Update :Agh! any suggestions on helping the regrowth of fins on a ct?

1. lyndra Member Member

HI everyone!

A month ago I joined this forum begging help for my little guy who had a run in with a family member and a tank containing two Honey Gouramis, Four Cichlids , one red tail shark, two albino plectos and two neon tetra .. you can see my origional plea
    Here

And you here is a photo of him the day it happened

Firesong has been doing pretty well, I haven't got a photo of him at the moment because it's dark and I broke his tank light and haven't managed to get a new one... I cannot take a flash photo of him.. he comes to the edge of the tank to investigate the preflash light and runs away when it goes dark again.. geh! but I _do_ have a short video of him youtube

He has just had his usual water change, fresh weeds put in often (and chaged often to reduce a build up of matter - the ones in there are on their way out) and a very thin slice of garlic every evening (I keep cloves of garlic in the freezer and it's really easy to cut a paper thin slice)

His fins are regrowing really well, he has regained the deep blue of his body (the video makes the colour funny because I as using a yellow reading light) which was red with stress a month ago. He is active and lively again and back to watching everything that goes on his _his_ kitchen!

Just to show off what he was like before he was nipped.. here is my pretty boy showing off to his reflection in the glass (tehe he totally deserves the name 'Firesong' if anyone has read some of the Valdemar Winds Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey they will get it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7expxyIpA

I just wanted to say a huge

THANK YOU!!
    :;cr:;cr:;cr

to everyone for their advice!

2. lyndra Member Member

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Oh lyndra you are doing brilliant already :) He certainly looks happy and alot healthier than he did, I would just say keep up with what you are doing.

4. lyndra Member Member

Thanks!

I'm really glad that he is a lot more active.. he has always been a very fun fish to have around and when I was taking the video just before he was chasing the cat who was walking past the tank (and being shoo'd off the bench.. there are many reasons Firesong has a lid to his tank.. two are small, fluffy and feline)

He is responding well, it took almost a week for him to settle and regain his colour and he has only started zipping around his tank again in the last fortnight or so... I think he had to relearn how to swim when he lost his fins.. he spent the first couple of weeks at the top of the tank, jus beow the surface flapping his little fins and getting nowhere fast - one they started to grow he became more efficient, less flappy and a little faster.

I'm just soooo happy that he's doing ok

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lyndra. He's looking great! I agree with Diggly just keep doing whatever you've been doing. So glad to hear that he is getting better!
    Beautiful Betta!
    Ken

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm glad to see they're growing back so quickly! :) You must be keeping his water really clean!

Btw, Mercedes Lackey is one of my all time favorite fantasy writers. I first discovered her (and the fantasy genre) when I stumbled across the The Black Gryphon in a used bookstore more than a decade ago. Love at first read. The name is definitely appropriate. :p

If you haven't read it, "Bardic Voices" is another great series. :;hf

7. lyndra Member Member

I started reading ML after an afternoon of boredom where my boyfriend handed me 'The Fire Rose' so that he could finish his book in peace.. it was love at first read for me too! I have read a couple of the Bardic voices books but did not enjoy them as the Elemental Masters or Valgrath books which I read often (as in at least a trilogy or two a week.. I like re reading books and it takes me a couple of months to get through all the ML books I read before I loop around and start again)

tehe.. back on topic..

I haven't done anything exceptional with him, I haven't used any store brought products, just clean water, plain old garlic and regular feedings (mmm he loves bloodworm, flakes and the very occasional bit of greenery of my plate - he sits next to me at dinner and is as bad as the puppy for begging for food: be it spinach or lettice or a bit of a pea) I do keep a good eye on the balence of his tank as well.

8. Diggly Well Known Member Member

You are showing him love and nursing him back to health, its the little things that we do that keep our finned babies happy and healthy :).

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You've done a wonderful job getting Firesong healed!
    He looks so happy and healthy compared to the last time we saw him :)

10. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Wow... he looks worlds better than the sad little guy of just one month ago. What a wonderful job you've done nurturing and loving him! He's such a cutie.

11. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Well done you, he is a lovely little fish, and showing typical betta style of "greed"!

12. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh he's looking MUCH better :D

13. Neji Member Member

Bettas don't do well with gouramis or cichlids. They need to be by themselves and the fins will grow back. Just do usual water changes or you can do a water change every day if you like :) All fishes, will grow back anything that is missing on the outside of the body. Such as the fins and scales will grow back. Although the internal organs won't grow back since most of the internal organs are vital organs.

Good luck!

Neji

14. lyndra Member Member

I know! I was _so_ angry when I came home and saw that his tank was empty and then rushed to the community tank to rescue him - my father had placed in him there while his tank was being cleaned... he spent less then an hour in the big tank before I got to him.

He seems to be happy and is growing well.. I was fairly concerned as he was very stressed and I don't know how old he is.. I've had him about 6 months now and I do not think he was very young when I got him becuse he had full, long fins and his colour has dulled a bit recently - I was concerned that because I think he may be old that the stress would be too much for him.

15. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Glad to see hes doing well :)

16. lyndra Member Member

Tehe.. today after his water change Firesong was allowed a mirror for the first time since 'the accident' - I have not given him a chance to flare for a while because I wanted to reduce stress as much as I could and did not want him to damage his fins..

here is a video of him nomming on bloodworm and flaring at his reflection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_w-HygOX8&feature=channel

17. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

He is a gorgeous boy! I can see why you are so proud of him!

18. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Such a pretty boy!
    I'm not usually a fan of red bettas but wow! He takes my breath away even if he's still missing his fins.
    (p.s. great video quality)

19. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Mercedes Lackey is one of my favorite authors..The winds trilogy was awesome but I have to admit my favorite is the Heralds series with the last herald mage trilogy being my all time fav! I can certainly see that his name fits! Congrats on a well healing boy!

20. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

He looks wonderful. (Your dog barking got the attention of all the furballs here. heehee)