Update and advice, plz!

BettaGammaDelta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heya, well, I haven't been here a while. I really should update my profile...

So right now, my old ten gallon contains Saix, my dwarf gourami, five cherry barbs, a somewhat stunted bronze corydoras called Badou, and my last remaining glass shrimp (I'll explain the saga of the shrimp in a minute). I know that's somewhat overstocked, but after a very minor cycle crash when I added the barbs, I haven't had any probelms. I do a 1/3 water change once a week, and still use Stress Coat+ as my water conditioner.

My five gallon used to contain my last betta, Skrymir, but after a massive misjudgement on my part, is now empty, and cycling on a piece of raw shrimp. The only real thing I've decided is that I'm done with labyrinth-organ fish in there, and having decided that, re-substrated with sand to remind myself of this. My current thoughts are to have a few guppies, or one of the smaller tetra species, maybe an ADF. Any ideas?

I had thought of a pufferfish, but after reading up on them, I feel like they're too demanding. Think I'll stick to strictly freshwater critters for now.

My last tank is a small 2 1/2 gallon, and contains my other shrimp, Rosanna, who I think is an american rock shrimp - stockier than my glass shrimp Bob, with reddish patterning in certain lights and a //very// agressive attitude. She killed and half-ate Skrymir, killed two of her companions and drove the third to jump out of the tank and die on the floor. I've got her in there on her own until I can figure out what to do. I feed her with sinking catfish pellets once every couple of days.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dwarf puffer fish are completely freshwater, if that changes your decision at all.

What about a pair of dwarf frogs? I've never kept them, but I'm pretty sure they work great in small tanks.

BettaGammaDelta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've now put a couple of golden apple snails in, since the tank was all cycled and it was just sitting there slowly un-cycling with the lack of rotten prawn. Am I still okay to put a couple of froggies in?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
5 gallon would make a great shrimp tank, just make sure you get harmless ones like red cherries. Guppies and tetras, unless you can get some ember tetras, need at least a 10 gallon. ADF, dwarf puffers, sparkling gourami (I know you said no labrynth but wanted to throw that out anyway), ember tetras and shelldwellers would all work.

-Lisa

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
if the water parameters are good some adfs are ideal for any of those tanks they would grow very fast in a small tank as they would have to compete for food

BettaGammaDelta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like tank is cycled. I'd say it's safe to add a couple of ADF's.

I think 5 gallon isn't big enough for shellies.
Shell Dweller Cichlid

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads