Update: decisions 75 Gallon Tank

1. R

Reel lady fishing Valued Member Member

Ok, so recently I got the 75 gallon aquarium and stand. I did have a 180 gallon spare from an old saltwater tank that I got rid of but I didn't want to cross those two waters. As I was saying, 75 with the stand. I'm getting 2 hang on the back filters that each filter 70g and a 300 watt heater. In my last thread I mentioned cichlids and I didn't know what the I was getting into. I watched almost all of his cichlid videos and from there I put together a list accordingly. My local store sells assorted African cichlids at 1.5 inches and I would be getting 15 of those. I would additionally get 2 venustas, (because they get 10 inches), 3 yellow labs, 2 peacock, and 2 additional ones. As for catfish, I am going to get a striped and a spotted Raphael along with 2 banjos and a hoplo cat. Now, I know about the bio load and all that but along with the 2 filters, I am prepared to do water changes twice every week. And believe me I know maintenance, I have dealt with saltwater tanks for 13 years. Oh yeah, also forgot to mention that I have a lot of hiding spaces and a sand substrate. And, yes I know that 2-3 weaker cichlids will get killed off and I am putting them in 5-7 fish at a time when adding them in. Just warned to update you guys and I am open to making/adjusting plans so, if anything sounds off just comment and I will make designs accordingly. Thanks!!!!!

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You shouldn't mix the peacocks and the mbunas. They have different diet requirements.
    Other than that, not sure..... LeoDiaz can help.

3. Aloeb1

Aloeb1 Valued Member Member

It is not good to just get some "assorted african cichlids" because you never know exactly what you are getting. You want to know exactly what type of cichlid you are getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. VAFish

VAFish Valued Member Member

I've always wondered why there is an "assorted cichlids tank" at most stores. What makes them part of that group and not sold separately like all the others?

5. OP
    OP
    R

Well, some argue that you can't keep them together but as long as u have a size difference between the Mbunas and the peacocks your fine. And I'm interested, I thought they ate all the same cichlid pellets... what are those diet variations?

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Mbuna are herbivores while peacocks are carnivores.

7. Chris99

Chris99 Well Known Member Member

These are sometimes the one or two left over from a group. Often times though they may be hybrids and no one knows exactly what they are.

8. LeoDiaz

LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Anders247 thanx for the mention didnt see till now for some reason. Okay now for Reel lady fishing. First dont get assorted there mostly hybrids or the extra really agressive mbunas. The venestus wont work how do u want to put a fish that can get as big as foot in a 75? So the venestus are out of the picture. No mixing peacocks and mbunas no matter what you read mbunas can make peacock life . The raphael cat,banjos and the hoplo wont work either there south american and requiere a different water conditions. Looks like you have to rethink everything. For mbunas you want a total of 21, with 3 different species in a ratio of 1male to 6females for each species. And for the catfish look into synodontis catfish. This time dont ignore me when i say to not mix mbunas and peacocks.

9. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

I completely agree with above posts. I have kept Africans for a few years now, and still find out that keeping mbuna with haps/peacocks in the long run don't work. I've tried it at the cost of many fish and very sad days of seeing them tear into my mbuna. Do not! Mix the two! Aggression is just one reason! They have completely different diets as well.

If your looking to add a catfish with your Africans. Look into some synodontis catfish, they work well with Africans.

10. LeoDiaz

Mbunas are herbivore(not all some omnivores) and and need alot of veggies in there diet while peacock need more protein.

11. OP
    OP
    R

Well, I heard they were very hardy fish, I guess not then... But, what types of cichlids DO you reccomend having with the 2 Raphael's, hoplo, and 2-3 banjos? How about 26 of the assorted so they are all together? Or 6 peacocks and 14 haps and 7 yellow labs? I kind of want cichlids that will constantly breed and are easy to that go with my catfish... What would you reccomend? Or, can zinger my bottom feeders and a teacup stingray and 9 peacocks?

12. LeoDiaz

Do do remember you have a 75 gallon tank not a 150 you want to stuff full of fish, if you want south american catfish you get south american cichlids. Anders247 recommend her some SA cichlids.

13. OP
    OP
    R

Him*

14. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Some blue acaras might work. They are hardier than German blue Rams and bigger so they'd do well in a 75g.

15. LeoDiaz

My bad him. If you want african cichlid you cant have the catfish you want.

16. Dom90

Blue acaras are SA cichlids that grow to around 5".

17. LeoDiaz

Ik im just telling him that he cant have africans with the catfish he wants.

18. OP
    OP
    R

Y cant I have like 5 catfish and haps and peacocks? Or just assorteds with these cats, they require about the same temp?

like the assorted Africans. Why can't i?

19. Dom90

They require different pH ranges...

20. LeoDiaz

Cause there africans cichlids that come from different waters then the catfish u want. Also "assorted" african dont like to play nice with anything that not african. I wont be suprise if they beat up ur catfish if you get them. Lets make this easy you want to SA catfish you get SA cichlids. If you want to have african cichlids u dont get those catfish u want. Simple as that. Look like you really want african cichlid just dont get the catfish then.