Upcoming temperature drop

JoeCal52

I figured this would be a good place to post this.
My power company is planning two power outages lasting 6 hours a piece on October 6th and October 23rd.
I keep my house at 70° and I was wondering if 6 hours is going to make a big difference in the water temperature which is kept at 78°
I heard of some people wrapping tanks and blankets and I also have a propane heater which I'm a little skeptical of using while I'm sleeping cuz the outages are going to be from 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
I also heard of battery operated heaters none of my pet stores have them and to get one shipped would come too late
Any ideas I certainly appreciate it and I'm sorry I didn't post back about my nitrate ammonia and nitrates whichever now been established and tank is cycled
Have a wonderful day sorry for the long post but I don't feel like losing another bunch of fish

ruud

I don't use heaters in most of my tanks.

It helps to know what animals you're keeping in your tanks.

In most parts of the natural world, it is not 78F the whole time. If your tank temp drops from 78 to 70 (which perhaps it doesn't over the course of 6 hours, especially with a lit) you are fine.

Going the other way around is actually something to be more careful with. Again, it depends on species.

JoeCal52

I don't use heaters in most of my tanks.

It helps to know what animals you're keeping in your tanks.

In most parts of the natural world, it is not 78F the whole time. If your tank temp drops from 78 to 70 (which perhaps it doesn't over the course of 6 hours, especially with a lit) you are fine.

Going the other way around is actually something to be more careful with. Again, it depends on species.
Thanks ruud I should have let you know what's in my tank sorry about that at this point there are only four shark three black with red fin and one albino my other albino I can't find maybe he's in a house somewhere. The fish store told me they keep their tanks for these fish around 77 and if you don't think my temperature would drop within 6 hours then I guess I'm okay.
I was going to go total sharks cuz I love them but these guys like to hide and there's no action in the tank I'm going to look for a chart with what is compatible with sharks and get some that move around in school more I used to love my Daniels but I don't know if they get along

ruud

77.... that's the default advice given to any fish labeled "tropical"

A lit has huge impact on temp regulation, so if your tank has a lit, just let it drop. Nothing to worry about.

For most fish, keeping temps constant is not beneficial, but that's just how heaters work.

JoeCal52

77.... that's the default advice given to any fish labeled "tropical"

A lit has huge impact on temp regulation, so if your tank has a lit, just let it drop. Nothing to worry about.

For most fish, keeping temps constant is not beneficial, but that's just how heaters work.
Thanks very much for the reply I was just afraid because of the last frost we had we lost power for 7 days I lost $200 worth of fish and the last to survive at 49° was my pleco I thought he was going to make it.
Anyway thank you very much for this assistance I could rest easy now

Lucy

If it were me, I'd use a battery powered air pump with a sponge filter.
Since your pet stores are out, check out walmart of sporting goods store. Fishereople use air pumps as well.

I'd also wrap the tank in blankets to hold in the warmth.

Ruud is probably correct but for myself, I'd err on the side of caution especially since our temps are starting to drop at night.

JoeCal52

If it were me, I'd use a battery powered air pump with a sponge filter.
Since your pet stores are out, check out walmart of sporting goods store. Fishereople use air pumps as well.

I'd also wrap the tank in blankets to hold in the warmth.

Ruud is probably correct but for myself, I'd err on the side of caution especially since our temps are starting to drop at night.
I checked around online and there's nobody here locally I'm very rural where I could pick up a battery powered heater or air pump not too much worried about an air pump as I have the temperature cuz sometimes I let my house go down to 68 at night for financial reasons. I do have a blanket that fits all around and I could lightly wrap it with a bungee cord or masking tape it closed and that'll do the trick
Thank you for everybody's responses and ideas that's why I come to this place you're all great

ruud

Thanks very much for the reply I was just afraid because of the last frost we had we lost power for 7 days I lost $200 worth of fish and the last to survive at 49° was my pleco I thought he was going to make it.
Anyway thank you very much for this assistance I could rest easy now

7 days at 49°.... that might be different....

68 room temp at night, you say, and they do fine, right?

You might perhaps be fine keeping temp at 70-72 year-round. This is your minimum. During the day, in spring- and summertime, temperature in Virginia increases. And so does your tank temperature. I would need to research those shark you have, but for up to 50% of the fish in our hobby, this would be a fine practice.

Stability is highly overrated in our hobby; the only thing you really need to keep stable is having crystal clear, oxygen rich water. Certain breeding purposes, is perhaps the exception.

Regarding the air pump, I think I understand it, but it will likely speed up the temperature drop. 6 hours of no technology is fine.

I have tanks without technology the whole year :)

ProudPapa

Lucy made a good point. I'd be more concerned about oxygen depletion than temperature. If the tank is well planted you can probably get by without added oxygen, but if not it's something to keep an eye on.

ruud

Luckily dissolved oxygen is higher in lower temps. And the difference is significant.

But agree, dissolved oxygen is one of the most important aspects in the hobby. And strangely, it is oftentimes overlooked.

It is also advisable to feed fish less during colder periods. Because fish simply require less. And because you don't stimulate oxidising microbes this way. You won't kill our little friends; they remain dormant till the good times roll again.

JoeCal52

7 days at 49°.... that might be different....

68 room temp at night, you say, and they do fine, right?

You might perhaps be fine keeping temp at 70-72 year-round. This is your minimum. During the day, in spring- and summertime, temperature in Virginia increases. And so does your tank temperature. I would need to research those shark you have, but for up to 50% of the fish in our hobby, this would be a fine practice.

Stability is highly overrated in our hobby; the only thing you really need to keep stable is having crystal clear, oxygen rich water. Certain breeding purposes, is perhaps the exception.

Regarding the air pump, I think I understand it, but it will likely speed up the temperature drop. 6 hours of no technology is fine.

I have tanks without technology the whole year :)
Sorry I'm just seeing this post now but letting you know all did go fine with the power outage and they're doing another 6-hour power outage tonight and the temperature here is quite mild expecting only to go down to 55 tonight.
The only different thing I'm going to do is I'm going to unplug everything on the tank because the last power outage we had caused my heater to fail from a power surge now everything's on the surge protector
Thanks for your input my friend

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies
Views
Awaken_Riceball_
Replies
Views
LadyGrey
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
david1978

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

For those of us with MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) we need to be careful and not cross-contaminate our other tanks. Tanks and Plants wrote an article on:
Simple way to prevent cross contamination in your tanks

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom