[update] Cardinal Tetra - Multiple Diseases?

GDK

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hopefully someone can help me with this issue that seems to be getting worse...

It started off with 2 cardinal showing different symptoms and then slowly over a period of about a month or two after I bought them, another 3 are presenting other symptoms now.

Tank Details
We've had this tank for AGES but have just "revived" the tank early this year.
- 200 Litres
- 20-30% water change every week
- Tank mates: Lots of Guppies, 1x Sucking catfish, 2x dwarf gouramis and 15x cardinals

Test Results
- PH: 7.1
- GH: 100
- KH: 100
- Nitrates: 10-20
- Ammonia/Nitrites: 0

Cardinal 1: Right eye bulging with cloudy membrane over it.
Not noticing much of a change since first encounter. Moved to quarantine tank.
Low appetite (i think)
Treated with tetracycline and protozin to no effect.
cardinal_eyebulge.PNG

Cardinal 2: Right fin has a white puff stuck on it.
Seems to have worsened slightly. Moved to quarantine tank.
Treated with tetracycline and protozin to no effect.
cardinal_whitefin.PNG

Cardinal 3: Scales look patchy as if they've fallen off.
Could be fighting with other cardinals but no other cardinals have this so I'm not sure.
carnidal_disease2.PNG

carnidal_disease3.PNG carnidal_disease.PNG

Cardinal 4: Spine is a bit bent (from the beginning). Doesn't seem to be getting worse but that white line on the tail was noticed just last night. Any Ideas?
cardinal_bent2.PNG

Cardinal 5: Newest symptom noticed last night with a subtle white dot on one of the eyes.
(no photo)

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cardinal 1 could have Popeye? If cardinal 4 is the biggest than that’s normal. My larger neons have that sort of look to them, it’s just how they grow. If he’s the same size as the others, you might want to worry about it.

GDK

Reaction score
It seems with cardinal 4,the white line was potentially a parasite of some sort. It had grown a little bit more or move and its head started poking out more above the tail. Removed it but it was completely motionless (not sure if the tweezers killed it). Still have no idea what it could be but now I think a different cardinal has one on its analfin.....

...can't seem to catch a break :S

GDK

Reaction score
Adrian Burke said:
Have any passed away or exhibited new symptoms?
None have died but none of the symptoms have gotten noticeably better either.

GDK

Reaction score
smee82 said:
The white puff sounds like columnaris however its spelt. The rest sound more like parasites
Any parasites in particular?

I've been doing quite a bit of parasite research and I can't seem to find a fit that best describes what my fish has.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GDK said:
Any parasites in particular?

I've been doing quite a bit of parasite research and I can't seem to find a fit that best describes what my fish has.
Nothing in particular but its what id treat for.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you see little white "worms" in the affected places. Somehow it looks a bit like Dermosporidia

GDK

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
Do you see little white "worms" in the affected places. Somehow it looks a bit like Dermosporidia
The worms seem to be attached very shallow in or on the scales. No real wound in the immediate area of attachment as such.

With much more thorough inspection of all my cardinal tetras, ive come across more cases with this "worm/parasite" but they are in a very early stage.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GDK said:
The worms seem to be attached very shallow in or on the scales. No real wound in the immediate area of attachment as such.

With much more thorough inspection of all my cardinal tetras, ive come across more cases with this "worm/parasite" but they are in a very early stage.
But you do see white wormish things in the "blisters" ?

GDK

Reaction score
Ended up putting this guy out of his misery as he was struggling quite a bit. These worm things are on some of the other cardinals but don't seem to as affected by them. Still have no idea what they are but here are some clearer shots to what was/is happening....
IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

GDK

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
I think I see dermosporidia on this one !
Sorry you had to do this.
Yeah, you mentioned it earlier and I wasn't 100% convinced at the time (I am now) and it's extremely difficulty to find sufficient info about it. If you know any more information about this, please let me know.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GDK said:
Yeah, you mentioned it earlier and I wasn't 100% convinced at the time (I am now) and it's extremely difficulty to find sufficient info about it. If you know any more information about this, please let me know.
It is a harmless and untreatable infection.
Esthetic it isn't great though.
Fish shouldn't have to be put down, so I think you're right thar there must be another infection as well causing them to go downwards.

GDK

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
It is a harmless and untreatable infection.
Esthetic it isn't great though.
Fish shouldn't have to be put down, so I think you're right thar there must be another infection as well causing them to go downwards.
Is it specific to cardinal tetras? From the limited stuff I've seen, it seems to be the case..

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Carinals and Rummynoses and quite rare another species.
GDK said:
Is it specific to cardinal tetras? From the limited stuff I've seen, it seems to be the case..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom