Update: At A Loss Is This Too Much

1. C

Carnation519 Valued Member Member

hello I'm not sure if this is the right place but here it goes. My tank is still cycling (fish in) I have 3 guppies two are pregnant along with some other fish in a 30 gallon cube style tank with a 70 gallon filter. I added an air stone to help with oxygen in the tank (non planted at this time). Would this be too much motion/current for the guppies? I can't seem to upload a video for reference.

2. Fisher27

Fisher27 Valued Member Member

If their swimming ok and it doesn't look like their being pushed around it will probably be fine. What other fish do you have? Make sure to keep up the water changes about every day.

3. OP
    OP
    C

I have an adult angel Cory cats and flowfish. They all do very well with each other. Since posting one of my female guppies is mia. She was there and then poof she is hiding quite well. Do they do that if they are going to give birth? She's very pregnant. I can't get the video to post but I did screenshot it so you can hopefully see the surface wave in a few

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    C

First two are without the bubbler last two have it. (I can't wait for this cloudiness to disappear.) just tested water and have 0nitrites 0 nitrates ph is 7-7.5 and I misplaced the bottle to test ammonia

5. Fisher27

Fisher27 Valued Member Member

Well does the tank smell? And yes, they do usually hide when they are pregnant.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Just like a fishtank not foul. I've looked all over and I can't find her anywhere. Lol.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Update I found her. She either going to give birth or she is holding them in and going to die. She stays at the bottom of tank and then her tail fin wiggles fast then stops. Prior to going missing she was 100% normal

8. OP
    OP
    C

I'm at a loss.
    I have found the female that had disappeared. She was presenting all signs that she was laboring (as I've researched to understand the bahavior) I kept checking the tank and watching for her. Saw her in the decoration hiding and still moving. Parameters are still normal ranges of 0/0/7-7.5 nitrate/nitrite/ph (don't have a current ammonia test as the bottle has disappeared??) the tank smells normal and not foul. Water still cloudy but improving. I turned off the bubbler as all fish avoided that area of the tank with it on. Now this is a 30 gallon tank (20*20*18 measurements) with a 70 gallon filter fluval hob. Just checked up on sunny girl and she was dead and stuck to the filter intake. (She wasn't there 10 minutes prior. No signs of illness pineconing or gill issues) still not noticing any fry. Question is should I switch to my 50fluval filer? Could this be too strong for the guppies? I've lost 3 pregnant guppies over the past few weeks with again no signs of illness. Advice is greatly needed. I've had male guppies in the past but never m/f together. I love their personalities and really would like to have more for my tank. Thanks. Just don't know why this is happening to healthy fish.

9. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Your tank is cycling, she probably died from water quality issues and stress. I would recommend trying to find the ammonia test bottles. If you have prime I would use it, cloudiness is usually a bacterial bloom in a newly established tank and should go away by itself.

10. OP
    OP
    C

I'm using prime and stability. Tanks been up and running since end of June or the beginning of July. What would be the idea parameters for a cycled tank for clarification? Tomorrow I'm doing a water change again and vacuuming gravle. Is the hob fluval70 filter ok or is it maybe too strong for the 30 gal cube style tank? Also should I use the bubbler or ditch it completely? I've had tanks before but never had any issues with bacteria blooms etc. I almost feel like a novice this time around.

11. toolman

Your tank should show something other than 0 nitrites and nitrates if it's been cycling that long. Something is wrong.

12. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you that is what I'm trying to figure out. I just checked my calendar and it was set up July 1. Im going to do a major waterchamge tomorrow and hope for the best. Do you think the larger filter is ok or should I switch to my fluval 50g filter? Also the air stone? Thank you for responding. I don't want to lose my last two guppies. All other fish are fine no heavy breathing or odd behaviors. They are all happy and interact with me. (Odd to some but they follow me if I go to the tank)

13. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

If ur tank is cycled it will show 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and u will want nitrates. Ammonia is very toxic to fish, nitrite is as well but less toxic than ammonia..when fish in cycling it is imperative 2 test for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Do not switch the filter...the bulk of ur beneficial bacteria is located in ur filter. Be vigilant with testing parameters and water changes.

14. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you. I haven't touched the filter media at all. I do know that. Water change is being done again tomorrow. Just wondering if I should leave the larger filer on or switch to the same filter just the 50 instead of the 70. Also the bubbler.

15. OP
    OP
    C

They take the same media just the sponge would need to be trimmed a little. Everything else would be the same

16. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

If the flow of the filter is causing stress then yes I would say change it for the 50. Can u turn the air stone down.

17. OP
    OP
    C

The pump doesn't seem to have a control but I can look into that. The flow from the filer has an artificial branch/plant tucked into part of it to lessen the turbulence but you can see some small bubbles under the water beneath the outlet. Two of the remaining guppies have always played in that area as did the other females. The female that just died I found 10 mins after checking on her stuck to the intake dead that is why I'm wondering also if the larger filer may be too strong for the guppies.

18. OP
    OP
    C

Caitlin86 In the 1st photo (behind my photo bombing angelfish) Ro the left you can see yellow/orange that is the outlet and with out the bubbler. The second photo is with the bubbler.

Attached Files:

19. toolman

The filter is fine I have two on my daughters 55 gallon guppy mansion (she's 9) .

You should be seeing more nitrites this far into the cycle. Did you find your ammonia test? I don't know what's going on but I fear something is hindering your cycle. I'm really curious about the ammonia.

20. OP
    OP
    C

I did not. I'm going to buy one today. I'm actually hoping they have another master test kit at the store. I'm going to replace the one I have. The water does look a little less cloudy today but again I will t st and update this afternoon.