when he saw me looking at him. That would explain his lack of fins when I get home.

I tell you, this little fish is going to be the death of me...LOL.

Phloxface

;D
They do the craziest things don't they?  He probably found that the little bit of suction kept him from having to try to balance himself and being the laid back creatures they are, he found it a nice place to nap. Lava's tail is looking ragged too and I have found him wrapped around the filter intake tube too. It isn't that they are stuck... they can get away well enough but it tears up their fins and they don't feel it. Probably putting a piece of nylon would help keep his tail from getting sucked up into the tube.

Lava nearly gave me a heart attack this morning too.  I went to wake him and found him lying upside down with his body curved around and his face in the gravel under his bridge. I thought he was dead! I turned on the light and gently knocked on the tank and he woke up, hid deeper under the bridge and peeked out from the side with one eye at me. I could swear he was thinking "Hey! What's the big idea? Turn off that light and let me sleep!"  He came out after a few minutes and was back to normal. 

LZ Floyd

That might explain the loss of LB's tail feathers.  Hard to experiment with that, though.  Seems these Bettas of ours are always up to something, huh?

Mike

chickadee

Blaze did that the other morning too. I was so afraid he was gone and he just wiggled right off the thing. He was the one with finrot for me and just got over it. Now I have Nate with it. I looked at him this morning when I fed him and he was fine and by 9:00 am his dorsal fins were tattered.

The whole tank is getting Furan-2.

I think too the nylon idea is great.

Yes, what they do not find to do is probably not worth doing...the little stinkers.

Rose

cherryrose

BenjI is also being medicated for finrot at this time. I wonder if he is doing the same thing and I just haven't caught him yet? They are definitely little stinkers that llike to make us worry.

CherryRose

heatmisr

Yes, they are always up to something.  They are like mischievous little kids, but that is why we love them.  The little things they do are both amusing and vexing...sigh.  Sometimes I wish I could set up a camera to see what he is up to when I am not home.  I have caught him bubble-diving a few times, too.  I turned the air stone back up because I cranked up the temp in his tank and I suspected he liked it.  Every now and then he will swim straight down into the column of bubbles and then "ride the wave" back to the top.  If the lid is ever open when he does that, I am sure I will see a flying fish....LOL.

Nicole

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom